Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my last audio upgrade. Special thanks to FXHEAD and johnmax for their ideas/input.

I actually installed it last wknd but only got around to taking the pics today. There was a lot of dremel-ing to the cup holder piece to fit the controller in there - this is definitely not for the faint hearted. The HD unit was mounted on top of the NAV box under the passenger seat for easy access. There's pleny of room for cooling (more than 1.5" of clearance). It's still a work in progress - I'm going to try to fill the area around the controller to give it a nice finished look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
couple more pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
All of your mods in this section have been extremely meticulous (sp) ...didn't expect anything less this time around either. 8) Now-you-see-it/now-you-don't stealth NY install.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliments. It was a tough decision to lose the cup holders but I think its for the better. Spilled soda/coffee is a bitch to clean up, especially from the seat ocntrols.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Came out good Ujmot.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looks real good!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cool. Nice install.
I didn't realize there was that much room under the passenger seat to be able to put it on top of the navigation box - might have to consider moving mine to there too. Does the seat still move in all directions without hitting it?
Did you hook it up to dim with the lights? I did at first then disconnected that option - I like the normal brightness level at night too.
Do you have the antenna hooked up?
I love not having to bother with CDs anymore and always having all my music in the FX.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

FXHEAD:
- The way its mounted, I'd say I have about 90% movement of the seat. It limits the seat from going all the way down - it may block the fan. However, the only person that really sits on the pass seat is my wife (5'4") so it's not a concern for me. Forward & back and all other functions still have full range.

- Yes, I have the dimmer hooked up but I may disconnect it as well.

- Not yet. I'm still cleaning up my library and doing massive transfers still but eventually I will hook it up. Trying to decide where it should go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
nice job

nice install as always, but I would prefer the control somewhere near the radio itself just because it seems to be a safer option when your driving. To be looking down to select music seems dangerous. But again very nice and clean install. I want to see if there is any way to place this where the cassette player is. this way it is near the radio, stealth and at a optimal viewing angle. I beleive this would work if the controller was a bit thinner.....any suggestions...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: nice job

Rock said:
nice install as always, but I would prefer the control somewhere near the radio itself just because it seems to be a safer option when your driving. To be looking down to select music seems dangerous. But again very nice and clean install. I want to see if there is any way to place this where the cassette player is. this way it is near the radio, stealth and at a optimal viewing angle. I beleive this would work if the controller was a bit thinner.....any suggestions...
Thanks! Behind the cassette door was definitely my 1st choice. Spent a lot of time measuring and I am still unsure that there would be be enough room to mount it (even if there was room, how would I mount the face?). Ultimately, I wasnt willing to destroy the headunit just to see if it would work. The cup holder is inexpensive.

To be honest, this mod was for my wife: it diverts her attention away from the road and stops her bitchin about my agressive driving and more importantly no complaints about my choice of music! :) Otherwise, I would have put it in the same spot as FXHEAD's set up and not give up the cupholders. For the times that I'm in the car by myself, I created a bunch of playlists for those occasions and shuffle play it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.