Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the hitch about 3 weeks ago and have some opinions on it.

1st- Nothing lined up on my FX, it took 2 days and about 8 hours to put on. The gusset alone took 2 hours to get 2 of the 3 bolts on. I guess my rear got bumped when I was not around . haha :D How else does my frame get tweeked.

2nd- I hate the weight. I can feel it and not the road. I miss the road. Even when playing with other cars but ass is draging on the ground, my tires are skipping about 2 seconds in. It feels horrible.

3rd-Gas Milage. No one said my gas milage was going to go the sh**. :twisted: OMG it is horrible. I went from 21.4 mpg for 5.5 years and now........18.9 mpg. WTH :evil: i expeted it to go bad when i put on the lift and the powerchair....but just with the hitch? **** it.

There is my .02

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I had the dealer install my hitch at time of purchase - so I can't speak of before and after MPG. But it should not drop it that much.
I will say that it is very low and i need to turn the ball hitch around to give it as much lift as possible. I also use one of these http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm to help with any wobble - works great.

Are you feeling 'it' through the floor boards - it is the tongue (ball part) rattling in the hitch and the hitch Vise will solve that issue. the first time I towed I thought the car was going to fall apart because of the noise and feel of the **** thing wobbling.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the weight I feel. Like the butt is draging. The normal road bumps are now muted. It is almost like I put my 18's back on.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I installed the hitch on my FX35 and I had a **** of a time getting the bolt holes to line up. I wised up the second time around and had the dealer install it on my 45. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
What is the weight of the OEM Tow Hitch? The 09 I am looking at has it and I don't need it. Wish it didn't due to extra weight and hit to Acceleration and MPG.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Insignificant relative to the weight of the vehicle. Doubt it is even 1% of the gross vehicle weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just wanted to add my experience. Took 6 hours when it should have taken 3. Same experience as others, bolt holes did not line up so had to enlarge 3 holes. Also had the added benefit of an incomplete parts kit. Two M12x1.25x30 bolts were missing. The ones that are special length, attach to the panel where nuts are already welded onto the car and where the shims from the parts kit are needed. The dealer did not have them in their parts bin, could not order the parts kit by itself and did not want to order a whole tow hitch just to get me 2 bolts. Finally found them on the internet from http://www.fastenal.com, class 10.9. $2.40 a piece. Hope that helps anyone else in the future.

·
Registered
106 Posts
200 lbs sounds high to me. I have the Infiniti hitch on my FX, but I had the dealer put it on to save me the aggravation. However, I put a similar hitch on my Acura MDX (which has a higher tow rating--5K lbs) and that was more like 50-60 lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay just removed my tow hitch today and it definitely wasnt 200lbs lol more like 38lbs but i'm not sure if its OEM. Removal wasnt bad at all, a total of 6 bolts (3 on each side) after dropping the muffler down and it was off. All in all, it took just over an hr.

Anyone interested in a tow hitch?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Das_EFX said:
Anyone interested in a tow hitch?
Take some pictures and post up a thread in the FOR SALE section... see if anyone bites...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the Curt hitch a few months ago, I have some pics and issues I ran into doing it. I dunno if there is a writeup on the install, if not I can post that.

Most tricky part was getting the inner bolts into the bumper. The Styrofoam knobs in the bumper get in the way.

I did the install without taking the bumper all the way off, Taking the bumper off might make the install easier, I wasn't comfortable with it going back on easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts