Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas?

On my 2009 FX50, when I leave the vehicle in ACC mode (engine off, A/C off, lights off).. after about 5-10 minutes, the system freezes up (assuming it is because there is not enough power to supply ACC needs).. once it freezes, you can't do anything but turn off the car from ACC... at that point you're hosed.. you can't start the car and if you try.. you get the telltale clicking of the starter not turning over.

At this point.. things seem to be clearly in the dead batter camp..

You can jump start the car and everything starts up fine. but, and here is the strange thing, .. after jumping the car.. I can turn it off and on multiple times immediately.. no re-charging of the battery, no driving around etc.. If it truly were a dying battery, wouldn't I not be able to start right away?

So, if it is not the battery, does anyone know of what else may be causing this issue when in ACC mode?

I took it to the dealer about a month ago after the first elec crash, they found nothing and said the battery was good... it is only this week that I can reproduce the elec failure in the way described.

.. any help would be much appreciated.

· Premium Member
3,597 Posts
John would really be the guy to diagnose this but if I had to guess, I'd say there's some sort of failsafe that Infiniti has built in to prevent you from draining the battery. Maybe somehow the additional voltage (14v vs 12v from the battery) sparks the system back into working? Definitely sounds like an odd problem though

· Premium Member
391 Posts
The same thing happened to me once in April of 09. Like you I had the stealership check it out and was told [email protected]#$%^&=BS. The battery checked good and sent on my way. I have found several other 09 owners who have had the same condition.

· Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Yea i was gonna say ive seen this posted before. Even after you jump it, it only takes a minute or two of running to charge the battery enough for a subsequent start. There seems to be a large draw with the car in ACC mode. The dealer should check with a meter what the current draw is. You should be able to keave the ACC on for at least 30 mins in any vehicle with minimal accessories on (no heater or AC blower, no heated/cooled seats, no cranking the radio, no headlights, etc).

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx all,

I'm going to take it in again.. but this time, since the issue is now reproducible, maybe they can figure it out... will post update when/if it gets fixed.

· Premium Member
10,511 Posts
johnmax said:
You should be able to keave the ACC on for at least 30 mins in any vehicle with minimal accessories on (no heater or AC blower, no heated/cooled seats, no cranking the radio, no headlights, etc).
I had my FX on at a school BBQ cranking music for about 2 hrs w/o the battery draining (and this even after I've already killed my battery a couple of times) till I started the engine to let it run and recharge the battery for a bit before shutting down the engine and cranking music again for another hr or so... so the 1st gen FX doesn't have this problem...

I remember my mom & dad's first year of the current gen 5 series would drain itself DRY when left for about 1 week without starting the engine... apparently there was still a significant draw even when the car is off... don't know if they ever made a fix for it...

· Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday ninety degree weather drove 2009 Infiniti FX50S to store.Inside an hour came out to start car, only the passenger door would unlock other three and tailgate locked down.Push button starter would not start the car, shift wouldn't move from park.Would light up LOCK or ACC and even whatever that third(ON?) is that starts the car(senior moment).Don't recall hearing the click.Fussed around for half hour in the heat of the day, no luck starting.Was able a few times to disengage shift to neutral.Tried the Intelligence Key(ha ha) no luck.The main lock/unlock on driver door would not unlock the other doors.Sometimes it worked.A few times could get tail gate open.Infiniti had Roadside Assist come, he put on the battery charger and BAM it started right up.Had them tow it to the dealership.They called and no problem driving it around the parking lot.

As an aside for a couple weeks the windshield washers would come on while driving(2 or 3 times) thought I hit something wrong.Also, touch the button to shut off engine after garaging and it would come back o ACC.

Finally, power surge.Originally took it to dealership a few months ago as braking at stop sign it would need added brake application as it didn't stop.Dealership said never heard of this complaint with the FX50, they moved a FAST PASS transponder on front windshield I'd recently applied and told me the placement interfered with the camera.Seemed logical.Last week before the episode yesterday I swore it did it again, but thought maybe it was me not applying brakes hard enough.

They still have my car.I love, love, love the Infiniti, best car I've ever owned.Any thoughts? ::?

· Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad BCM or IPDM module, maybe even a bad battery or ground connection since so many systems are affected.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*Update on original post*

Took it to the dealer.. after 4 hours, they said it was just a bad battery (1.5 yrs old), although the mechanic said that the symptoms were odd, it was definitly bad this time (as opposed to three weeks ago when they said it was fine).. .. let's hope that's all it was.. it'll be nice to not have to carry juper cables anymore.

· Premium Member
10,511 Posts
sjsthebean said:
Finally, power surge.Originally took it to dealership a few months ago as braking at stop sign it would need added brake application as it didn't stop
This was mentioned by another FX50 owner before... can't remember when or where or who (yeah... I have MY senior moments too :p )... but this isn't the first I've heard of it... if I were you I'd make a stink about it... wouldn't be good for INFINITI to have this problem when TOYOTA is going through their ACCELERATOR issues...

· Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Yeah, the next time it happens, I would IMMEDIATELY call Roadside Assistance and wouldn't fiddle with ANYTHING in the car. I'd INSIST that they didn't touch anything and JUST tow it to the dealer. And I'd go with the car to the dealer and make sure that they saw the problem before anyone jumped anything, wiggled any cables, or played with anything

· Registered
2 Posts
I had a very similar experience with my 2003 FX45 with tech package. After many trips to the dealership, 3 new batteries (2 of them Optima Yellow Tops $$$$, thank god I work for the company that makes them $) and inconvenient jump starts I finally called Nissian USA. The dealer had my FX for over a week, but finally solved the problem. The solution was a bad BCM (Body Control Module). Good thing I purchased the extended warrany, that one problem would of cost just under $ 2000.00, not including a rental car. It has been over 8 months since the repair and everything is wonderful with the FX45

Good luck.

· Registered
6 Posts
i just went through this problem and have discovered it was my fault. it seems that you can carelessly turn on acc. when turning off
the running engine. it's that simple. just make sure you havent inadvertently activated acc. when exiting the vehicle.

good luck

· Premium Member
3,597 Posts
I'm assuming you don't have the tech package? Because the other night I did exactly this... I didn't 100% turn the knob to off and I knew I was only running inside for 2 minutes so I didn't bother and the car absolutely SCREAMED at me. It yells at me for leaving the car running with the keys in the pocket but this was much worse

· Registered
1 Posts
johnmax said:
Yea i was gonna say ive seen this posted before. Even after you jump it, it only takes a minute or two of running to charge the battery enough for a subsequent start. There seems to be a large draw with the car in ACC mode. The dealer should check with a meter what the current draw is. You should be able to keave the ACC on for at least 30 mins in any vehicle with minimal accessories on (no heater or AC blower switch knob, no heated/cooled seats, no cranking the radio, no headlights, etc).
been also having these problems also. i have monitored i once in awhile now can't seem to figure it out. i am so frustrated of having to jump it every other time...

· Registered
1 Posts
2005 FX 35 Intermittent Battery Issues

Happened more than once...car running great one minute, next minute symptoms of completely dead battery. Couple hours later, all is fixed. Relatively new battery, tests good. Cables not corroded, everything tight. Really has me puzzled but guageing by incredible number of problem posts on internet concerning "ghost" battery problems with these cars I would have thought there would have been some "Voila" posts...not yet, just large numbers of guesses and well-intentioned suggestions. Really, really frustrating and it appears Infiniti either does not know what the problem is or has planted a "gotcha" service gremlin. Reallh hate to think that is true.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday ninety degree weather drove 2009 Infiniti FX50S to store.Inside an hour came out to start car, only the passenger door would unlock other three and tailgate locked down.Push button starter would not start the car, shift wouldn't move from park.Would light up LOCK or ACC and even whatever that third(ON?) is that starts the car(senior moment).Don't recall hearing the click.Fussed around for half hour in the heat of the day, no luck starting.Was able a few times to disengage shift to neutral.Tried the Intelligence Key(ha ha) no luck.The main lock/unlock on driver door would not unlock the other doors.Sometimes it worked.A few times could get tail gate open.Infiniti had Roadside Assist come, he put on the battery charger and BAM it started right up.Had them tow it to the dealership.They called and no problem driving it around the parking lot.

As an aside for a couple weeks the windshield washers would come on while driving(2 or 3 times) thought I hit something wrong.Also, touch the button to shut off engine after garaging and it would come back o ACC.

Finally, power surge.Originally took it to dealership a few months ago as braking at stop sign it would need added brake application as it didn't stop.Dealership said never heard of this complaint with the FX50, they moved a FAST PASS transponder on front windshield I'd recently applied and told me the placement interfered with the camera.Seemed logical.Last week before the episode yesterday I swore it did it again, but thought maybe it was me not applying brakes hard enough.

They still have my car.I love, love, love the Infiniti, best car I've ever owned.Any thoughts? ::?
I am an infiniti lover, fan and owner myself, ranging from the J-30, to I-35 to G-35 and most current fx-35. The one issue I noted when I purchased my 2007 fx35 years ago was that if I parked the car on a slope front-wards and attempt to back up from my parking position, gravity takes over and the car would drift down forward even though I have it on "R" reverse! Similarly if I was driving up the hill and come to a red light stop, when green light comes on to drive, gravitational pull takes over and the car drives backwards as if in R even though in D. It was so embarrassing that I felt so unsafe and would hold my car on brake until it is safe to maneuver and propel forward. An issue I never exp with my ex infinitis. I took it to the dealer then and they fixed the problem (not sure what/how exactly they did). 2 days ago and today my fx would not start inside with the turnkey, but would only start with remote starter and starts normally after running on a remote starter for a while. I called infiniti today and lodged this complaint and made appointment to take it there tomorrow but sadly informed that battery diagnostics alone would cost me the sum of $150! Isnt this a ripoff? I have not had any of the seemingly electrical issues described here by many. It is terrible that such a beautiful looking vehicles have such issues.

· Premium Member
10,511 Posts
I am an infiniti lover, fan and owner myself, ranging from the J-30, to I-35 to G-35 and most current fx-35. The one issue I noted when I purchased my 2007 fx35 years ago was that if I parked the car on a slope front-wards and attempt to back up from my parking position, gravity takes over and the car would drift down forward even though I have it on "R" reverse! Similarly if I was driving up the hill and come to a red light stop, when green light comes on to drive, gravitational pull takes over and the car drives backwards as if in R even though in D. It was so embarrassing that I felt so unsafe and would hold my car on brake until it is safe to maneuver and propel forward. An issue I never exp with my ex infinitis. I took it to the dealer then and they fixed the problem (not sure what/how exactly they did).
Your transmission fluid was probably due for a change, or possibly low.

2 days ago and today my fx would not start inside with the turnkey, but would only start with remote starter and starts normally after running on a remote starter for a while. I called infiniti today and lodged this complaint and made appointment to take it there tomorrow but sadly informed that battery diagnostics alone would cost me the sum of $150! Isnt this a ripoff? I have not had any of the seemingly electrical issues described here by many. It is terrible that such a beautiful looking vehicles have such issues.
Sounds like the module that controls the over-riding of the ignition kill in your key is malfunctioning. If you're still in touch with the person that installed the remote starter, they will probably have an easy fix.

· Registered
1 Posts
My mother has a fx35, 2013.
I have replaced the started, the alternator this year, 2022. Did the battery, starting and charging test from autozone and that checked out good.
i did a parasitic draw test today and got back a .142 amps after 15-20 minutes of lettings all the systems go to sleep.
The car is still having 'ghost' dead battery after 1 hour in the parking lot. The keys are not in the car, the lights are all off, and all the doors are shut.
This issue has been going on with the car since we bought the car a little over a year ago. We bought it from a carmax used and it has zero aftermarket upgrades.
Any Ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts