Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a matter of fact, i have just downloaded and ran the dang thing. Just so you know, i am very picky when it comes to downloading and running stuff from the net. I am also very handy with the registry and keep my system clean.

I ran the tool and it actually detected and removed 15 freaking spyware apps!! I knew i got something weird going on recently but just could not locate them. If you look at where the spyware apps are hiding, both in registry and directories, it's almost impossible for users to remove them.

So far so good!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Otherwise, Micro$oft and antispyware would be an oxymoron.
LOL. That is too funny. :lol:

BTW, thanks for the comments Gwish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sensei said:
FYI: It isn't actually made by Micro$oft (whew!). It was from a company that Micro$oft bought out last year.

http://www.giantcompany.com/

Otherwise, Micro$oft and antispyware would be an oxymoron. :twisted:
This is true for most software companies. It's cheaper to acquire a proven product than it is to build one. Microsoft is no exception.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to test this new so called Microsoft product. Before I installed it I ran Ad-aware to make sure that my computer is clean. When it finished, I installed MS AntiSpyware and ran it. Of'course it did not find anything which could mean one of the two things: 1. my computer is clean or 2. this program is not really much better from Ad-aware. Of'course more tests need to be done to prove which one is it...

Another comment, when browsing through the options (settings), I found a checkbox that said "Connect me to SpyNet." Wait a minute!!! SpyNet, Skynet, Terminator III anyone??? :p
Finally, of'course knowing Microsoft, don't expect a free product. Even though a Beta version, the software will "expire" in 206 days meaning that most likely Microsoft will then force you to buy it or it will stop working.
In a world of spyware, Ad-aware is still king. My $0.02.

·
Registered
46 Posts
krzys4 said:
I decided to test this new so called Microsoft product. Before I installed it I ran Ad-aware to make sure that my computer is clean. When it finished, I installed MS AntiSpyware and ran it. Of'course it did not find anything which could mean one of the two things: 1. my computer is clean or 2. this program is not really much better from Ad-aware. Of'course more tests need to be done to prove which one is it...

Another comment, when browsing through the options (settings), I found a checkbox that said "Connect me to SpyNet." Wait a minute!!! SpyNet, Skynet, Terminator III anyone??? :p
Finally, of'course knowing Microsoft, don't expect a free product. Even though a Beta version, the software will "expire" in 206 days meaning that most likely Microsoft will then force you to buy it or it will stop working.
In a world of spyware, Ad-aware is still king. My $0.02.

I dont even have Ad-Aware installed prior to installing MS app. That's how anal i am about installing stuff on my computer. I have heard a lot of good things about ad-aware and your experience proves it.

Microsoft has decided to enter the anti-virus/spyware business, expect to see law suits soon :eek:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tried the MS program, as well, but compared it to the results of SpyBot. MS found about a dozen more problems than SpyBot.

I should have compared it to AdAware, too. My bad. I will say, though, that SpyBot and AdAware are good, but you can run either one, and the other will find more stuff. So I can't say either is better than the other.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Another bullshito from maestro Gates. Ran it back-2-back with Ad-Aware. The latter found 4 malware and 4 cookies. The MS program found ZILCH :( . So unistall it gets.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm not even bothering with Gates Anti-Spyware.
I use Ad-Aware, Webroot Spy Sweeper and Spybot. With this combo, I don't have any problems with spyware! :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Believe me, I'm no Micky$oft fan. I ran it after a freshly updated AdAware, and it found 2 cookies (still don't know how I got that **** double-click one...I never accept from them). :oops:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still don't know how I got that **** double-click one...I never accept from them
If you really want to know (and feel like doing the research) download Mozilla browser along with one of the extensions (don't remember the name) that displays all cookies from a given page and have fun... You can also "google it" as well. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
krzys4 said:
still don't know how I got that **** double-click one...I never accept from them
If you really want to know (and feel like doing the research) download Mozilla browser along with one of the extensions (don't remember the name) that displays all cookies from a given page and have fun... You can also "google it" as well. :)
Ah, thanks...probably when I installed Firefox a little while back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice

this thing really works!!! My laptop is now working perfectly, I found out there was this spyware taking 97 % of my memory, thats why my computer was sooooo slow, and it was imposible to close it, nice job from Microsoft

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like MS has a winner. Flexbeta.com did a story comparing AdAware, Spybot and MS's new antispyware programs.

Conclusion? MS wins, finding more than AA and SpyBot. Go figure.

Read the article here: http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=84 -- Interestingly, though, it says MS will eventually charge a subscription fee. I'm not convinced they have the correct info, as I've read that it will be free when it comes out of beta. Time will tell.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good article duncantuna. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts