Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to permanently disable the panic button on the key fob? Wires to cut, chop off some plastic piece inside the fob? ANYTHING?

I set the **** thing off for the 69th time today, and I'm just fed up with it. Indeed, I'm probably an odd duck, but up until I developed panic-buttonitus, I >always< kept my car keys in my pocket, morning to night. Now I can't because I set off the panic alarm just by moving around. I forgot to take the keys out after hitting the grocery store, and I'm bending over to take off my shoes and HONK HONK HONK HONK.

My neighbors must love me. Not.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I used to have that problem even with my old car. I've learned to take the fob out and either hang by the door or in a bowl by the garage door. I've even accidentally lock and/or unlock the car while the fob is in my pants. So I would imagine that even if you disabled the panic, you'll then trigger the lock/unlock instead. 3 ways to solve your problem:

1. take the fob out everytime,
2. Lose some weight, or
3. Get baggier pants. :lol:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
What else are you carrying in your pocket? Whenever I've accidentally depressed on of the buttons on my car (any car) remote it's usually because my keychain or something else in my pocket has folded over on it... in one case I changed keychains and didn't have that issue any more... I don't think clothing alone should not be able to put enough pressure to where the button activates.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My leftpocket is .. was .. my key pocket, nothing else in there. I do have 2 other keys on a ring on the fob, and I assume one of those is folded over and clicking the panic button.

I'm not too worried about the fob opening the doors accidentally, as it WILL autolock after a few minutes if no one opens the door.

I just can't believe I've had 3 other cars with a panic button fob, and none of those EVER went off accidentally. Never gave it much thought, but I'm pretty sure those fobs had much smaller panic buttons, plus they were recessed a bit. Bad design on Infi's part.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Try flipping your remote around on the keychain - i.e. take it off and then thread it back on facing the opposite way.
Shady,
That's a wise thing to do. When I attach new home keys with car remote ctrl. I usually play aound with them like folding, turning, flipping, twisting ..., finding ways to avoid the other end of them keys hitting the buttons, at the same time not leaving scratches or "trademarks" on the face of the car remote ctrl.
I tend to keep just a few keys with the car remote ctrl as possible.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Duncan, I'm guessing you don't have the Intellikey Fob? I might have re-locked my doors a time or two with that one, but I've never set off the panic button by mistake.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
duncantuna said:
Yes, I have the tech package/Intellikey keyless fob.
No kiddin'?

Perhaps the reason I don't set mine off so much is 'cause I went to one of those Army surplus stores and got a couple of dogtags made up that I attached to my IntelliKey fobs that's got my name and phone number on 'em in case I lose the **** things.

What I hate is that I wish they could have put the key end on the other side and/or on the top edge (impossible, I guess) so the tags could have completely covered the buttons up, but ya can't have everything.

Do you keep other things in your pocket? The only thing I ever keep in my left-side pocket besides the iKey fob is a stick of Chapstick.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
After looking inside my IKey, you can do 1 of 2 things (AT YOUR OWN RISK!):
1. Carefully cut the trace on the PCB that runs from the panic switch (SW3) to TP1. It's about 1/4" long and goes from the top right pad of the switch to a thru-hole via.
2. Carefully unsolder and remove the switch altogether.

I have not tried/tested this, but it should work. Either method is un-doable, as long as you are careful and comfortable with a soldering iron. Also, just to state the obvious, you WILL technically be voiding the warranty on the IKey, though I doubt they would ever open it up to look if you ever returned it for warranty replacement.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Heh. I'd never cut the traces to the red button! For some, it's a Panic Button. For me, it's a "Where the FSCK did I park the **** car in this lot?!"-Button! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
kcrudup said:
[. . . I went to one of those Army surplus stores and got a couple of dogtags made up that I attached to my IntelliKey fobs that's got my name and phone number on 'em in case I lose the **** things. . .
Might want to reconsider; if you loose your keys and someone who's not so honest finds them, he/she will know exactly where to go to steal a nice car, and everything in your house/garage. I'd rather lose my keys than everything those keys open.

I used to belong to a bank that gave me a medallion with a registration number on it which, when dropped in the mailbox, sends my keys somewhere; my keys have been returned twice, the last time even though the bank had gone out of business years earlier. Don't know if anyone still offers this service.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
GarryMac said:
kcrudup said:
. . . I went to one of those Army surplus stores and got a couple of dogtags made up that I attached to my IntelliKey fobs that's got my name and phone number on 'em in case I lose the **** things. . .
Might want to reconsider; if you loose your keys and someone who's not so honest finds them, he/she will know exactly where to go to steal a nice car
... as opposed to "right there on the street"? I'm not sweatin' it, there's no address on it. Besides, that's what LoJack and all that high-assed car insurance I'm paying for is for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
another solution here: maybe a size or two bigger on the pants,
the Bee Gees style of pants are over... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
panic button on Infiniti smartkey

I set mine off about once a month. It just happened at 2:49 A.M. so I am online looking for a way to disable it before my neighbors kill me. I am not overweight and my pants are not too tight. This time it wasn't even in my pocket. I would venture to say that it's a bad design on Infiniti's part since it has never happened with any of my other cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why don't you just glue a little plastic or aluminium "bridge" over the center of the button? That way you really need to do your utmost best to press that button, so accidental pocket presses will almost be impossible... And you will be able to use the alarm function if you really want/need to!
The most simpel solutions are mostly skipped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.