Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be crazy, but I am somewhat entertaining the idea of buying my son a Sony AIBO :shock:

Any opinions on this? Has anyone had any experience, first-hand, second-hand, whatever with owning one?

·
Registered
662 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Ok, this may be crazy, but I am somewhat entertaining the idea of buying my son a Sony AIBO :shock:

Any opinions on this? Has anyone had any experience, first-hand, second-hand, whatever with owning one?
First, I had to look up to see what AIBO was.

Yes, I've heard about it before and I think my kids would love this "dog" since they've been talking about getting a puppy. This AIBO can be a good alternative. $1900... little high for a toy.

Do you know whether it has a "mute" button? :lol:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
ShadyJC said:

Why don't you get him a real dog? And with rest of the money you can get him a Portable Play Station 2!!!($900)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I saw one in action a few weeks ago at the SONY store in Caesars Palace shops in Vegas...definitely slick! And just think, you don't have to clean-up after them...wish i could say that about my wife's pooch. :roll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an older model - from a couple of years ago - that I received as a birthday present. Fun for while, then annoying, maybe the AI is better now (I’ve not seen the specs on the new ones) but let me put it this way, mine has been collecting dust for the majority of the time - I can’t remember where it is in fact!

Also, IMO, they’re an adult toy rather than a child’s toy just because they are quite delicate.

Sorry to be a downer :(

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LibTech, tell me a little more about what generation Aibo you have, if you want to unload it PM me.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
topguy said:
$1900... little high for a toy.
Do you know whether it has a "mute" button? :lol:
I agree it's a lot for a toy, from what I have been reading on the Aibo forums ( :shock: ) it can be much more than that. And I do believe it needs to "rest" so there is your mute function, just tell it to go to sleep! LOL, maybe it can train my son!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
particlefx said:
So can you wipe its memory? I'd hate to get a used eBay dog with an attitude. ::oops:
Yeah, actually it sounds pretty amazing, an out-of-the-box Aibo apparently is in "puppy" mode so it has to learn all these things and "grow up"... you can re-set to Puppy mode any time you want.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the ERS-210A - The ERS-220 is a completly different animal :D

I doubt you'd want it, and it has sentimental value (i.e. my wife would be pissed if I sold it :roll: ).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Gah! The ERS-220 looks like something out of T3 that would sneak up and kill you in the night once it becomes self-aware!

How about the Macaron ERS-312? It's cute:

Looks like the ERS-7M2 is the latest and greatest:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ok, this may be crazy, but I am somewhat entertaining the idea of buying my son a Sony AIBO Shock

You got my attention with this post ShadyJC. I have to look into this now! 8) Thanks

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
particle, I decided against it for now....

1. Everything I've read points to and Sony recommends that kids should be at least age 7 before having this "toy". It is really a product meant for adults.

2. Knowing my son he will attempt to either (a) ride on it :oops: or (b) roll it down the stairs :shock: , resulting in immediate ruin of a very expensive toy.

It still looks way cool and I definitely wouldn't hesitate against having one in the future... just a few years more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts