Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is thinking about a 2004 Pontiac GTO.

Has anyone driven one?

Is there a fun factor?

I am not a Grand Prix or Grand Am fan but I also have not driven one, but we love the old GTO's.

One of the dealers here had some for $33k but then they nicely added $8k in paint and fabric protection and they cut a hole in the roof
and called it a sunroof :lol: For a total of $41k.
So, obviously I would not buy from that dealer but I have seen them in other states for $29k.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this. 8)

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp?br ... ename=home

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wait for the 2005. It will have the LS2 (Corvette Engine) boasting a powerful 400hp & 400fp tq. Which should bring that 0-60 down to sub 5.0.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
My husband is thinking about a 2004 Pontiac GTO.

Has anyone driven one?

Is there a fun factor?

I am not a Grand Prix or Grand Am fan but I also have not driven one, but we love the old GTO's.

One of the dealers here had some for $33k but then they nicely added $8k in paint and fabric protection and they cut a hole in the roof
and called it a sunroof :lol: For a total of $41k.
So, obviously I would not buy from that dealer but I have seen them in other states for $29k.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this. 8)

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp?br ... ename=home

I'm a huge fan of muscle cars of the 60's but the new GTO is a joke, IMO, yes it has a corvette engine, but the body is a cheap Australian knock off of a Cavaliar. the GTo is such a sales disapointment that GM is already gone back to the drawing board with a 05 restyle that includes 18" wheels and a non functioning hood scoop,and will addd the C6's 400hp to please the GTO enthusiests that are so dispointed.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i have heard several car mags do reviews and they all say that it is a "dissapointment". i think its fairly fast in a stright line, but they say the handling is not very good and the overall quality ,etc ,etc... is a letdown.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
...so it doesn't burn Gas Tires & Oil anymore?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I read about its new engine coming in '05. BUT, I still woudn't purchase that GTO. I liked it original shape better by Holden in Australia.

My personal opinion. No offense to your hubby. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
bradical said:
i have heard several car mags do reviews and they all say that it is a "dissapointment". i think its fairly fast in a stright line, but they say the handling is not very good and the overall quality ,etc ,etc... is a letdown.
Just curious where you have seen these "disappointment" reviews? I have followed the new GTOs pretty extensively and neither Car & Driver, Autoweek, Motor Trend, or Road & Track had anything bad to say about the car's handling and performance. Their only issue with the car was its weight (porky 3700lbs) and outside styling.

Yes, the styling is bland but the overall package is a very very nice car. It is considered the BEST interior GM has ever released. No "let-down" what so ever. Have you actually sat in one?? Also, it is by no means "the body is a cheap Australian knock off of a Cavaliar". This car is based on the Holden Monero, a Stigma chassied vehicle that is RWD and has IRS. People, please do some research before you start mouthing off false accusations like these... [-X

Sweet, definitely tell your husband to go drive one and make up his own mind. The '05s are going to get better with the addition of the 400hp LS2, dual exit exhaust, and optional hood scopes. http://www.newagegto.com/05GTO.html

Might be worth the wait till December. But, if you want to pick up a '04, they can be had for pretty cheap since they are not selling that well. There's one dealer in Dallas selling them well below MSRP (GM-S if you qualify for that) and they have a bunch on the lot to choose from. PM me if you want more info.

Here's a great forum for them:

http://www.newagegto.com/forum/index.php?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The GTO is an umpteen reincarnation of Opel Omega. We're talking late 1980s style and dynamics. Not sure how much sense it made to mate Corvette V8 to such a foundation. It's a better all-around package than Rustang and does have the best seats in all of GM, but that's not unlike saying - compared to yours, my girlfriend isn't so ugly. If the late Mitsu Diamante is any guide, Aussie cars tend to have the build quality of a milk crate. I've seen the GTO upclose and for the mid $30K asking price it was nothing spectactular. Oh, and don't forget the " wonderful " Pontiac purchase/service experience. BTW, don't BMW stores sell certified M3s ?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
topguy said:
I liked it original shape better by Holden in Australia.
I agree, the Holden Monaro CV8R looks better. I'd give the GOAT another year or so for improvement.

·
Registered
292 Posts
pudicus said:
The GTO is an umpteen reincarnation of Opel Omega. We're talking late 1980s style and dynamics. Not sure how much sense it made to mate Corvette V8 to such a foundation. It's a better all-around package than Rustang and does have the best seats in all of GM, but that's not unlike saying - compared to yours, my girlfriend isn't so ugly. If the late Mitsu Diamante is any guide, Aussie cars tend to have the build quality of a milk crate. I've seen the GTO upclose and for the mid $30K asking price it was nothing spectactular. Oh, and don't forget the " wonderful " Pontiac purchase/service experience. BTW, don't BMW stores sell certified M3s ?
I know I'm arguing semantics here :wink: but I don't understand a few of your comments. The Monero (GTO) is based on a shortened Sigma chassis, which is also shared by the Holden Commodore, Opel Omega, Cadillac Catera, Vauxhaul, Cadillac CTS, and a plethora of new and upcoming vehicles. Heck, the brand new full size Cadillac STS & SRX is based on it as well. While the Sigma chassis has been around since the mid-‘90’s, it’s current iteration still a proven and solid platform. GM has a new global architecture strategy that comprises a central floorpan and two or three different front and rear floorpan modules to produce a cross-market variety of products on the same assembly line. This makes the Sigma chassis very versatile, completely modernized, and a basis for futures vehicles to come. I wouldn’t call that late-‘80s style and dynamics. :)

Also I don’t understand your V8 comment. Holden, and the Commodore model line especially, have used V8s in their cars for decades. Do you know much about Holden's history? They offered the first V8 in their cars in 1969. Why not offer the latest variation (the LS1 is NOT a Corvette-exclusive engine btw) of one in their current platform? Why does that not make any sense to you?

Finally, at GTO is priced in the low $30k’s, not mid, can be had in the high $20k’s at this point :wink: and my GMC/Pontiac purchase and service experience has been great over the years. It really comes down to the dealer you choose. YES, there are TONS of crappy GM dealers but there are those few gems out there. Same can be said about Infiniti dealers, but I'm sure they are more good ones, statistically, than bad ones compared to Pontiac so I will give you that :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice performance, but they are not selling very well - the design is too bland...

From Autoweek:
Pontiac may offer an optional hood with air scoops as a way of clearing out 2004 GTOs still in stock before the improved 2005 model goes on sale. Dealers are having success selling GTOs fitted with aftermarket scoops, so the company may pull ahead the optional 2005 hood for 2004 models, says Pontiac-GMC general manager Jim Bunnell. Pontiac sold 3687 GTOs through June and has a 255-day (6100-vehicle) supply of ’04s.

For 2005 GTO (above) gets the LS2 6.0-liter V8 with 400 hp and 395 lb-ft of torque (up 50 hp and 30 lb-ft vs. the ’04 model), optional hood with scoops, dual exhaust outlets and larger brakes.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au
=====================
While Pryg conceded that sales of the current GTO had been "disappointing'' he was adamant that lessons learned would make moving the revised 2005 car - due to be launched in December or January - much easier.

He admitted: ``Nobody is saying it is not a great car to drive but the less aggressive look of the GTO did not go down well with many people and the fact that it was launched in winter at the slowest selling time of the US market did not help either.

"The 2005 car addresses many of the issues and will certainly appeal to more traditional GTO purists.

"With the revisions and the addition of the new engine I am really confident that the GTO is going to be a winner.

"It will definitely have a future as the hero performance car for Pontiac - the meanest and fastest performance star in the badge."

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh, and don't forget the " wonderful " Pontiac purchase/service experience.
I've been through it three times, at three different dealerships...along with Dodge, Ford(twice), Saab, Hyundai(twice), Chevy, and Infiniti. The only standout has been the Infiniti service experience...but at a much higher cost. You might say that we're getting what we paid for, but honestly, the only real extra I'm seeing now is the free loaners.

We still own his & her Grand Prix GTPs ('98 & '99), and outside of an initial purchase problem (entire vehicle replaced due to coolent in 2 cylindars just over 100mi.!), I burned through a transmission at 40k miles (which I was able to get Pontiac to split the cost on). Both vehicles have over 60k, and run well.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. :D

So for now...

it seems like we will have to test drive the 2005 when they come out.

(thanks for the link goldenboy, were very helpful)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts