Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing the BFG tire everyone likes here described as the "g-Force KDW-2". According to the website, the KDW with the really great handling numbers is not the -2 variant:

This doesn't have the -2 in the URL, nor in the description

This has the -2 in the URL, but it's not in the description

But the first link above is rated better overall- and it does have the aggressive tread like what I've seen here in the forums:

From looking at their .PDF file, it looks like the model number in the "New Tread" above for the FX on dubs is "936-268"- can anyone who's gotten these verify this is the right part number?

(Alternatively, and I think this is what Rob't Desault has (had?) are the 295/45R20s in the above thread- the numbers seem to work, too. I might try that).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
kcrudup said:
it looks like the model number in the "New Tread" above for the FX on dubs is "936-268"
OK, I'm convinced this is the right tire to get. I followed my own advice and did a "Search" (and it looks like the "-2" is TireRack's own designation, not BFGs).
However:
(Alternatively, and I think this is what Rob't Desault has (had?) are the 295/45R20s in the above thread- the numbers seem to work, too. I might try that).
I don't think I'll be doing this (up-widthing) after seeing the post Robert made where he thought there was less handling vs. the original width.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
are you sure those tires are going to be right for all that RAIN you guys in CA have ?ba - dum - dump :shock: :D

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bradical said:
are you sure those tires are going to be right for all that RAIN you guys in CA have
Ha Ha Ha. :evil:

It's evidently all better now- didn't you see the thread on FA where I demanded God stop switching our weather with Seattle's?! ****, the sun was out today!

Besides, they're evidently pretty good in the rain. I found a dealer here in SoCal (Coast General Tire, on Harbor in Costa Mesa) that's got 'em in stock for $232 installed and balanced. I'll probably have 'em put my brakes on, too (gotta hit up Costa Mesa Infiniti for the pads).

·
Registered
498 Posts
People seem to also be happy with the Toyo Peoxes S/T.

I was under the impression that there was an issue with the treadlife on the first generation of the KDWs. Hence the second generation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
kcrudup said:
it's has, still have it

Rob

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
desualt said:
kcrudup said:
it's has, still have it
Do you still think they're worse than the stock RS/As?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ShadyJC said:
Kenny, I thought you were going to go with a BBK?
I'd indicated interest, but the consensus was they were unnecessary if not tracking. Besides, even considering my driving style (and even a few panic stops), I find the standard-issue FX brakes to be just fine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
kcrudup said:
desualt said:
kcrudup said:
it's has, still have it
Do you still think they're worse than the stock RS/As?
currently driving in the white stuff with Blizzaks so can't say right now, I think I will have the suspension checked at the dealer to be sure there is nothing wrong with it, feels "funny" but I am not sure what it is

Rob

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These tires are AWESOME!

Well, I got 'em on, and they are excellent! They stick way better than I remember (more on that, later) of the RS-As! In the OC going to one of my clients I take this one off ramp (the Barranca exit from the 133N near the 405S) at 70-80, even with the RS-As I had on the car (again, more on that later). Today, I pulled the same curve at 90, and probably could have done more. At street-legal speeds, making turns (I have an STB, too) is now a matter of a simple downshift instead of braking (which I did anyway, but at slower speeds :).

So far, I love 'em to death. Now I gotta test their rain performance, which brings me to Part Two of this post.

WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURES AHEAD!

As y'all know, it had been raining like a sumbitch here in SoCal, and while we get a little rain in what passes for "Winter" here, this season it was something like the 3rd wettest in Cali history. Well, I'm here to tell you that ATTESA-ETS (AKA "ASS-SAVA") is a WONDERFUL system! I've been meaning to get new tires since at least September, but between worrying about finding a dealer I could trust to put 'em on (and not scratch my rims), uncertainty of exactly which tire to get and being hella busy with clients, I kept putting it off and off and off. As of this morning my rears looked like this after 33,000 miles:

The fronts don't look much better, and you can see the main driving wheel is the pass rear (bottom pic).

Thanks to ASS-SEVA, in the wet, though I could definately tell there was less traction at speed (Hey, I'm not ashamed to say I did 80 in the rain on those slicks- foolhardy, perhaps. Ashamed? NO!) and when I could feel slight tendencies to hydroplane, ASS-SEVA quickly shunted power around to the various wheels as appropriate and there was no SLIP light (I leave the VDC ON in the rain). I took wet offramps quite a bit slower, but I never felt any lack of control in any situation. You go Nissan!

... but all that's behind me now!

Robert D, I'm now convinced that despite it being able to fit and have the right aspect match and size, that going 295/45 is the cause of your issues with the KDWs. Oh, and as far as tire noise? **** if I know- I play the **** outta my Bose! :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and I'd like to give a shout-out to the place that put my tires on, Coast General Tire Pros at Harbor and Adams in Costa Mesa. They were really professional, knew their stuff (it was encouraging to see lots of blingmobiles, including this one daaamnice red Maserati V8, getting their work done there) and even washed my car when it was done (which with my bad luck, means LA's doomed to have rain this weekend). They weren't even fazed by the pressure sensors.

If you're in the OC and need a trustworthy place to take your car, I recommend 'em. Their prices were even competitive: Tire Rack wanted $218, then they had to be shipped, mounted and balanced. CGTP charged me $230 M/B +10% extra for a comprehensive road-hazard warranty (48mo/48Kmi with full replacement first 12mo/12Kmi, free rebalances and rotation).

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
holy crap!

racing slicks :lol:

now THATS real tire wear

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
keep us posted over time as well to the wear performance on these. even thought i live outside of DC, i would get summer tires on the car as we rarely get snows here and they are minor at best.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Its nice that we have you on some thread now(you stretched that one a bit)...did you go with the 295/45x20's
While I like my Toyo's ,it would be nice to only deal with dry and wet(not snow)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bradical said:
keep us posted over time as well to the wear performance on these.
Will do!

I can't say it enough (just came back home, tried taking streets to get some turns in, foiled by slowasses at every, er, "turn" :))- I really loooove these tires. With the STB, and later, the lowering Eibachs, this thing's gotta be able to do .93, .94G!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brnjug said:
Did you go with the 295/45x20's
Nah- not after what Rob D. went through. Happy as I am, I have no regrets!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.