Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just bought fx 50 and i wana know if i can make it faster by installing upgrades or something can someone help me with this

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
at the moment anything you do will take custom fabrication. you could build or adapt an existing first gen exhaust, you can build/improve the air intake, you could possibly install a nitrous setup on it, it'll even be possible to build a turbo setup for it using add on supplemental fuel control. most of these aren't DIY unless you really are a fabricator though, so while all of these things can be done, about the only real "practical" thing you could do at the moment is attempt to have a first gen aftermarket exhaust retrofitted. without having a good look underneath hard to say really how easy or hard that would wind up being, worse case a custom exhaust could be built too

the short answer is, there is nothing available right now as a bolt on really

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have added K and N drop ins ( you need 2 ), and a flowmaster 80. I feel better anyway :) Cant say it has improved perf much as it is a full out beast out of the box.
Sounds Waaaay better now though, like my 45 did.

·
Registered
317 Posts
FX4U2C said:
I have added K and N drop ins ( you need 2 ), and a flowmaster 80. I feel better anyway :) Cant say it has improved perf much as it is a full out beast out of the box.

Do you have any pictures of the exhaust set up? Did you do a cat back or just the muffler? My only complaint about my fx50 is the exhaust. My old 45 sounded much better.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I'm surprised that someone would want to make the FX50 "faster"... good grief, the thing is a rocket sled on rails already
and pretty close to the fastest stock SUV on the market?? But...it keeps the economy going so spend spend spend!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Here's the look from below:

He probably replaced the rear muffler with flowmaster 80 series one.. You should also be able to replace the two midpipe resonators with round aftermarket resonators as well.. As far as I know, Magnaflow & Flowmaster has several sizes and Wireboltman is using Twister mufflers..

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I wonder if the HKS muffler would fit... would have to fab your own mid-pipe for it though, but that should be easy for a good exhaust shop to do...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering if he did any custom work to the piping. The look on the salesmans face when I was looking under the truck in the show room was priceless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boomerkid you can never be fast enough. :mrgreen: There are a few cars and redneck pickup trucks around here that need a good ass whipping. The look on there face when losing would be priceless. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
captj3 said:
Boomerkid you can never be fast enough. :mrgreen: There are a few cars and redneck pickup trucks around here that need a good ass whipping. The look on there face when losing would be priceless. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Your stock 50 could whip them as is... add in breathing and exhaust mods and it would probably make them just a joke...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
DatMan said:
I wonder if the HKS muffler would fit... would have to fab your own mid-pipe for it though, but that should be easy for a good exhaust shop to do...
I believe you could fit mine in there with minor mods and some adjustments to the tips .. Looks like Infiniti went with a straighter rear suspension brace instead of our s shaped one so it should be even easier.. See mine and you'll understand:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a few pics of the just muffler and tip replacement on my Blackberry. I 'll post em up when I get a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
just to make sure everyone understands, the pics from a few posts up are of the stock exhaust on the new FX that da mayor took when it came in.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
the thing is a rocket sled on rails already and pretty close to the fastest stock SUV on the market??
What beats it? The FX50 just beats the Porsche Cayenne Turbo which clocked 5.4 to 60 and 13.8 quarter. At least the only numbers I found for it.

Car and Driver's "2009 Infiniti FX50 - Short Take Road Test" clocked the FX50 at 5.0 and 13.6 for the same respectively:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot ... age-3.html

Well, I answered my own question as I typed this, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 in 4.5 sec to 60. Of course its 1990's straight axel in the back probably doesn't give quite the same handling. I guess if you stick a large enough engine into something, anything will go fast. I'll take the "whole" package. And the base price of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo is $124,000. I'll take 2 FX50's please, and use one as my "beater" :)

Are there any others I am missing?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I think the RR Sport beats the FX50 in a straight line too... can't remember the actual #'s... but like you said, none of those can carve roads like the FX can... they can just go straight fast...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
FX4U2C said:
FX4U2C, could you post some instructions and/or part numbers for your exhaust upgrade, would it work on a 09FX35? I dont know much on exhausts (i.e. what K and N drop ins are) but I am pretty good with tools. Thx

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Here is the K&N site if you haven't heard of them FireRN or anyone else ("drop in" refers - I believe - to it being a simple drop in performance upgrade, such as an air filter - no special skills or real modifications to the vehicle required: They (K&N) have the best in air filters. Will add typically 3-5 horsepower without voiding the warranty. Much better than the factory paper filters, and will last you for the life of the vehicle.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

I bet they will have the air filter very soon for the 2009, 35 and 50.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
notabadname said:
Here is the K&N site if you haven't heard of them FireRN or anyone else ("drop in" refers - I believe - to it being a simple drop in performance upgrade, such as an air filter - no special skills or real modifications to the vehicle required: They (K&N) have the best in air filters. Will add typically 3-5 horsepower without voiding the warranty. Much better than the factory paper filters, and will last you for the life of the vehicle.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

I bet they will have the air filter very soon for the 2009, 35 and 50.
That makes sense, thanks. I have heard of K&N and KN Filters, it didn't click when I read it as K and N in FX4U2C signature. Still, I would love to know how FX4U2C installed a Flowmaster 80, I would love to beef up the exhaust noise.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi,
I added a Flowmaster 80 series a month after getting the 50S )( July 08 ). Its stock exhaust tone just didnt do it for me......now where near what my 45 was. Here is a link for the muffler below. I am sorry I do not know if this fits the 35, I have not seen the exhaust configuration. Flowmaster http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/produ ... ts_id=3296

A you can see in the pictures, it wasnt easy. It is nicely tucked away Two bends and two welds were needed. I love the tone now. Especially in DS mode. Slight drone at 1500 rpm, but a quick flick to DS mode and thats gone, lol
I have had many comments on how it sounds now.The 4in tips finish it nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
another shot, before the pipes were added.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
FX4U2C, did you use the original mounts or did you have to fabricate new ones? This mod will be a little more difficult for me because I have a hitch which must first come off; but if it sounds almost as good as your FX45, It would be worth the work. Did you use the OEM tips or new ones?

I am going off your signature for other possible mods to do; cant wait until members start posting How To's for the 09. All I was able to do so far was to figure out on how to dismantle the center console.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts