Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we please keep the subject matter on this board related to FX/Infiniti kinds of things. I am seeing more and more of off-topic posts which just clutters up the other threads.

At a minimum, how about an off-topic category that isn't co-mingled with relevant threads.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
As the board is set up now, "General Chat" is inclusive of off-topic subjects and threads. It's a nice place to hang and talk about anything, FX related or not. I don't really see a problem with off-topics threads, as long as FX related threads aren't being hi-jacked and taken to off-topic tangents, which doesn't really happen. It's quite simple enough to determine whether or not the thread is FX related or not from the thread title and make the decision of whether or not you cxare to read that thread. An "off-topic" section of the forum is fine if that's what the Powers That Be decide, but with all of the FX sub-sections already in existance, I don't think there would be very much left to go in the General Chat forum that IS FX related (buying/service experiences, financing, the "I was out for a drive today and"... posts, what else?) if everyone posted in the appropriate sub-sections (for example, your warning light problem post could have been placed in the appropriate "problems, Issues, Concerns" sub-category as opposed to the General Chat section). Seems to me there's plenty of space for both general FX related posts AND off-topic threads here. Just my .02. 8)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough. Seems to be some lonely people here though.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice to have a place to go when your lonely. The main group of us here are pretty tight knit; a lot of people outside here just don't get us FX-aholics. :wink:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
FXcellent said:
Seems to be some lonely people here though.
Give me a fscking break. Why?! 'Cause they're on a message board?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not because they are on a message board. Just wandering why there are alot of off topic posts lately. Don't get your feelings all hurt!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Agree

I'm sorry, I totally agree with FXcellent. It's very frustrating to open thread after thread trying to find FX related talk, only to find the thread is about J.Lo, music, firearms, Australia, dogs and cats living together.

Besides the off-putting FA forum, this is the best FX site on the web, and, more importantly, there are dozens of other sites for odd-topic stories and commentary. When a new user comes to this site, they probably read the forum with the most posts, which is "Chat" by a landslide .. they find a 30/70% mix of off/on topic posts, and that just can't be good.

Not that it's terrible that this community discuss off-topic items .. but since happens in the forum with the largest # of posts, it really dilutes the direction.

So, what I'd suggest, is changing "General Chat" to "General FX Chat" and create a new forum "Off-Topic" and move OT threads there.

Wouldn't that make everyone happy? The argument that we need a place to talk about OT items would go away, and the folks that just want to talk about the FX would be happy. Right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like it the way it is. I like the melange; the mixing of FX related stuff with... well, whatever. It's sort of a central meeting place and it gives this board it's unique personality.

And the description of what is included under General Chat on the forum index is extremely clear. So if a new user is somehow confused by this, they can certainly... well, whatever.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
"general FX chat" - seems like a well directed solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Agree

duncantuna said:
I'm sorry, I totally agree with FXcellent. It's very frustrating to open thread after thread trying to find FX related talk, only to find the thread is about J.Lo, music, firearms, Australia, dogs and cats living together.
You guys should start reading the titles of threads before you open them. "Firearms in the FX" is bound to be a thread about guns. That might save you some frustration.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Maybe we should start paying closer attention to what we title the threads; I can see how one would expect to see FX content in "J. Lo is off the market at least for now". :roll:

Really, guys, if you're looking for something specific, look in the appropriate subsection, do a search or simply ask. If you read the purpose line for the General Chat section, it reads: "Hang out here and talk about whatever. On topic, or off topic." Pretty clear.

We love new people to come and join and certainly don't want to turn anyone off, but this forum is set up a bit differently than FA with specific sub-sections that are very detailed in their areas. I would hope the atmosphere of the General Chat section helps to convey the laid back nature of the forum and the majority of the members and be welcoming to newcomers.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I can see how one would expect to see FX content in "J. Lo is off the market at least for now".
Heh. I was in my FX when they announced it on the radio- does that count?! :)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I am a member on 2 Infiniti chats(this one far superior to the other-FA),2 turbo Buick chats and 2 list serves.Does other stuff creep in- yes and I ignore,read or delete which ever is appropriate.I have noticed that volume and energy often increases around politics and other less serious topics.Clear topics are the best screens whether the material is funny or interesting or just not!
I am voting for Taft!

·
Registered
32 Posts
No Politics Please

As long as there are NO political comments I can go with the flow. This is a car form and the post should be tied into the FX even if ever so slightly.

That's my vote... oops sorry I said not politics.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
MGFR

I agree with MGFR and the gang. A "General Chat" means just that - any topics as long as they are not blatantly offensive should be ok and it's up to the reader to filter the thread accordingly by looking at the title. I enjoy the "closer-knit" feeling of this board as it seems to be visisted up of more hardcore FX-holics. I like that fact that our common enthusiam gives way to a more"relaxed" atmosphere no matter what topic is being discussed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would be in favor of opening an "FX General" or "FX Misc" topic for any FX-related posts that don't fit into pre-existing categories.

I like having an off-topic forum and would not like to see it go away or be restricted in any way. One compromise that may work for everybody is to simply move the General Chat topic down to the bottom of the screen, so it doesn't seem to imply such importance or relevance. That's where I tend to see off-topic forums on other boards.

If we create an "FX General" board and open a general chat forum down at the bottom of the screen, everybody can be happy (except, maybe, people who don't like to scroll... :roll:

If these changes are made, I would hope that people who don't like political discussions would know better than to hang around a topic where they're likely to take place.

D

·
Registered
848 Posts
My $.02...

I'm fine with the forum as is. However, I think creating separate General Chat - FX, and General Chat - Off-Topic categories might just make everyone happy. Obviously this is not a democracy, and is totally up to our friendly neighborhood site admin. Maybe if more folks were supporting members he could afford to make such changes :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
Maybe if more folks were supporting members he could afford to make such changes :p
Okay, so I'm not so technologically sophisiticated. But, how does one go about becoming a supporting member? I applied under the "Usergroups" and never heard anything back...I left the request as "pending" for a week and a half and then I removed it because I assumed there must be another way...but if there is I can't figure it out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts