Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

Somewhere on the Stillen STB Group Buy thread someone mentioned they were going to "polish up" their strut bar. Got me wonderin....

Is there any kind of surface protectant we should apply to these to maintain appearance? Given the temperatures in there I haven't a clue what I'd use.

Is this even necessary?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Someone posted a picture of one they polished, which looks really nice, but I believe is unnecessary for protection. I have nothing on mine, in my opinion you shouldn't need to put anything on to protect it, if for whatever reason it starts to discolor, corrode, etc. that is a manufacturer defect...

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what they polished it with?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The first thing you must have is patience , because when your STB gets to your door you will want to put it on. Your not going to just buff this thing out by hand unless you enjoy having swollen fingers. You need to get the brushed metal look out . I power sanded first with 3 grades of sand paper (for metals bought local autoparts,emery cloth sheets), corse to not so corse (fine) until the metal becomes smooth(I used every sandpaper I bought). Then buffed with steel wool buy hand until you see a shine. :) Last step is buffing out with chrome polish, I used Mother Chrome Polish. Let the polish do the work here , this part takes the least effort :D Steel wooled the gold off the bolts .I now polish every time I give the FX a bath. Hope this helps others.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Babaluwee. Think it could be done w/a hand held sander or did you need to use a bench sander?

·
Registered
520 Posts
you think that polish could be used on the stock plenum? to get a nice polished look to it?

·
Registered
787 Posts
A hand held is fine , all you need to do is get the brushed aluminum look off . Aluminum is a soft metal so easy to sand and polish. Corse paper will get the lines out then other papers to get the metal smooth.Oh yea its Mothers Aluminum Polish not Mothers Chrome Polish :oops:. Also by sanding you will not have to think what you will use to get all the tape gule off the STB. Stock Plenum im not sure but possible,would just need the right tools. If I were going to do the stock plenum I would first look into a small local shops that polishes metals to get prices. Hey LIRob keep us posted on this project.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again Babaluwee. Just wonderin though. When you said keep posted about the project did you mean me about polishing The STB? Or did you mean, perhaps, carsunltd and polishing the plenum?

Shoot man. You already showed us the way on polishing hte STB. (Thank you very much.)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
moved by me :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.