Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just PMed ShadyJC about meeting for a +2 timing advance... and since I think jaylee wants it done too I was thinking we could have a minimeet? Other FXers that want to do the +2 could benefit from Shady's cipher!

I was thinking this weekend? May 31st or June 1st?

Anybody interested? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Hmm I thought the +2 timing can only be done at the dealer...

If Shady can do this.. sign me up. I'm in Riverside and I'm willing to drive on a Saturday. Pm me with details please.

8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
make sure you guys use 91 octane after the bump
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,778 Posts
psiclne said:
make sure you guys use 91 octane after the bump
wait can you use 91 octane, not 93? i've been told i can no longer fill up with premium, only mid-grade, so i thought i couldnt do the +2, but maybe now i can still do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
StuLax18 said:
i've been told i can no longer fill up with premium, only mid-grade
Huh? Why's that?

And apparently in Cali, they only get 91 tops... so doing the +2 they hafta use the highest octane they can get... for people in other states, if you can get 93, then use 93...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,778 Posts
DatMan said:
StuLax18 said:
i've been told i can no longer fill up with premium, only mid-grade
Huh? Why's that?

And apparently in Cali, they only get 91 tops... so doing the +2 they hafta use the highest octane they can get... for people in other states, if you can get 93, then use 93...
i was told i cannot spend the money to get the highest level, but i want the +2, so if i can do that and get mid-grade it would be awesome. my dads in the oil business so i always figured that it would be relative but i guess not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
+2 advances the timing so you need the highest octane you can get. Otherwise you risk pre-detonation in your engine... which is not good. If you can only use 89, don't do the +2 timing.

And to do the math... let's say you to up once a week with 10 gallons... I think in the states, there's 30 cents difference from mid to high grade... so that's $3 per fill... multiply by 52 weeks, that $156 per year... not very high...

Now let's say you buy a coffee per work day at a cheap $1 per cup... that's $5 per week, or $260 per year...

I could go on and on... we drop a dollar a day on stuff like it's nothing... I just feel like peope could save SO much more on other things than gas grades... now imagine if you're a smoker... you'd spend WAY more on cigarettes...

But to be back on topic... at 89 DO NOT do the timing advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back to topic!

Minimeet Sunday June 1st around 4PM somewhere in OC? Somewhere near CalState Fullerton maybe?

Who'd come??

Even if noone comes I'll still meet you Shady for the +2 haha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,778 Posts
DatMan said:
+2 advances the timing so you need the highest octane you can get. Otherwise you risk pre-detonation in your engine... which is not good. If you can only use 89, don't do the +2 timing.

And to do the math... let's say you to up once a week with 10 gallons... I think in the states, there's 30 cents difference from mid to high grade... so that's $3 per fill... multiply by 52 weeks, that $156 per year... not very high...

Now let's say you buy a coffee per work day at a cheap $1 per cup... that's $5 per week, or $260 per year...

I could go on and on... we drop a dollar a day on stuff like it's nothing... I just feel like peope could save SO much more on other things than gas grades... now imagine if you're a smoker... you'd spend WAY more on cigarettes...

But to be back on topic... at 89 DO NOT do the timing advance.
difference from mid to high is only 12-15 cents for me. i think i paid around 4.11 a gallon for premium the other day. i gotta see what the octane ratings are they have. not sure if its 87, 89, and 91, or 89, 91, 93.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
StuLax18 said:
difference from mid to high is only 12-15 cents for me. i think i paid around 4.11 a gallon for premium the other day. i gotta see what the octane ratings are they have. not sure if its 87, 89, and 91, or 89, 91, 93.
Wow! That difference is even SMALLER then... so let's think high at 15 cents... if you put in 10 gallons a week, you're paying an extra $78 on the year...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
skpman said:
back to topic!

Minimeet Sunday June 1st around 4PM somewhere in OC? Somewhere near CalState Fullerton maybe?

Who'd come??

Even if noone comes I'll still meet you Shady for the +2 haha
Sunday is this http://www.hbconcours.org/ so I will be there, so I cannot make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
^^^Wow, that looks awesome! George Barris :!exclaim:

I feel like I keep missing really cool shows... Is there a website that just tracks car shows around the country?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,824 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Sweet, thanks Medic! The only yearlies I never miss is the Grand National Roadster Show and of course the LA Auto Show, but perhaps now I can add to that list...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meet in Huntington Beach? Well.. I'd prefer somewhere more inland but if you're going to be there I guess I could head over there on Sunday.

Is anyone else planning on coming? Mongolian? Jaylee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It didn't work out last time but ShadyJC and others, anyone down to have a meet?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top