Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished installing my MP3 player today. Don't have step-by-step photos but some pics are below. It syncs wirelessly with my home computer to add new songs or playlists or to update its firmware - pretty cool.

This is the headunit. I put it in the top compartment of the passenger center armrest. The armrest is still fully functional - it still slides.

It's wired down through the center compartment.

Main unit w/hard drive is under center console. 20GB drive can be replaced with larger drive if I ever need to.

Can fully enclose this because I hardly ever need to get to it. I access it wirelessly from a computer in my house. Here it is closed back up.

I ran the Wi-Fi antenna from under the center console, under the carpet, under the front passenger door and up the passenger side front pillar. It's inside there a little more than halfway up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How is the omnifi connected to the fx......is it through the dvd harness in the center console? how much is it and where can I get one? do you need a amplifier in between the omnifi and dvd harness?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow!! i like it! I am assuming he either used the existing DVD harness (which sadly i DONT have) or he wired it to the back of the head unit. How much does that system cost? i might do something very similar

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the omnifi connected to the fx......is it through the dvd harness in the center console? how much is it and where can I get one? do you need a amplifier in between the omnifi and dvd harness?
I connected with the AAI-NIS which goes in through the satellite input in back of radio. I would have used the DVD wiring harness but my 2005 FX didn't come with one and Infiniti wouldn't sell me one so I just went the AAI-NIS route. Can't use my satellite radio now but I wasn't going to pay for a subscription to listen to it anyway.
You can find the Omnifi DMP1 cheap on eBay.
Don't need any in-line amp/gain control. Volume is same as CD/radio.

is it possible to do this without tech?
I don't think not having tech matters. It can either be wired in through DVD input or Satellite input - basically the same as the ipod instructions you can find on this forum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Now that i'm looking at the specs, i noticed it is 802.11B only. Any way to upgrade this thing to 802.11G??? i have a G network and transfering at B speeds seems like it will be painfully slow

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have B and G and B isnt that bad I think unless your in a big rush...I transfered all of my songs from my main computer to my laptop on B and I had about 1,000 songs and it took about an hour. so depending if you need the speed or if you have a large amount of songs will determine if you need the B or G Im sure they will come out with a G receiver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that i'm looking at the specs, i noticed it is 802.11B only. Any way to upgrade this thing to 802.11G??? i have a G network and transfering at B speeds seems like it will be painfully slow
Seems like there would be a way to upgrade to 802.11g but you don't really need g. When you first transfer all your MP3 and WMA files to the hard drive you can do it via USB 2.0 cable. The hard drive ejects from the main unit for this reason. Then the Wi-Fi is used for adding new songs and such. You can set the software to different sync methods: maybe every night at 2AM or every time you turn off the car or only when you click the sync button or whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nice.. I'd almost tempted to have the control panel in the clock location rather than in the armrest. But it's theft deterant to locate it in the armrest. Now I've got another project to add to the "to do" list... 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice.. I'd almost tempted to have the control panel in the clock location rather than in the armrest. But it's theft deterant to locate it in the armrest. Now I've got another project to add to the "to do" list...
It took me a while to decide where to put it. The clock location would be great but I like the look of the clock - I find it hard to read but I like its style. The clock location definitely would be better as far as ease of use goes though.
Also spent lots of time trying to decide if I wanted to cut back the front of the tape deck and put the control there in a way that I would still be able to open and close the cover but decided I really didn't want to ruin the tape deck even though it will probably never be used. I know I can't detach the tape deck but there is room to chop off some of the front of it before you get to any of the electronics/mechanics. I thought that would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Great job! Looks awesome....looks like another thing to add on my FX.

A few q's:
How's the user interface on the unit?
With the controls on the sliding armrest, is it easy to read/use on the road?
Would the harddrive unit fit under the driver/pass seat?

TIA!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all the responses I've gotten.

A few q's:
How's the user interface on the unit?
Here's a close up of the interface. I like it - easy to navigate. As you can see there are buttons to take you directly to a listing of artists, albums, genres, and favorites, or you can see a list of every song title. You can either scroll down the lists with the knob or jump down it with the double arrow button.

With the controls on the sliding armrest, is it easy to read/use on the road?
Well, I wouldn't say it's easy but it's not bad. Of course doing some things on it like searching for a song among about 4,000 that you have on it when you don't know the artist would be pretty hard and doing other things like just skipping ahead to the next song would be easy.
Would the harddrive unit fit under the driver/pass seat?
Not sure. I slid it under my driver's seat before I installed it and it may be a little too tall because it has to sit on top of the air vent under there but I didn't really look into that. It slid under there fine but when I moved the seat it slid with it - could have been something that could be adjusted to where it would fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you access it remotley? Does the device stay on all the time or do you have to turn on your accessory in your car?

and FYI, there is an AAI-NIS splitter you can put on the cd changer input so you can run Sat Radio, Cd Changer, and an MP3 player.

- ANdy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you access it remotley? Does the device stay on all the time or do you have to turn on your accessory in your car?
There are a couple of different ways to have it communicate with your home computer.
1) Set it to auto-sync at a certain time. If you set it to auto-sync at 2AM for example the unit in the car turns itself on (It has constant power from the car battery as well as switched power through ignition switch) and connects to your wireless network to search for any changes it needs to make to the song library.
2) You can sync it manually by turning on the accessory power in your car and then going to the synchronization settings on the display.
I haven't had time to screw around with this thing much so there may be other ways as well.
and FYI, there is an AAI-NIS splitter you can put on the cd changer input so you can run Sat Radio, Cd Changer, and an MP3 player
Cool - thanks for leting me know. I'm not impressed enough with sat radio to pay for it but that may change so it's good to know I can have both if I ever change my mind.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for all the detailed info!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.