Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we only have 19k miles on our FX45, and the rear tires are completely bald on the outer rims. has anyone had this problem? we don't drive like maniacs. we have barely driven the car. we've gotten all our maintence done on time, with timely tire rotations.

i think they never really rotated our tires, because then there would be equal wear on all of them, right? can anyone help me understand? i don't want to have to buy NEW tires this soon!!! it's crazy! HELP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
First, welcome to the group 8)

If you have had your tires rotated properly and kept at the correct pressure then they should be evenly worn. If the edges are worn and the middle is OK then your tire pressure is more than likely too low. You specifically mentioned the rears, how do the fronts look?

As far as how long the OEM tires should last - it depends on a lot of variables; but I've heard reports of any where from 18K - 25K as an average.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks! this is my first time on this board, and i can see it's really helpful!

only the rear tires are worn, the front two are perfect. we will definitely have to check the tire pressure. guess we're gonna have to get new tires anyway, these are totally gone.

we're gonna be taking the car in to the dealership and see what they say. thanks for the info though! i reallly appreciate it! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
FX45Girl said:
only the rear tires are worn, the front two are perfect. we will definitely have to check the tire pressure. guess we're gonna have to get new tires anyway, these are totally gone.

we're gonna be taking the car in to the dealership and see what they say.
If you paid for tire rotations and have the receipts it would really be interesting to see what they have to say. There is no way properly rotated tires can be "perfect" on the front and "totally gone" on the rear. I would demand some form of compensation from the dealership (again assuming you have proof of proper service intervals). New tires would not be too much to ask for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's EXACTLY what my husband said! he doesn't understand why there is absolutely NO WEAR on the front two tires. there should be some wear on all 4 tires, if they've been rotated. we do have all our paperwork for the routine checkups and rotations, and the dealership has it in their system as well. we will probably fight this with them. we don't want to pay for new tires just yet, we shouldn't have to. we'll see what Infiniti has to say. thanks again for all your input!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
Yeah mine looked like crap at 20k or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
if you get 25K.....you is lucky :lol:

outside wear (like others have said) is usually from low inflation.

why the back tires are worn more than the front is odd :?

....oh....

and if you think your tires are bald, do a search and look for kcrudup's last set (pics). it will make you feel better :lol:

heres a sneak peek :

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
FX45Girl said:
we only have 19k miles on our FX45, and the rear tires are completely bald......
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with bald :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
FX45Girl said:
only the rear tires are worn, the front two are perfect. we will definitely have to check the tire pressure. guess we're gonna have to get new tires anyway, these are totally gone.

we're gonna be taking the car in to the dealership and see what they say.
If you paid for tire rotations and have the receipts it would really be interesting to see what they have to say. There is no way properly rotated tires can be "perfect" on the front and "totally gone" on the rear. I would demand some form of compensation from the dealership (again assuming you have proof of proper service intervals). New tires would not be too much to ask for.
I did that. They tell you TOUGH SH*T buy new tires. Soft, crappy tires. I am at 21K with the same problem :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE TO MY STORY:

my husband is at Infiniti right now with the car, and they told him it looks like there's a problem with the suspension. last winter, our car slipped and hit a sidewalk (pretty hard), and it totally screwed the alignment. we took it in, they fixed it, and rotated the tires. anyway, NOW they're telling us that the suspension was messed up in that accident too. looks like we're gonna have to go thru the insurance company yet again.

not sure why they didn't know the suspension was messed up when we took it in after the accident??!! ugh. this whole thing is so annoying. we're gonna need new tires regardless of who's fault it is. oh well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
952 Posts
Wait... they did an alignment, and gave the car back to you. I assume you have a reciept. Now the rear tires are bald, and the fronts are fine. Sounds like they are to fault for the tires. Plain and simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
FX45Girl said:
UPDATE TO MY STORY:

my husband is at Infiniti right now with the car, and they told him it looks like there's a problem with the suspension. last winter, our car slipped and hit a sidewalk (pretty hard), and it totally screwed the alignment. we took it in, they fixed it, and rotated the tires. anyway, NOW they're telling us that the suspension was messed up in that accident too. looks like we're gonna have to go thru the insurance company yet again.

not sure why they didn't know the suspension was messed up when we took it in after the accident??!! ugh. this whole thing is so annoying. we're gonna need new tires regardless of who's fault it is. oh well.
I too am confused? So they did not see the suspension problem earlier? Are they going to fix the suspension problem now? What is wrong with the suspension and how much is it going to cost to fix?

I suppose if the suspension was damaged and it needs repairing (e.g. parts and labor - emphasis on parts) then an insurance claim is in order depending on cost vs. deductible (you did hit the sdiewalk). I'd still question why it wasn't noted and fixed earlier.??

However IF they say there is no cost to "fix" the suspension, especially IF there are no parts involved then I'd suspect BS and call them on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, here's the latest.

the manager at the Infiniti shop told my husband that the front tires are slighty worn also. he said that with performance tires there is a rough drive, and tires will wear faster. the reason for the rear tires being worse than the front is becasue it is rear-wheel drive. they are currently checking to see if there is in fact anything wrong with the suspension. they did say that the car shouldn't be driven since the tires are in bad shape.

long story short - we're getting new two new tires...and eventually will replace the front ones too. i can only take so much BS from Infiniti. one person says one thing, another say something else. my next car will be a LEXUS!! LOL.

thanks for all the advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
FX45Girl said:
ok, here's the latest.

the manager at the Infiniti shop told my husband that the front tires are slighty worn also. he said that with performance tires there is a rough drive, and tires will wear faster. the reason for the rear tires being worse than the front is becasue it is rear-wheel drive. they are currently checking to see if there is in fact anything wrong with the suspension. they did say that the car shouldn't be driven since the tires are in bad shape.

long story short - we're getting new two new tires...and eventually will replace the front ones too. i can only take so much BS from Infiniti. one person says one thing, another say something else. my next car will be a LEXUS!! LOL.

thanks for all the advice!
Unfortunately people get the same BS regardless if it’s an Infiniti, Lexus or Benz dealer.

In this case I would call total BS on Infiniti, the purpose of having tires rotated, ESPECIALY on a rear-wheel drive vehicle is so they wear out evenly.

As long as you took your vehicle in at regular intervals to get a rotation the front and rear should be in similar shape.

They probably got lazy and only rotated the tires from left to right instead of the proper way where you take the left rear and switch with the front right and right rear with front left.

There is only one reason they would not be able to do this type of rotation and that is if the FX has different spacing or tire size from front to rear, in which case they wouldn’t be able to rotate the rear tires to the front and as a result the rears would indeed wear out much faster than the front.

One recommendation, I have learned this from driving a mustang for years, have the new tires installed up front and move your front tires to the rear, you always want the better grip up front.

by the way a suspension problem would only cause a tire to wear funny from side to side not cause rear tires to wear faster than front.

GOOD LUCK!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
My 2 cents.....BUY HANKOOK

You will be happier :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hanook or Toyo?!

Why Ventus?! Do you think it's better then Proxes or just cheaper?
It's time for me to change tires & I was thinking about Proxes ST (mostly because of the brand - Toyos seems to be more established)
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
For me I wanted the MOST I could get for my MONEY.

High tread wear and All Season

None of the others = both for less than $200 a tire at the time.

The site is now carrying the toyos at a good price.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top