Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, folks, here it is; the Injen install thread from our Houston meet on 7/31 and intake install on DAVESNELLING's otherwise stock RWD FX35.

First off, The Injen appears to be of very good build quality and comes with good instructions. The install was very easy and I'd say just about anyone with opposable thumbs can do it :wink: .

You'll see a pic of everything Dave got below, including the heat sheild, whicj we decided NOT to install b/c it was agreed upon that it was uneccessary due to the placement of the filter in the FX. The only time it may be of use is if you used the intake in "short ram mode".

There aren't any pics of removing the stock unit. I think I had it all out of there before anyone knew what was going on. Who said that was the hard part of the install? Nothing more than loostening a couple of clamps, a few 10mm bolts and yanking it out (there is a plastic peg pressed into a rubber gromet on the bottom of the airbox; you just have to wiggle it a bit for it all to come out). There is also a resonator below the stock airbox (you'll see it in the pic) that is held on by two 10mm bolts. It helps to have fairly long arms and a universal joint on your socket to get these out. Finally, pop off the long center scoop as well, unless you'd really like it hanging there all by itself.

OK, first pics: Out with the old, in with the new...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First steps of the install:
1. place one of the provided sections of tubing on the throttle body and clamp down. *note* Two pieces of tubing come ith the kit and one is 1/8" larger in diameter than the other so make sure you use the right one. The larger one goes here.

2. clamp on the upper Injen tube (Oooo, purdy and VERY light) and secure to the plenum with the provided vibro-mount and washer/nut.

*This is all in the directions, so I'm just giving a brief outline here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. Transplant the MAF sensor into the provided receptacle on the Injen upper tube. Some have reported that the two screws securing the MAF were of the TORX variety, but we had good ol' phillips screws. Make sure you note the orientation of the MAF sensor when you take it out of the stock intake so that you don't get it in upside down.

4. secure the MAF wiring with a new tie-wrap.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5. use the other (smaller) piece of supplied tubing on the other end of the upper tube as well as the remaining two clamps.

6. Clamp the filter to the lower tube; this assembly will go in next.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7. Install the lower tube/filter assembly and tighten clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8. The bottom of the lower tube features a bracket that secures to the lower bulkhead shown below via another supplied vibra-mount/washer/nut that replaces the existing bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of the completed install:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Completed install with engine cover. Note in the second pic, it is a very tight fit where the edge of the engine cover meets the MAF. I actually had to unplug the MAF, install the cover, then plug it back in to get it to clear and seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, that's all folks. I'd like to give a special thanks to DAVESNELLING, GEAUX, GeoFX and GWISH for helping to heft all the Hienekens out of the way and pass me a couple of clamps. :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Gwish's camera is awesome. It took some really good pictures.

Except for the picture with the hairy arms. :shock: Scared me. :p

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GEAUX said:
Gwish's camera is awesome. It took some really good pictures.
Actually, all of these pictures were taken with my new 4 megapixel Konica Minolta DiMage Z2.

Except for the picture with the hairy arms. :shock: Scared me. :p
Hey! I resemble that remark! :oops:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
GREAT! ...just one ? , instead of removing the "long center scoop", can air be channeled by tubing , etc. toward the filter, can't hurt or can it? ...every little bit helps.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PINITI-FX said:
GREAT! ...just one ? , instead of removing the "long center scoop" can air be channeled by tubing , etc. toward the filter, can't hurt or can it? ...every little bit helps.
Oh, yeah, I was going to comment on that. it was SUPER hot that day and none of us felt like experimenting, but I think it should be fairly easy to either put tubing on the scoop where it sits and route it down to the filter area or mount the scoop loxer in the large, lower bumper opening and run tubing over from there. There isn't a lot of wxtra room down where the filter sits, so you couldn't route it directly against it for any kind of ram air effect, but you could at least get a supplemental flow of fresh, cold air down there. Dunno if it would help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
hey Dave , hope you saved your scoop / maybe this weekend you go back and "experiment" , and i'll let you know where the extra 6-pack was hidden!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Actually, all of these pictures were taken with my new 4 megapixel Konica Minolta DiMage Z2.

I stand corrected sir.

YOUR camera is awesome. I am going to check it out on the web now. Man, it is so much better than mine. I have a relatively new one. 4MP, but yours rocks.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did A LOT of research before deciding on the Z2. The only one that came close was the Canon S1 IS w/ image stabilization, but the Minolta's fatures and intuitive controls won out. Everyone I've showed it to wants one. It has tons of great features, a 10x optical zoom and can be had for around $400 with a decent sized memory card.

·
Registered
443 Posts
awesome guide!

i am planning to buy the Injen intake

i will buy it from the injen dealer of ontario or Quebec..

:D

i can't wait..

^.^

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Very nice install. :D

One stupid question, why does his pleunum have divits with black marks? Its bothering me. :?

Here is what mine looked like, see no black marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed that as well, but didn't wipe the sweat out of my eyes to take a good look. They aren't divets, though, just residue from what are likley a couple of foam pads on the underside of the cover.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Since, mine is just hanging on the wall (nothing else going on at 10pm :roll: ) I checked and it does has foam blocks on the underside.

It just looked weird in the pic.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts