NISMO LOW-TEMP THERMOSTAT
turn on circulation in 68 C vs OEM 82 C
We know the summer is coming ~~~

For detail information
http://www.nismo.co.jp/

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I know Mynismo sells them and they include new spacer with it too. I hope to get mine installed sometime soon.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
The first thing to come to mind is........Why??

Unless you're running a custom flash or complete standalone, you'll only hurt performance.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Well, living in Asia we feel that since during summer and spring like now, it gets really hot and humid. Most days we are running in the mid to upper 90's F. This way the car is helping itself stay cooler.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I hope to get mine installed by the end of this week. They are out of stock in Taiwan right now and waiting for the next shipment to come in.

Jim :p

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Winter will still be fine since its cold enough in LA winter nowadays, that it would still be keeping your engine at a constant temp. THis item only activates the cooling system a little earlier.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Its tropical storm here, yesterday nice and sunny right now pouring rain outside. **** I just got my fx washed and waxed yesterday.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Well, living in Asia we feel that since during summer and spring like now, it gets really hot and humid. Most days we are running in the mid to upper 90's F. This way the car is helping itself stay cooler.

Jim
Unless you're Infiniti uses entirely different running parameters compared to the US versions, you WILL be HURTING performance.

All new US cars must be OBD-II emmisions compliant. Because of this, tight parameters are set to minimize exhaust emmisions. If the engine is too warm, the cooling fan kicks in and the ECU richens up the A/F ratios. If the engine is too cold, the ECU interprets this as start up and therefore richens up the A/F ratios for quicker cat-con light off.

Read up about this "mod" in any new forum and you'll find the exact reasoning I'm giving you about decreased performance.

If you're really concerned about the factory cooling capacity, switch out your coolant to a 70/30 mix of water and coolant. If that's still not enough, you distilled water and some type of wetting agent like Redline's Water Wetter.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I will really read more into this. Since I have to travel again I might wait a little before I install this product. By then a few more of our Taiwan members will have installed theirs.

See what they have to say about this.

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The advantage to a cooler thermostat has always been to help the motor desipate heat and decrease the possibility of detonation.195 is the norm since we all got emissions crazy,while 160-165 is the norm in racing motors.
The ECU,however needs to be linked to this change to work effectively.The fan turn on remains the same,so cooling may not improve stuck in traffic,because your radiator fan still comes on at the same temp.In motion the car should run cooler,but there may be no change w/o air flow
Lastly,the ECU goes from closed to open loop at a preset temperature,so this change cannot interfer with that or you will run real rich all the time.mhgsx sited all the things that can go wrong

This seems a very expensive way to get a $5 thermostat,but maybe you have to...got a call into my tech

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
hmmm THis discussion is getting very interesting, I may just hold off on this install. There is a major group buy going on right now in Taiwan for this part. I can live without it, since my S/C has a intercooler installed already. Just thought this might make the fx run at a cooler temp and a little better running times during the summer.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My tech called me back.The key temperature for our motors is 156 degrees F(whatever that is C).Said diff,the ECU must see that reading to come out of cold start and read sensors.If 65C is below that,it will run very rich.He also said these cars never overheat(short of coolant leaks)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Thanks so much for the information, I think I will pass on this buy.

HEHE :twisted:
Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice input ! that is 69 C = 156 F
I'll check if the coolant fan always work hard because of this
68C thermostat. :shock:

brnjug said:
My tech called me back.The key temperature for our motors is 156 degrees F(whatever that is C).....

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The fan will come on and off based on stock settings.The thermostat does not change that...in traffic conditions with little air flow the temp will rise to normal levels.Driving/cruising will result in lower temp,BUT,as it appears,the system wil stay inclose loop(if I have that right) and run rich.
So you will lose pwoer and suck up fuel
ECU and thermostat need to me compatible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.