·
Premium Member
256 Posts
that's just like mine at home!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
the changes in the world in the last 50 years is truly unbelievable when you really stop and think about how fast time goes and just how different life was then......hmmmmm........just think? if you told someone back then about posting on a message board, they'd go grab some thumbtacks and a piece of paper :eek:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Just think, they fit all that in a notebook ... somebody better let that man out :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My understanding is the first computer is still standing and operational at Penn's College of Engineering...vacuum tubes and all.Should have walked down there when I was there...oh well!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
That's hilarious! Geuss we overshot predictions slightly, huh? :roll:

·
Registered
185 Posts
looks like aliens have helped us a bit... :lol:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Some other equally prescient forecasts!

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." --Chairman of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." --President, Chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I think the original picture's caption is a hoax or Photoshop- that's not a "computer", that's a power-generation control panel. The "Steering Wheel" is used to manually open the master breaker.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
848 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
My understanding is the first computer is still standing and operational at Penn's College of Engineering...vacuum tubes and all.Should have walked down there when I was there...oh well!
Here ya go...
The ENIAC Museum Online

·
Registered
90 Posts
kcrudup said:
I think the original picture's caption is a hoax or Photoshop- that's not a "computer", that's a power-generation control panel. The "Steering Wheel" is used to manually open the master breaker.
Actually, it's the manuevering room control panels from a S5W nuclear submarine and the steering wheels are the throttles for the steam turbines (outer wheel is the ahead throttle and inner is the astern). The middle panel is the Reactor Plant Control Panel and the one on the right is the Electric Plant Control Panel. The TV monitor and line printer look chopped in by whoever put the pic together.

Believe me, I spent many a watch on a set of panels exactly like that while doing time 'haze gray and underway'.

Here's a link to a setup on display at the Smithsonian from USS Sand Lance SSN-660 - http://americanhistory.si.edu/subs/oper ... ndex.html#

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don’t remember the actual quote, but some time ago Steve Jobs predicted that computer will be as easy to use as the phone.

He was right… I can’t figure out how to use my office phone anymore…

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
you mean to tell me that you guys's computers dont have steering wheels like mine!?!?!?

how else do you turn the pages? :lol:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
jlliswell said:
the changes in the world in the last 50 years is truly unbelievable when you really stop and think about how fast time goes and just how different life was then......hmmmmm........just think? if you told someone back then about posting on a message board, they'd go grab some thumbtacks and a piece of paper :eek:
True, and as someone else posted we have skyrocketed past this prediction. One "prediction" we missed on however is the Jetson's car :wink: ; I really thought that by now cars would be further along. Compare 1954 computers with those in 2004 and now contrast that with a comparison between a 1954 automobile and a 2004 car - I do not think cars have nearly advanced at the pace of other technologies like computers. How would you like an FX that could truly fly 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
...I do not think cars have nearly advanced at the pace of other technologies like computers. How would you like an FX that could truly fly 8)
Well, at least cars does not crash for no apparent reason like computers do… :roll:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
How would you like an FX that could truly fly 8)
The thought of California- ****, most US- drivers ineptly flying cars gives me the willies. :( The carnage would be huge.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BobKid said:
Actually, it's the manuevering room control panels from a S5W nuclear submarine... The TV monitor and line printer look chopped in by whoever put the pic together.
Ah... but how do we know that you didn't photoshop a 50's computer to look like a submarine?

j/k ::wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts