·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be in heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pretty popular sentiment, actually. I would have jumped at the chance to own a 6 speed manual. Maybe that new Infiniti mini-FX SUV will have a manual transmission option...

Matthew

·
Registered
90 Posts
BigMatt said:
Pretty popular sentiment, actually. I would have jumped at the chance to own a 6 speed manual.
Same here. I almost went with an X3 just because of that one factor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
6SPD takes away the luxury feel of the car. It performs great as an auto with manu-matic. Manual transmission isnt even a good reason to consider an X3 lol -

·
Registered
7 Posts
fx45copper said:
6SPD takes away the luxury feel of the car.
Um... Is the BMW M5 suddenyl non-luxury? A stick is the only way you'll drive that bad boy with all leather, wood, and alcantara roof!

If you take a cheap manual car and try to dress it up with leather, then yes, you still have a cheap ass stickshift car. If you take a well designed sport/luxury platform and give the owner a choice of a manual, you have a performance machine. It's not an option to save money or get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
411 Posts
fx45copper said:
6SPD takes away the luxury feel of the car. It performs great as an auto with manu-matic....
I disagree on both points. As stated above, no one would argue that an M5 is not still a luxurious ride. The manual option would just enhance the sport feel. And the manu-matic mode is a joke. Have you tried using it? Delayed upshifts, balky downshifts... If it worked well as a manu-matic, perhaps the people that really wanted a 6 speed manual wouldn't be complaining as much?

Matthew

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The lag is so bad, I dont even touch manumatic mode anymore.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I want a manual tranny so bad in the FX I find myself looking every once in a while for a wrecked G35 coupe to buy and swap over the transmission, etc! :lol:

A 6-speed would so add to the overall driving experience of the FX.

·
Registered
277 Posts
its understandable why they have a MT in a M5 though...but also is odd cause I think they only make the M3 with the F1 shifters? are you sure the new M5 has MT?

·
Registered
292 Posts
fx45copper said:
its understandable why they have a MT in a M5 though...but also is odd cause I think they only make the M3 with the F1 shifters? are you sure the new M5 has MT?
The current M3 can be purchased with either a SMG(squential manual gearbox; i.e. a semi-manual) or a full stick-type manual. The SMG is actually a manual transmission but the computer engages and disengages the clutch for you. VERY trick.

As far as the M5, all previous models only came with a full manual transmission. The new M5 will be offered with only the SMG tranny but rumors are that in the American market they may have to offer a full manual as well because of customer demand.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
In a couple of weeks one of you will get to see what our MM is capable of...this is a fixable problem

In fact Infiniti has improved shfting for the G35 so maybe the FX is not far behind

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I will be a t the DC meet and Matt will see/feel it

·
Registered
411 Posts
brnjug said:
I will be a t the DC meet and Matt will see/feel it
And you'll be trying you best to get me to spend more money, huh? Hahahah. So we know what the cost is - how long does Level 10 need your FX to get this done? They're in NJ, right?

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
As I have been very upfront about...transmisson work is very expensive,but yields(quickness and driveability) are great

It is hard to imagine how good it can be..the new G35's come close on shifting speed(mine are faster still) the torque converter is another step altogether,but a half second+

Now that the kinks are all out,its one day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.