1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you guys choose:
a 12" shallow mount Pioneer sub being pushed with ~150watts
or
2 DVC 8"s being pushed 150watts a piece (300total)?

I never heard (or even seen) a system with 8" subs before (I used to use 2 10"s in my little BMW, which was OVERKILL)... just wondering if they would even be adequate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It all depends what you want... I went from 2 JL Audio 12's in my M3 to 1 10" Audiobahn... Having just turned 30 I no longer want to be heard a mile away or do that kind of damage to my ears :) but I find the signal 10" to be very good... I would imagine that 2 8s would be fine especially if you found 2 10's overkill.

Most of the 8s I've heard are bass tubes and bazookas... I would guess that 2 good 8s would work out great and not be lacking... But again it all depends on your listening habits, type of music to listen to and how you want it to sound. Its very subjective.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ujmot said:
Which would you guys choose:
a 12" shallow mount Pioneer sub being pushed with ~150watts
or
2 DVC 8"s being pushed 150watts a piece (300total)?

I never heard (or even seen) a system with 8" subs before (I used to use 2 10"s in my little BMW, which was OVERKILL)... just wondering if they would even be adequate.
its funny you say this :) i am currently in the process of building a sub with dual 8" W3v2 4 ohm dual VC subs from JL Audio. i am mounting them in the spare tire. i just completed the mount with the subs and now i am getting ready to get the amp and cables. i am going to power it with a JL 250/1 Mono amp. ill take a pic later of what i have so far.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definitely not into big boomy, sloppy bass but rather tight & accurate (i'm sure the 8s will do that well) but something that's capable of hitting the real lows.

thnx

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bradical said:
its funny you say this :) i am currently in the process of building a sub with dual 8" W3v2 4 ohm dual VC subs from JL Audio. i am mounting them in the spare tire. i just completed the mount with the subs and now i am getting ready to get the amp and cables. i am going to power it with a JL 250/1 Mono amp. ill take a pic later of what i have so far.
Brad,

You're mounting them IN the spare? How did you build the enclosure (is it like Shajan and Ak1nza's)?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ujmot said:
bradical said:
Brad,

You're mounting them IN the spare? How did you build the enclosure (is it like Shajan and Ak1nza's)?
i cut out a disk of wood that sits in the lip of the spare. the two subs fit in there nicely. i am first going to try and just seal the disk with weatherstripping on the rim lip without building a separate fiberglass enclosure. i wnat to experiment with that first.

i was thinking that, with the right speaker placement, that you could also use the stock sub hold down screw, to tighten down the custom wood disc and just seal the edges with foam weather stripping. my first cut of the sub disc, does not have room for me to do this though, so im going to test the weight seal method first ;)

otherwise, i will recut the disc so that the speakers are slightly farther apart, drill a hole for the screw rod, and then tighten it down that way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You lose the low frequencies the smaller you get... Any good quality sub should be tight and precise. If you not interested in booming then go with the 8's....

Good 8's will give a far better frequency response than the Bose that’s in there and will be a lot more tight and precise... I don't think you can do anything and have it sound any worse than the Bose sounds IMO.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Vivid said:
You lose the low frequencies the smaller you get... Any good quality sub should be tight and precise. If you not interested in booming then go with the 8's....

Good 8's will give a far better frequency response than the Bose that’s in there and will be a lot more tight and precise... I don't think you can do anything and have it sound any worse than the Bose sounds IMO.
i agree...and especially if you are driving them with a good amp that is matched to the speakers

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brad - Ah, ok. Sounds good, let me know how it works out for you.

Vivid - Thanks. I think I'm going to order the 8s along with some components/coaxs. I've been getting a lot of fatigue from listening to the stock system and its starting to bother me, A LOT.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ujmot said:
Brad - Ah, ok. Sounds good, let me know how it works out for you.

Vivid - Thanks. I think I'm going to order the 8s along with some components/coaxs. I've been getting a lot of fatigue from listening to the stock system and its starting to bother me, A LOT.
i figure that the worst case scenario is that i NEED to build an enclosure for it...but first im going to experiment without

·
Registered
105 Posts
ujmot - are you going to replace the rest or just the sub?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be replacing the front door & dash w/ a set of components (leaving the center) and the rear doors w/ coaxs. I have 2 amps - a 4channel for fronts and 2 channel for subs.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ok, here are some pics of my sub mount so far. the handles are so i can get the thing up once its in the lip of the rim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
im going to get 2 jl w6v2s cuz nothing compares well cept the w7 but thats too much and the w6v2 sounds almost as good especially when you have two of them 8)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
It actually looks like it's smiling (with shades on), probably much like you when cranked! - Look at it.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
It actually looks like it's smiling (with shades on), probably much like you when cranked! - Look at it.
its an alien!!!! ahhhh!!!!

ive created an alien! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Ok, now my question would be what do you guys do with the spare? Do you put it over the sub? Wouldnt that distort some of the base?

Right now I am using a bazzoka tube since I can remove it anytime to put luggage and things. If you can build the sub and still have room for the spare that would be great to show me how. In my old bimmer I removed the spare compeletely and installed my equiptment and sub in that space but when I drove long distance I still carried my aftermarket spare in the trunk for safety reason, hate to do this with the fx since its not a light part.

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a 12" JL w6v2 and it hits crazy hard. I havn't had the bass on recently because my ears are starting to hut. :?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
bradical said:
ok, here are some pics of my sub mount so far. the handles are so i can get the thing up once its in the lip of the rim.
bradical, that is a really clean look. Nice job!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ShadyJC said:
bradical said:
bradical, that is a really clean look. Nice job!
thanks!

as for removing the spare, i am leaving it in like Ak1nza did and shajan, etc..

i am going to test three ways.

(1) just drop in the disk and see what it sounds like
(2) plug up the lug holes in the spare with rubber grommets and then do the same as in 1 and see if it soudns different
(3) completely seal the spare tire rim by using plugs and then modifying the disk so i can use the stock hold down rod thru the center to "seal" it tight.

i am also thinking about trying to mount my amp to the right side wheel well carpet in the trunk by using velcro (i.e.. make a board mount for the AMP similar to what ak1nza did and then attach velcro to the edges of that to hold it in place. that way i can yank it easily if i need extra room. 8)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts