Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/Gals,

Question about a out of state speeding ticket:

A friend of mine, visiting us from NJ, got a ticket this evening (74/55mph) here in maryland. I was wondering if the MD point gets transfered to NJ DMV/License?

If anyone has any experience with out of state tickets, or even with a similar situation (NJ/MD), I'd appreciate your advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Non felony tickets typically are not shared state to state. If I was a betting man NJ will never know about the MD ticket.

·
Registered
117 Posts
h00kemh0rns said:
Non felony tickets typically are not shared state to state. If I was a betting man NJ will never know about the MD ticket.
If you bet on that you would have lost.

Your friend will get points on his license. Maybe not be immediately but will catch up.

there are only two states that I know of that points don't transfer between. Not sure why these states but NJ and NC dont share. You can get a ticket in one state and doesn't transfer to the other should have have a license from the opposite state you got the ticket in. this is from experience from going to school in NC.

I know people that have gotten tickets in MD that are from NJ and the points showed on their licenses.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
In the northeast corridor all the states exchange ticket information... definitely from the Mid-Atlantic area such as Virginia/Maryland up thru New England you can count on DMV information being readily shared.

If they were only so efficient at other things as well...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Do you know how the trial/court date would work then? Does he need to come down to MD? Can I, or someone from MD, show up in court on his behalf? Mail in options?

I guess he can always take that Driving course to take off 2 points.

·
Registered
338 Posts
xmen13 said:
h00kemh0rns said:
If you bet on that you would have lost.

there are only two states that I know of that points don't transfer between. Not sure why these states but NJ and NC dont share. You can get a ticket in one state and doesn't transfer to the other should have have a license from the opposite state you got the ticket in. this is from experience from going to school in NC.

I know people that have gotten tickets in MD that are from NJ and the points showed on their licenses.
The same goes for NC. I was nailed doing 115MPH on HW77 going back to Charlotte. This was back in 1994 when I was in College. When I came back to NJ I found out that 4 points were added to my record. :( Point is, drive safely at a reasonable speed and if you don't have control over a lead foot, Get a radar detector. I didn't have one back then, but know I don't leave home without it. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I got a "parking ticket" on my rental car in Seattle about 8 years ago and 5 years later I received a letter from collection agency saying I owe the state $ and accumulated interest during that period. :shock:

I actually didn't know that I got a ticket(probably the officer left the ticket on my windshield and someone took it or it got blown away.)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Every court operates differently. In Queens, I pleaed not-guilty, and I had to report straight to the judge and explained myself. In upstate NY, I pleaed not-guilty, went to the court, but the officer gave me the ticket pulled me to a small room before I saw the judge. He said if I plea quilty, the court can reduce my violation 59mph/30mph (4 pts) to "not following traffic signs" :roll: (no pt). My wife had a same experience and got a reduced charge after bargaining with the court. So, I think it is best to plea not-guilty, go to the court, and see if your friend can exchange his plea for a lesser charge.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
With some courts you have to bargain with the prosecutor, who is often very reasonable. However, if you appear to the prosecutor to be unwilling to compromise then he will hit you with everything he can and you'll have to hope for a nice judge or a good lawyer (not that this has ever happened to me of course). :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.