Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a long day with rain
Arrived at 915,Car inside by 930.The shop is clean and well kept.They handle rims,tires,lights cycles,sportcars,Mustangs and general go fast cars.Their Mandrel bender still had some problems doing a 3" clean bend.Frustration all around,service guy coming down from Boston to get these pieces right.My order will be filled in a couple of days and those also in line.I continue to like the design and there are a couple in use.That huge air box above the radiator is key to their ram air which an Injen approach will lose and Stillen has for the 35.He claims 10hp,but sees 13.I am guessing to have this in hand in a week or less(about the same time as the strut brace).Hopefully before vacation(the Cape -for our NE crowd).

I will continue to pursue the cats( he says little gain here/exhaust work is better(I agree,but I have already done the exhaust).
I will explore an adjustable fuel regulator from Perf Nissan/Nismo and a voltage booster for the fuel pump(backdoor ways to enrichen mixture 2-5%).Yes,I know $2+ gas.(see later post on this)
Ken and I talked seriously about a centrifical blower at low boost for 5-6 # boost for 80hp

Like some of you,I do a lot of thinking on long drives and most of my friends are in Boston this week,so the phone was quiet

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions..I know you are not bashful!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It kind of started over at the dyno discussion.

Went to Paddock to get my CAI.Whiich was not quite right~

On fuel enrichment..the computer locks in A/F even at WOT so pushing up fuel pressure or pump volume to increase fuel will omly get the injectors to cut it back...long talk with Jim Bell at Kenne-Bell(Whipple blowers).You can fool the oxygen sensor signal my adding a resistor to the lines...but this is trial and error with a good oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Regarding the strut brace.... Has anyone determined that there is sufficient strut to justify a strut brace? I'm no expert here, but have seen a number of articles that indicate that the benefit of a strut brace varies all over the place. Some vehicles benefit, others don't.

Also wonder if this will make much difference on the street or is this something that really only makes sense if you are on the track (and have confirmed that there is sufficient deflection to make a difference.

Gary...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple answer is I do not know and have not heard others comment on this.It cannot hurt and I have lowered mine and corner very hard so it might be helpful for me..cost is not too high so I am gambling!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
have you seen any dyno sheets on this??? Can you post them, or have me resize them?

i have heard numbers, but never seen actual baseline vs. mod reports......

glad it's coming together (cats on the coupe are a BIG strangle point, and the crawford h/f units were a major improvement in flow...)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A simple change to an K&N will deliver an improvement you can feel. Popchargers will give you a feelable increase and they quote no #'s,but they are pretty cheapKen said 10hp and actually slightly higher.Please note that Injen on the 35 has yet to claim or show a # and "they dyno every part they engineer".Personally,I would rather see a performance gain since dynos can be tricked on baselining them.

Esemes,You have/had this Paddock prototype and talked positively about it...what did you see or feel?

Cats...I am still very skeptical, yes they max headers,but 35 headers showing only 12-18 hp at the flywheel...that is sad! The exhaust is maxed as well.
Piniti-FX and I will meet in Lancaster with a fabricator to look at CAI's and Cats(cut and weld may be the best cheapest option).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
A simple change to a K&N will deliver an improvement you can feel.
I've spent some time trying to track one of these down for the VK. The K&N P/N is 33-2229, but nobody seems to stock it around here in SoCal. K&N is in Riverside, so I might see if I can just go get one from them directly.

Looking at the service manual, it looks as if R/R on it is a fairly-involved job, too- not like the old days where you undid the wing nut, popped out the old round filter and had the whole shebang done in 5 mins.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got mine mail order(bought 2 for my son and daughter in laws 2 cars and they were impressed).
Check a car mag ,I also got license plate frame from same folk.
I installed wearing a torso brace just before last surgery.it hurt to stand up let alone bend over,but got it done with a screw driver and some pulling,15 min

K&N Engineering Inc .comwill show dealers

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spent most of the late afternoon with Piniti-FX in Lancaster(90 degrees) and the visit helped me to resolve some issues.I will confirm that his guy will install the hi-flow cats(he cuts and welds them on).I did not ,but will ask him which manufacturer.It is often good to have someone between you and the manufacturer on warrenty issues.He was very clear that the package has to be complete to max gains..I know this to be true(2 of my last 3 cars had no cats).To max exhaust,upgrade everything...the CATS should increase flow by 1/3.I have 2-2.5 weeks before vacation to work out the deal(he does not like to be the first on this mod(I understand that) but I think we will be the first.

I should have the Paddock CAI in place and strut brace before this.

Piniti-FX,I really was not thinking about a full show off,driving ,talking, directions and traffic.If you thought that was fast(80%),I will show you all it can do!! :shock: :shock:

We welcome all the central Pa group to come together...it was a fun afternoon!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts