Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same overheating problems with my 2003 FX35. This car has 62,000 Miles on it, has been well taken care of and serviced.
It over heated for the 1st time at the end of June when I was out of town. They replaced the thermostat. Within 5 Miles it overheated again, The dealer then bled the system. I then drove it about 300 Miles ( mostly Highway), then it over heated again. They then replaced the radiator cap, and bled the system, I then drove it for another 200 Miles, again mostley highway, then it overheated again. They did a coolant system flush and it was clean as a whistle. They checked out the pump and it is working fine, the fans are working fine, the cap and thermostat have already been replaced, there is no indication what so ever of exhaust gases in the radiator ( would indicate blown head gasket).
What seems to be happening is the coolant reservoir fills at some point with anti freeze from the engine and then spits it out the overflow on the reservoir tank. Then at some point air gets into the cooling system which causes the antifreeze to stop circulating.
I have now beeen told that it is probably the head gaskets. However, the fix for the head gaskets is to replace the long block. This makes me think the problem is really in the long block.
Being that the car is an 03 and has only 62,000 Miles the drive train is still under Warranty.
The dealer is replacing the long block under warranty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
strange and scary! I had the worst experience with my Toyota Supra and blown head gaskets. I never ever wanna experience that on a car again. I stopped buying Toyota's and start buying Nissan's. Good luck hope it gets fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a letter from Infiniti yesterday stating:

"...On some 2004-2008 FX35 vehicles, the radiator fan motor may become in-operable, which may cause the engine coolant temperature to rise. In this case the engine protection logic will limit the vehicle speed to prevent any damage to the engine. Because this issue only affects a limited number of vehicles, the vast majority of owners should never experience this issue."

What they go on to say is that they are not recalling the Radiator Fan Motor, but they will extend the Warranty just for this part from 48 months/60,000 miles to 96 months/100,000(whichever occurs first).

Since we have been going through this on and off for a year I called them this morning. We are over 100,000 miles though on our 2004 and of course they will not cover it. That's why they didn't do a recall. This way they won't be responsible for much. Forget the thousands of dollars that we have spent on this car trying to figure out what the problem is.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER INFINITI AGAIN!!!!

I hope this helps some of you. Especially if you didn't get this same letter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I notice a gurgling sound behind my steering wheel, while I was starting up my fx35 and driving out of a store parking lot along the way home.
you definitely have air in your cooling system if you hear this sound. it's coolant entering airspace inside of the heater core. if there was no air, you wouldn't hear the sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
burned head gasket 101
a burned head gasket can cause overheating and can present different symptoms.
1 - if head gasket is leaking into cylinder - exhaust gases will introduce heat and air in to the cooling system. the cooling system will not hold pressure/will have excessive pressure. will cause bubbling in overflow reservoir even before overheating. also, exhaust may contain white smoke.
2 - if head gasket is leaking into block - pull your dipstick. if the oil is milky (some white), you have a bad head gasket. or oil may leak into coolant and should be visible on the coolant side of the cap or in reservoir.
3- if head gasket is leaking outside the block - collant will spill to the floor. look closely though, the fx has a belly pan that will catch the coolant before you see it on the floor.
have your mechanic pressurize the coolant system to 16 pounds. any drop in pressure indicates a problem. its an easy check that takes 10 minutes.
the coolant system must be pressurized in order to raise the boiling point of the coolant/water mixture inside.
just FYI - if your vehicle is overheating, turn on your heater full blast. this effectively turns your cars heater core into a radiator and will expel heat. it'll be uncomfortable, but may save your engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
otto23 said:

"...On some 2004-2008 FX35 vehicles, the radiator fan motor may become in-operable, which may cause the engine coolant temperature to rise. In this case the engine protection logic will limit the vehicle speed to prevent any damage to the engine. Because this issue only affects a limited number of vehicles, the vast majority of owners should never experience this issue."

What they go on to say is that they are not recalling the Radiator Fan Motor, but they will extend the Warranty just for this part from 48 months/60,000 miles to 96 months/100,000(whichever occurs first).

Since we have been going through this on and off for a year I called them this morning. We are over 100,000 miles though on our 2004 and of course they will not cover it. That's why they didn't do a recall. This way they won't be responsible for much. Forget the thousands of dollars that we have spent on this car trying to figure out what the problem is.

I just got this letter as well... BUT my 05' w/ 64k has no issues.. knock on wood...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. I just found this forum, but wish I had found it sooner. I have a 2003 FX35, with 135,000 miles. Since the beginning of July, I've had a recurring overheating problem. Originally, it would only happen when I was sitting in traffic. The temperature gauge would creep up to the 3/4 line, and when I started driving again, it would go back to normal. This would happen every few weeks. I took it to the dealer, they could find no problem, so they simply flushed the cooling system. The car was fine again for another few weeks, then it happened again. As soon as it did, I went back to the same dealer. Once again, they could find no problem. Just grasping at straws, they replaced the thermostat and radiator gap, and once again flushed the system. Again, fine for another month, then it happened again, only worse than ever- this time, the gauge pegged all the way, and I could hear bubbling. I went to a different Infiniti dealer, they had the car for five days, and still could find NO problem. I then asked around around, and found a mechanic who I believe I can trust (brother of a good friend). Within an hour, he was able to confirm his fear- he found combustion in the coolant, a sure sign of a blown head gasket. He has now torn everything apart, and was able to show me where the head gasket failed. Obviously, this is going to co$t me, big time. I guess my question is- WHY couldn't the dealerships find this, in three attempts???? It's still being repaired now, so I suppose only time will tell if that is the root cause of the problem. I sure hope so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They have to replicate the problem in order to diagnose it. if the problem is intermittent, as yours was, there'd be no way to fix the problem. It's a shot in dark until they experience it overheating.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
otto23 said:

Yeah, I just got this letter today. One month after you did -- like they didn't have my address in their system. :roll:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
For several years I've been using a thermostat which fails open instead of closed. So if it should fail the engine doesn't ove-heat. Here is a link:
http://www.motoradusa.com/products/fail ... index.html
Overheating is sometimes a tough call. Don't forget the simple things such as radiator hoses which get old or weak and cave in on themselves. Don't forget to check the sensor which turns on the electric fan, check the fan to insure it doesn't get hot and quits working. The radiator cap has already been discussed.
Bill

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I just got my letter from Infiniti today. I guess they dont know my 06FX was stolen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Yesterday, I looked at an '03 FX35 sport with 89K on it. Being the last day of the year, they were eager to make a deal. We were about a grand apart when I asked to be left alone to look over the car. I looked in the glove compartment and found some receipts. In there was one from a couple years back (I remember the miles were 48K) for an entire engine rebuild which noted "repaired crack in head". This was not from the dealer but an independent engine re builder. Figuring the car had overheated and not knowing the quality of the repair and thus it's longevity, I decided to pass on buying it.

Then I found this forum and this post. It seems likely that the orig owner had the "blockage" issue described here and their dealer (somewhere in Ca) had refused to do anything about it. However, after reading this, it seems the orig. owner may have gotten a raw deal from the dealer.

Was thin issue more common on '03's than other years?

I have been a BMW guy for the last 10 uears or so but am considering buying an FX so maybe I'll become a regular. Any tips on buying an FX?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Mr. Bill said:
Was thin issue more common on '03's than other years?
Bill, I wouldn't say this was common at all. There have only been a handful of FX owners (most with high mileage) who have experienced these problems. My thought is that regular changing of the engine coolant would help prevent any blockage issues from arising down the road.

·
Registered
147 Posts
don't forget, the trend for the first year of any newly produced/designed/developed vehicle tends to be more problematic than any other year. the first year is always the "trial run" so to speak when it comes to real world refinement.
no matter what the vehicle, i always try to shy away from first year production runs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any advice for same situation?

Hey All...I've been reading post all over the net somewhat similar to this in an effort to find a conclusion to my overheating issues. I have an '03 35 with 90,000 miles. I'm not an abusive driver nor negligent operator and have had all my services well maintained. Car began by overheating 15 hours into my 16 hour drive home from yellowstone this summer. It started overheating when I slowed down in towns and such...replaced my thermostat....flushed everything....drove for quite a few weeks more with no problems...thought it was solved :/ Not quite. Overheating began once again...this time I had my heater going and noticed it going cold then within minutes my temp began rising. I pulled right over knowing what damages can be incurred. I had coolant being expelled from my spare reservoir just like the other instances. I waited for it to cool, filled it with water/coolant and made it a ways further, then repeat, repeat. Took my car to Infiniti of Beaverton who told me that my issue was a cracked radiator. They wanted 900 for it. I already read these posts and was fairly sure what my problem was so I figured it was pointless but did it anyway. Car still overheated. Replaced water pump. Still overheated. Had my car towed back to infiniti who failed to have a loaner available (even though I called a day in advance and they said they would). They made me rent a car! Next day I drove back to a useless pile of information. They told me they still couldn't diagnose it and that i had to drive or have it towed to a different shop and pay to have a 4 gas hydrocarbon test done. Well sure enough a one-way pinhole leak in the head gasket not displaying your typical traits of gasket blowouts...only a slight rise in hydrocarbons, but enough to show it had a leak allowing air into the system which then overpressurizes my coolant system causing the spare res. to be my release location. Once air is introduced and replaces the coolant an air bubble develops and system overheats. What I am getting at is that infiniti is not recognizing this as any problem. I have been going through infiniti consumer affairs who have been no help. I told them I read about similar cases being taken care of and he said this is the first he's ever heard of any problem. I'm just looking for any educated advice that could lead to the resolution of my problem. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to make sure I had all my details listed out. Thank to anyone who can be of any help. I appreciate it. I just want the company to stand behind a car that retails for ~50,000 who we buy because of the reliability of one of the "#1" engines out there. I'd have thought it would have made it past 90,000. thanks again,

Brandon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering if any found a way to solve this issue other then replacing the head gasket. I have an 03 FX35 with only 60k ON IT!.. I had brought it to a few local shops everyone wants $2-$4k to fix the issue. This should definitely be a recall from infiniti. Wondering if i should even bother calling infiniti to see if they would fix the issue since its powertrain issue. I just paid off the car too i bought it in 05! with 25k for miles

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Well if you do have a blown head gasket, the only way to fix it is to do the repair, which is not cheap due to the amount of work involved.

I wouldnt say they should recall something like this. It is not common. Sometimes things break which sucks. What is your mileage now? You may still be within the 6/70 powertrain warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
um, yeah, it's a common problem. Coming from two separate people with 2 posts between them and probably a total of 5 minutes between the two including the time it took to register for the site :roll:

On a separate note, I called Infiniti this morning to make an appointment for my FX for a possible head gasket issue (calm yourselves, this is the 4.5 which I don't think *ANYONE* has had an issue with the head gasket). There's nothing confirmed as of yet; I just want to go on record at 30k miles. My last oil change I had some white milky residue on the bottom of the oil cap and my coolant was a quart to a quart and a half low. It's of mild concern for me as of now. The guy I spoke with for the appointment insisted that there has NEVER been a head gasket issue with this engine (and I've not come across one with a LITTLE bit of research) but I kept asking him what would explain those symptoms and he finally agreed to a pressure/leakdown... duh.

So, 32k miles and the car will be making it's first trip to the dealer

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
You driving out to LI? Maybe we can do a quick meet.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts