Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Hello everyone. I have been an owner of a couple of FX's since last November. I bought them brand new. My question is related to oil. I have searched the site but have not found a conclusive answer.
The question is should I add Synthetic oil before certain mileage? I asked the dealer and they STRONGLY advice me against going synthetic. In fact they told me a story about someone who used synthetic after the first oild change and "messed up the engine". This is the dealership in Cincinnati.

Also, is it true that Synthetics may pass through the engine and get "used" more easily? Is it true that Sythetics will pass through the engine seals and cause leaks?

I apologize if this has ben covered before. But I prefer to ask than lament my self. I love my FX's and would not like to mess them up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Synthetics are designed to match or exceed the same characteristics of dino oil. The were designed for high performance engines and are not required for the FX. They may last a little longer but since they become contaminated just like dino oil, it's generally not a good idea to postpone oil changes. Some have addatives that you may or may not want. Some say gas mileage improves.... I don't know.

I'm switching to synthetic at 7500 miles anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To put things in perspective, I have owned what you could consider "high performance" engines (Bavarian cars). They have not been as good quality and reliable as the Japanese cars though. The very last European car I had, used too much oil, which happened to be synthetic (amsoil). I just do not know enough to make an educated suggestion without fearing damage the engines.

What I am trying to understand with my questions, is how much out there is "preference or choice" driven as oposed to true facts (synthetic being better than traditional oils without bad consequences). Like you said "I learned from my mistakes..."

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer told me same thing -- stay away from synthetic in the FX he said -- infinti will void your warantee. I used synthetic in all my cars previous and felt I was doing the right thing. Apparently - its something to stay away from with the FX - according to what Ive heard first hand.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
RascalsObsidiansMaul said:
My dealer told me same thing -- stay away from synthetic in the FX he said -- infinti will void your warantee. I used synthetic in all my cars previous and felt I was doing the right thing. Apparently - its something to stay away from with the FX - according to what Ive heard first hand.
Never believe your dealer....I have sythic in my fx and z.

I think I saw it for sale at my dealer when I was there in there mod case.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I agree with Sweet, don't believe the dealer. My dealer added synthetic at my last oil change, so no it should not affect the warranty.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My dealer offered it and is the one putting it in this coming monday. In fact they even said I could bring my own if I wanted another brand (other than Mobil 1) or if I could find it cheaper elsewhere!!!!!!!!!! **** nice these Infiniti ppl. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
About Synthetic oil. Strange, but my dealer, Niello in Concorde CA, recommended it. They use syntech by Castrol, I get 17-18 mpg city, and just a little more on the highway ( generally at about 95 mph, if it's off to Vegas.

One problem that I had was covered in another posting, the rough running when accelerating, always after a service. FX4U2C, thanks for posting the answer - too much oil.

tks, FX747

·
Registered
551 Posts
welcome :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
No way synthetics void your warranty, only if you use the wrong/non-recommended grade, ie. something to thick or along those lines.

But any dealer telling you that switching to the same grade synthetic voids a warranty doesn't know what they are doing.

I'm going to go to synthetic as well at my 1st oil change. The stuff is just better than regular oil and you don't have to change it as often.

Jeff

·
Registered
748 Posts
JLee said:
I'm going to go to synthetic as well at my 1st oil change.
Jeff
I'm getting my first oil change at 1000 (actually about 1100 by the time I bring it in). I was thinking about synthetic but I heard you need to let the engine break in for about 4000-5000 miles before switching. However, the service dept has no problem with me switching to Mobile 1 at 1100 miles. Didn't even bring up the warrantee. What does this group recommend? Synthetic at 1100 or stay away?

-NJJ

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
With roller hydraulic lifters you can change as early as 500 miles,,I have several times.The 5000 rule was for regular lifters and cam lob break in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.