Infiniti FX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car has 65k on it now.. Not covered under powertrain because it's 6 years therefore warranty expired in 2009. Found it cheaper to just replace the whole engine. Doing that now... we'll see how long im without a vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Keeping my fingers crossed

JPFX35 said:
OK ... So far, so good. The dealer had my car for about 1 week. They determined that the radiator cap is the root cause of all of my overheating problems. So they replaced it. I have had the car for three days now ... and no problem so far. Also, I am noticing that the temperature gauge is holding at a level just a little bit below where it was for the last few months when I was having this intermittent overheating issue. Maybe this is going to work !

I am still a bit confused .... As I stated in an earlier posting, the radiator was replaced (around Mother's Day weekend of this year) ... I would have assumed that a new radiator cap would have come with it ... I can understand why my old radiator cap would fail at 100K miles .... but is it possible that the dealer would even think of using the old radiator cap on the new radiator ? The service rep said that this was the case. If this is true ... then I have confidence that the problem is resolved. However, if they are not telling me the truth ... then I have reason to be worried. Can anyone shed some light on what happens when a radiator is replaced ? .... does it come with a new cap ? or does the dealer have to go get one off the shelf ?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
npravanh -

It's a bit hard to understand if you're quoting someone and missed the endquote HTML tag or whether your entire post is new.

In any case, the answer the question regarding radiator caps, all of the radiators I have replaced have NOT come with caps. I've gotten radiators from cheap shops online, aftermarket nice ones for the track, and just plain OEM ones from the dealer. I don't recall any of them every coming with a cap.

Having said that, if the dealer told you that your cap was the cause of your overheating and then later told you that they replaced the radiator but NOT the cap, I'd find a new dealer! And for your own peace of mind, you can purchase a new cap from any dealer (even online) and they shouldn't be more than $10 or so I think. Even if you're not a DIY type of person, you can replace it yourself. It's about as easy as replacing your gas cap

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2003 Fx35 with 91k miles has had the same overheating problem. The Infiniti Motorwerk (IL) dealer has repplaced Thermostat, Radiator Cap, Water Pump, and Radiator, but has not solved the problem. They finally gave up and asked me if I want to replace the engine for $15k. I took it home and am looking for a small shop to see if it can do a better job. This is my first Infiniti car and very very disappointed . Never buy Infiniti again. It is a piece of crap :-(

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
ddo said:
Never buy Infiniti again. It is a piece of crap :-(
How about never buying a first model-year Infiniti again?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
And maybe how bout not buying a high mileage vehicle either (assuming you got it with alot of miles)- Some things do break on older cars, and who knows how it was treated before you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Infiniti FX35 03 is waiting inVegas for dealer to open for same overheating issue. Had same issue in Feb on trip from CA to Vegas with replacement of thermostat. Now is more critical, as my son is driving car filled with dog, cat & belongings enroute to Colorado. Please help. We need vehicle reliably fixed for remainder of trip!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Car cooling systems are pretty simple. Has to be the thermostat, water pump, plugged radiator or switch that controls the electric fan or the fan itself. Also could be an engine problem, but the check engine light would catch all those conditions. Do it occur when driving in stop and go traffic? Highway driving?

So I'm guessing no check engine light? And electric fan is working? The temp gauge should go to around 50% then stay there. If not it really has to be a bad radiator, water pump or thermostat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'04 FX35 coolant overflow issue...

Hi,

My wonderful 2004 FX35 AWD seems to be having some coolant reservoir overflow issues after 10 1/2 years and 109,000 miles of nearly trouble free driving. This problem seemed to come out of nowhere. Car has always been well maintained, virtually all service done by Infiniti. Mobile 1 oil changed regularly, and engine still runs like new. Except for this little problem...

About 5 months ago, after about 30 miles of mixed highway/city driving on a warm day, I happened to notice the temp gauge was up at about 2/3 of max, which it had NEVER, EVER done before, or if it did, I never noticed it. Engine seemed to be running normally, and was I was close to home. I popped the hood, and the first thing I noticed was that the coolant overflow level was about twice as high as normal.

Went right to the dealer, who said they found a stuck thermostat. Engine never really "overheated", at least according to the temp gauge. They changed the thermostat, checked coolant for exhaust gases, pressured checked the cooling system, changed hoses, complete system flush. Good as new, right?

After that, I did very little driving over the summer, and things seemed normal until today, at about 111,000, and no new overheating issues, I notice the overflow reservoir is again twice as high as normal. Also, in retrospect, recently I had been occasionally hearing what seemed to be a very mild intermittent "gurgling" sound from behind the left side of the dash.

So I drove around about 20 miles and got it good and warmed up. Temp gauge stayed normal on this 65 degree day.

Then I parked in the driveway, turned off the A/C and turned up the heat... good hot air, and the reservoir level hadn't changed, and cooling fans were both off. But then, I sat in the car and revved it to around 2K rpm for a couple of minutes.

Now... no heat coming out at all, both fans running, temp gauge still normal, and more coolant bubbling into the overflow, but overflow coolant not particularly hot.

So I have an appointment to return the car to the dealer, pick up the loaner, and hope for the best. Radiator cap was never changed, and I suppose that's a possible problem, but I'm not counting on it.

Of course... my big fear is that there is perhaps a small head gasket leak that they missed last time, and exhaust gases are entering and over pressuring the cooling system. No noticeable changes in the exhaust, and oil level is normal with no signs of coolant. Guess I'm just trying to convince myself that it's something really simple that I'm overlooking.

So... anybody have any suggestions about how much replacing the head gaskets should cost? Or if it's something much worse, like warped/crack head(s) or block, is it time to say goodbye to the best car I've ever owned? I've never held on to a car for over ten years, mainly because I've never liked one as much as this FX.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ron

2004 Black FX35 AWD, with every option available at that time. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am new to the forum but am curious is all these issues mostly on the vq35?I recently purchased a 03 fx45 with blown head gaskets(120k)and upon replacement I found the back t-stat was stuck closed(has 2 stats).This is coming from an somewhat old mechanic but here is the the low buck way of checking/getting you to your destination fix if is a leaking head gasket(minor) is thought to be the culprit.pour about 2 teaspoons of pepper in the the radiator.The pepper will flow to the leak and expand and temporarily fill the hole.It is also small enough to not block other passages in the motor including the radiator.I have used this fix several times in my life on blown gaskets fixing either water in combustion chamber or leakage outside of block. For DatMan the product you were trying to think of is water wetter.It is pretty pricey for what is and have found that a teaspoon of dawn dishsoap has the same results with a lot less cost.From previous nissan experience I have learned that some block and head castings from nissan have had quite a few casting flash issues in the water sections of the heads.The blocks dont really matter but the heads is where all the heat is and when they cause issues it is usually substantial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. I started a Facebook group, becuase i think we could all have a class action suit...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108090899242102
Hi Gapman

I am experiencing the same intermittent overheating issue with my 2004 Infinit FX35. I would like to join your Facebook group to see what others are doing about it and any response from Infinit however the link in your post is not working. Please post the link to join the group. Thanks.
Also, I have replaced the radiator & radiator cap. From what it appears in this forum it sounds like people have concluded it is a head gasket issue? Or is there an easier fix?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I stated earlier, I am having the same intermittent overheating issue with my 2004 Infiniti FX35. I have replaced the radiator and cap. All the similar signs as others have stated: intermittent & all coolant goes into the overflow. However my check engine light comes on & indicates a misfire in cylinder #4 . Is this indicative that it is a blown head gasket? Or is there another suggestion to try? Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm having the same problem. I took it to local shops who thought it's a head gasket issue. I've been driving w/o a thermostat over a year w/o overheating and w/o heat in the cabin. Once the cold air hit NY, I thought let me spend some money and fix this no heat issue. The worse decision ever. I took it to the dealer and spent over $1100 on my '03 FX35 and they couldn't figure it out!! They tested the exhaust for antifreeze smoke I guess to see if there was leak from head gasket to the engine(if possible). That was negative. They think there's blockage some where within the engine or somewhere with the coolant system. This is the dealer telling me this mind you! They have absolutely no idea where the issue is and are clueless on this the engine they're suppose to be an experts on, outrageous! They said it would cost me $4K- $5K to fix it and if they do conclude it's the head gasket, it would cost me like $15K. What a joke?

It's probably something simple but who knows what it is? That is if someone from here maybe already figured it out.

Now, I can drive for about 10 miles w/o an issue with a high rate of speed(60mph) and then I'd see the temp gauge slowly creeping up to getting hot. It doesn't overheat though. It lingers between the last two lines on the gauge. When I pull over, it slowly cools down even when the engine is running. The odd thing is it warms up initially and the temp stays at normal temp(mid point of the gauge) for a while and then it starts to creep up. If it was something severe, I'd think it would just keep on going up as soon as the engine is warmed up. I should also mention that I removed the thermostat again.

WAS ANYBODY ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHY IS NISSAN ENGINE DOING THIS?

Please let me know if you were able to figure out what's causing this issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone, I'm having the same problem. I took it to local shops who thought it's a head gasket issue. I've been driving w/o a thermostat over a year w/o overheating and w/o heat in the cabin. Once the cold air hit NY, I thought let me spend some money and fix this no heat issue. The worse decision ever. I took it to the dealer and spent over $1100 on my '03 FX35 and they couldn't figure it out!! They tested the exhaust for antifreeze smoke I guess to see if there was leak from head gasket to the engine(if possible). That was negative. They think there's blockage some where within the engine or somewhere with the coolant system. This is the dealer telling me this mind you! They have absolutely no idea where the issue is and are clueless on this the engine they're suppose to be an experts on, outrageous! They said it would cost me $4K- $5K to fix it and if they do conclude it's the head gasket, it would cost me like $15K. What a joke?

It's probably something simple but who knows what it is? That is if someone from here maybe already figured it out.

Now, I can drive for about 10 miles w/o an issue with a high rate of speed(60mph) and then I'd see the temp gauge slowly creeping up to getting hot. It doesn't overheat though. It lingers between the last two lines on the gauge. When I pull over, it slowly cools down even when the engine is running. The odd thing is it warms up initially and the temp stays at normal temp(mid point of the gauge) for a while and then it starts to creep up. If it was something severe, I'd think it would just keep on going up as soon as the engine is warmed up. I should also mention that I removed the thermostat again.

WAS ANYBODY ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHY IS NISSAN ENGINE DOING THIS?

Please let me know if you were able to figure out what's causing this issue.

Thanks.
I changed my thermostat, did a block leak test, then i noticed my fans wouldn't run the low speed, and would only come on when my ac was on.I checked the fan relays (their are three) they were good. I wired the fans direct and one started up right away, the other would only start if you spun it a little by hand. I bought a fairly nice set off Rockauto, popped them in (they are extremely easy to replace) and the temps have been rock solid since. I will be doing the coolant system flush soon, but for now the fans did the trick. just my .02 hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed... the engine cooling system on all cars hav ethe same or similar components. When troubleshooting is easiest to start with the cheapest things first and the things you can change yourself. In order of troubleshooting:

coolent level and mixture (not just straight coolant)
radiator cap
thermostat
fans (does car overheat at idle, cool down at highway speed)
water pump

Your problem sounds like a thermostat. When it is running hot, does the large top hose from radiator to engine swell up?
First, I would like to thank the users of this forum for the excellent source of information on the infinity fx series. I recently bought an fx35 06 @ 180KM, everything seemed fine first, but after driving the car for sometime following my purchase it would shut down while driving, I went to a mechanic and he ran the computer, so I changed the cam sensors as those were causing the problem. now how does this relate to overheating? well, after the sensors were changed, everything was fine, but then overheating started to happen. I noticed as OP stated that my reservior started to fill until its full then the car would start to overheat. Thanks to the information provided, I did as advised and changed the fluid, bought a raditor cap and changed the thermostat. changing the thermostat took 15minutes, its important to note that in order to ensure the new cap is not faulty, you should disconnect the reservior from the radiator to see if fluid leaks when the cap is on, if it doesnt then your good to go. Everything is back to normal and the car is no longer overheating, one thing to note though is that the new themostat needs sometime to "train", I noticed it would rise slowly until it goes over the middle, I was advised this would happen and to top up the fluid once the car cools down, this happens because the thermostat is opening its valve to allow water to enter the engine, and this displaces the fluid which needs to be topped up. so I did it once. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK ... Back to square one. I have driven about 700 miles since my radiator cap was replaced ... and since then it looks like the engine is running cooler than it had for months according to the temperature guage.

However, today on my way home from work, I notice a gurgling sound behind my steering wheel, while I was starting up my fx35 and driving out of a store parking lot along the way home. When I got home I checked under the hood and the overflow tank was over the MAX line. Also .. I noticed that it was bubbling inside.

Tomorrow morning I am driving back to the Infiniti Dealer. I am really getting tired of this.

JPFX35

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 07 fx35 idle and park temp ok when I travel down the road get right up to hot mark not in the danger zone I stop it before but never ran hot I turn on heat in comes right down ..cooling fans work too hose appears swole but not bad ...I’ve got a new thermostat but haven’t replaced yet and haven’t replaced the cap yet any guesses

61 - 80 of 81 Posts