Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there were any performance chips available for the FX45, I could not find anything about chips in the search except for the Technosquare deal and that sounds like too much trouble for me...thanks. Chase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
cl2447 said:
the Technosquare deal and that sounds like too much trouble for me
I'm curious- how else do you expect to do an ECU upgrade other than the TS method?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found a few sites that sell machines or boxes, similar to the yellow box they use to adjust rpm and timing at the factory which will change settings in the computer. My question is there are no performance chips that simply plug into the cpu?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
cl2447 said:
I have found a few sites that sell machines or boxes, similar to the yellow box they use to adjust rpm and timing at the factory which will change settings in the computer. My question is there are no performance chips that simply plug into the cpu?
Ah. Now I understand your confusion.

Those boxes you're thinking of interface to the original programming of the CPU from Nissan and request that things happen. However, no matter what you do to static parameters, you will still operate within the Nissan factory maps. Unless you replace the original CPU programming from Nissan, you may make slight gains (and I've been told, but not assured, by some service techs that the CPU might even revert these changes as time goes on) but you'll never see major gains.

What TechnoSquare will do is completely change the CPU's base programming and the programming maps. In order to do this, the base program has to be erased and replaced. While this can be done thru the Scan Tool Port, the programming is TS proprietary and there's no other way to get it except thru them. This is a one-time connection for re-programming the device, and there's no way to plug a "Chip" into the CPU thru the scan tool port. OBD-II ECUs are different than the CPUs of before.

If you live in an area with 93-Octane gas, you can ask your dealer's service advisor to bump your timing 2 degrees further BTDC. Do a "search" and take the pages to your dealer if you get any resistance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
I was just over on 350Z and G35 and the unichip was crucified for lack of gain(like 3-4RWHP and a failure to respomd to questions...apparently same history with Acura
TS-reflash works
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
<snort>

It's two wires connected to one of the resistors in a multi-resistor-pack dual-inline-package. IOW, all it does (by splicing into one of the wires from the engine-coolant sensor, most likely) is make the ECU think the engine is cooler than it really is to enrichen the fuel-air mixture.

THAT BEING SAID, I'll admit I did the same thing with my fresh-outta-college 88HP I-4 Chevy Cavalier, but that was a low-tech OHV pushrod engine with throttle-body injection (AKA an "electric carburetor"). You could run that sucker on Gumout for 30 full seconds. While it would theoretically work, there comes a point in the powerband when all you'll do is waste fuel.

I think it's pretty much an automotive fact that if it's on eBay and the words "performance" are part of the sales pitch, 99% of the time it's a scam. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
kcrudup said:
<snort>

It's two wires connected to one of the resistors in a multi-resistor-pack dual-inline-package. IOW, all it does (by splicing into one of the wires from the engine-coolant sensor, most likely) is make the ECU think the engine is cooler than it really is to enrichen the fuel-air mixture.

THAT BEING SAID, I'll admit I did the same thing with my fresh-outta-college 88HP I-4 Chevy Cavalier, but that was a low-tech OHV pushrod engine with throttle-body injection (AKA an "electric carburetor"). You could run that sucker on Gumout for 30 full seconds. While it would theoretically work, there comes a point in the powerband when all you'll do is waste fuel.

I think it's pretty much an automotive fact that if it's on eBay and the words "performance" are part of the sales pitch, 99% of the time it's a scam. :)
Well put! A good lesson learned by another "fresh-outta-college"!!

Thanks :wink: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top