Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever owned a car by another luxury marque? If so, how does the Infiniti's quality, fit and finish, reliability, etc compare to that brand?

My sister-in-law is asking for my help in choosing a sport sedan or coupe to replace her Toyota Camry. She wants to go upscale but is afraid that it may mean a significant increase in trips to the dealership. She's under the impression that German cars are more prone to problems than Japanese luxury cars. She's not even considering Cadillac as their resale value is in the toilet.

I told her about my experience with a 1996 BMW 328i convertible that was rock solid but some interior pieces did start falling off. The leather also began cracking even though I took very good care of the car.

So I'd like to recommend an Infiniti G35 coupe or sedan to her but I have very limited experience with this marque. I'm hoping some of you Infiniti old timers can shed some light on the reliability question. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I strongly recommend NOT to get the Mercedes E500 lots...s of problem, I try to prevent anyone from making the same mistake that I did. I owned new Honda, new Toyota and I must say Infiniti is number 1 in quality and service.
FYI: Check out the new Infiniti M cars coming out soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
GeneArch said:
Though I've only had my FX a month... I'd rate it a somewhat distant second to Lexus.
I wouldnt, I have a Lexus IS300 right now, and as far as im concerned its a P.O.S., I would have been better off getting a corolla. Although my brother has a RX330 and it seems to be better.

Cant wait to get my FX45

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
GeneArch said:
Though I've only had my FX a month, I'd rate it a somewhat distant second to Lexus.
Why'd you buy it, then?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I love FX's design and athletic nature but its assemply and material quality need to be improved to be called "luxury" brand.

Regarding other brands, I liked overall quality of Lexuses but they were little boring. My wife's favorate was BMW and we didn't have any problem with it.

For a sport sedan, Audi A4 or BMW 3 will be nice choice but G35 has more "bang for the buck".

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have owned both Acura (still do) and Infiniti in the so-called "luxury marque." I would say that "Infiniti's quality, fit and finish, etc" compares more or less equally to Acura (some areas better some not). Too soon to comment on Infiniti reliability; but I have been very hapy with Acura (three vehicles).

Since your sister-in-law is asking for help in choosing a sport sedan or coupe - I highly recommend the Acura TL w/ Nav. I think it is the finest sedan on the road for the money. If she goes for a coupe I'd certainly consider the G35 (but coupe only; 4-door sedan go for the TL).

FYI: In my opinion Lexus is great but very expensive. I believe that both Acura and Infiniti offer greater bang-for-the-buck over Lexus.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It depends on your perseption of quality. All cars have manufacture problems...so it really boils down to your relationship with the service manager. It also is dependent on how much you spent on the vehicle. An example of this is the top of the line Toyota Camery is basically a Lexus ES300. Why go marque?

I agree with msu79gt82, tha Acura TL is a good choice for her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me start by saying I'm a serious car geek and have owned a lot of different brands. Some examples would be Land Rover, Toyota, Acura, BMW, Mazda, VW, Audi and my FX is my 2nd Infiniti. I'm extremely anal :shock: about my cars in all aspects.

Based on my experiences with these brands, I would rank Infiniti at least equal to some and better than most I've owned, overall. My BMW's interior wore out quickly, my Land Rover had electronic problems, my Acura looked like a boring Honda, etc... They all had their issues.

It depends on what you're looking for. I think Infiniti could improve on some of their interior materials but other interior and exterior materials as well as the technology Infiniti employs in the engines and electronics are well beyond other premium brands I've owned. In some areas, an attempt to have a fresh, cutting edge design has produced some less than perfect materials (i.e center armrest)

In my opinion, Infiniti tends to market themselves to a "younger thinking" buyer with performance oriented, leading-edge designed vehicles. Other manufacturers, such as Lexus, tend to attract an "older thinking" buyer who is looking for comfort and classic style. This is not to say that an older person won't purchase an Infiniti and vice-versa but I feel that this is the mindset when Designers design and Marketers market. I personally would be willing to live with some small quirks as opposed to driving a boring vehicle but in the case of the FX, I don't feel I have had to make this choice. It's the best of both worlds.

Overall, Infinti IS a luxury brand due to its features, options, performance, overall build quality, appeal and design. If you were to compare Infinti to non-luxury brands you'd be in the apples and oranges game.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I've had a 94 Lexus SC400 and a 2000 Mercedes CLK320 and currently own a 2001 Lexus LX470. Between my brother, parents and my in-laws I have extensively driven an Acura Integra and RSX, Audi A4, BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-Class (old and new), Infiniti G20, I30 and Lexus RX330.

For overall quality I'd say Lexus is head and shoulders above the rest, but aside from the SC I would probably concede their styling is pretty conservative, all things considered.

My feeling is that the European manufacturers QC varies greatly even from car to car. I was pretty disappointed in my 01 Mercedes but my father in law has had his Mercedes SL for 15 years and has no real issues with it. I had nothing but problems with "near luxury" brands like Volvo and Saab (my pre-FX vehicle).

For your sister's concern about having to be at the dealer in my opinion I would stick with the Japanese brands. Coming from a Camry she will feel very "at home" in the Lexus ES330.

Isn't buying cars fun??? :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
In terms of reliability alone Lexus LS, Infiniti Q and Acura RL are pretty much bomb-proof. In terms of long-term longevity Mercedes still is it. I see '79-80 model M-Bs on the road and they still look plenty decent for a 20-plus year vehicle. Don't think that apllies to the lazy crap they slap together in Alabama, though. The trouble with Lexus has mainly to do with its chopper-like maintenance cost. $400 for a 15K mile service on a shoebox like IS300 ? The 60K mile service on the LS costs well over $1100. WTF ? Although I own an Acura too I always failed to get worked up over that marque. And the reason they cost less is because you get what you pay for. But warts aside, Acura TL is the best FWD bang for the buck indeed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had more than my share of annoying electrical problems:

1 - 2003 broken NAV system (Disc Error)
2 - 2004 broken DVD player (Ejects Disc when turning off car)
3 - 2003 broken ICC (deactivates itself for no reason)
4 - 2004 broken unit in transmission (reverse lights and backup camera go on while driving)
5 - 2004 ABS problems (could not apply brakes, brakes applied automatically)

2003 == my first FX35 which was totalled thanks to some idiot driver pulling in front of me without even the ability to see the road.
2004 == my current FX35. Both B-16 fully loaded.

·
Registered
235 Posts
dinofx35 said:

4 - 2004 broken unit in transmission (reverse lights and backup camera go on while driving)

2003 == my first FX35 which was totalled thanks to some idiot driver pulling in front of me without even the ability to see the road.
so the dvd is NOT suppose to eject disc when you turn off the ignition? Mine does that right now and i thought it was normal!???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just for fun I thought I'd browse a couple of popular Lexus forums (since that appears to be the other luxury brand we compare Infiniti to the most) to see if they discuss similar issues to some of the one's raised here.

In the RX forums I found several posts regrading nitpicky interior issues, IPOD connectivity problems, Auto-Wiper problems, transmission problems, rattles from the back, ignition problems, Dash rattles, CD player not working, Engine idle problems, noises in the AC, squealing brakes. This all within the last 2 weeks.

Maybe I'm being petty but I thought a little perspective might be in order. I absolutely agree that we shouldn't have to deal with any of these issues, but thinking that Infiniti is inferior to other luxury brands due to it's shortcomings is a bit off.

·
Registered
320 Posts
maznblu said:
Just for fun I thought I'd browse a couple of popular Lexus forums (since that appears to be the other luxury brand we compare Infiniti to the most) to see if they discuss similar issues to some of the one's raised here.

In the RX forums I found several posts regrading nitpicky interior issues, IPOD connectivity problems, Auto-Wiper problems, transmission problems, rattles from the back, ignition problems, Dash rattles, CD player not working, Engine idle problems, noises in the AC, squealing brakes. This all within the last 2 weeks.

Maybe I'm being petty but I thought a little perspective might be in order. I absolutely agree that we shouldn't have to deal with any of these issues, but thinking that Infiniti is inferior to other luxury brands due to it's shortcomings is a bit off.
Exactly my point, Forums are meant to nit-pick issues and get things resolved. You never hear about someone praising the quality of their vehicle.

I know plenty of people (guys included) who wouldnt know If their car was out of alignment or what a "TSB" is for... :roll: We are in the minority from the overall car buyers branding thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
dinofx35 said:

Not too bad, in my book when you can cover 2 years in 5 items. My 01 MB ML430 was just in for service on 13 items. Small ones, but I make frequent trips to the dealer (monthly, maybe). Fortunately their service dept. is AWESOME and they are very accomodating with loaners, picking up-delivering vehicles, anything I need. But I'm hoping that my new Infiniti, 2 weeks old, isn't in the service dept. as often.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Leadfoot said:
dinofx35 said:

Not too bad, in my book when you can cover 2 years in 5 items. My 01 MB ML430 was just in for service on 13 items. Small ones, but I make frequent trips to the dealer (monthly, maybe). Fortunately their service dept. is AWESOME and they are very accomodating with loaners, picking up-delivering vehicles, anything I need. But I'm hoping that my new Infiniti, 2 weeks old, isn't in the service dept. as often.
To turn this into a MasterCard commercial:
Nav System: $900
DVD Player: $500
ICC sensor: $500
New Transmission: $5,000
ABS: Priceless. I haven't fixed it yet since it's only occured on two occasions.

These are just the electrical problems. I also had minor rattles and ticks in the 2003, and the rear hatch recall, ....

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Frankly I never even considered an Infiniti until the big shakeup at Nissan resulted in far more imaginative and edgy vehicles for both car groups. I didn't think the old Q was in the same class as the Lexus and Acura small SUVs.

We've had a Lexus RX300 for nearly 6 years and about 80K miles. It is absolutely the best automobile I've ever owned. Nary one problem! We'll probably get a RX 330 next year.

That said, I love my FX for the enjoyment it gives me (something I honestly can't say about the Lexus). I haven't had a car this fun to drive since my SHO. :D

After only two months, everything is still A-OK with no problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
davezaristo said:
so the dvd is NOT suppose to eject disc when you turn off the ignition? Mine does that right now and i thought it was normal!???
Absolutely not. This means you have to start over with the **** FBI warnings, trailers, menus, Dolby this and that etc. for every 5 minute trip! You'd never see the end of movie.

Get it fixed! They just replace the player. This problem occured on my 2004, the 2003 player worked fine (maybe you can find it in a salvage yard)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I only owned Chevy vehicles before the FX.

I was strictly a V8 type by Chevy only. I never looked at any other brands untill I decided I could afford a "nice" car now. I down sized from a full-size conversion van but did not want a "car" just something in the middle. But I prefer power/speed before wood trim/accents.

When I went test driving, that was all I needed to make up my mine.

Lexus = no power
Acura = a bit power but really honda looking inside
FX = I had "watch out here I come power"

When we left the Infiniti dealer after the test drive, I was like "that is the car I want" and 6 mts later go it and no regrets. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts