Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using mostly Purolator PL14612 or Mobil M1-108A oil filters and Mobil-1 fully synthetic oil in my 2007 FX35 since buying it in 2009.

The other day, I saw an ad from the local NAPA store that they had a sale. Buy a 5 quart jug of fully synthetic oil and get a free NAPA Platinum oil filter free. The guy at the parts counter looked up the car and gave me a 41358 filter and 5w-30 oil. I brought it home and I still had 1 M1-108A filter sitting on the shelf. The NAPA 41358 filter is about ¼ inch shorter than the M1-108A! I went on-line and entered the car's information and the NAPA website said that their 41358 filter is the correct filter for a 2007 FX35.

Why would the filter be shorter than any other filter that I have ever used but be the "correct" filter?

Has anyone ever seen this before? I would think that an oil filter that is not the right "volume" could result in a higher pressure in the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't speak to your part numbers specifically, but in general... oil filter can and do vary in length. However, they may still have the right thread pitch and seal properly. So you can use a shorter filter. However, oil filters that are taller will usually do a better job filtering when you get above 50% if useful life.

Oil filter design changes drastically and as a rule you get what you pay for, but not always. If you always change your oil at 3,000 miles, because you use conventional oils then you can get away with any filter designed for use on your vehicle. And I see no reason why a cheaper filter can't be used.

However, when you start extending your oil life to 5,000 or 7,500 miles, and you elect to spend the money on full synthetic oils, then I would buy a higher quality filter. This maybe a Napa "Gold" brand or Mobil-1. Most people buy filters based on their ability to sleep better at night vs. budget considerations.

Further, if you engine burns a lot of oil, and you are adding 1qt/1000 miles then I don't know if it is more important to buy a higher quality filter. My guess is "no," because you are always adding fresh oil. On the other hand, I don't know if blow-by increases your need for a higher quality filter? Maybe someone else can comment on this?

You might google filter reviews to learn more.

In any event, you are probably doing THE NEXT OWNER a favor by spending more money on higher quality filters; and while you own the car you will not notice any difference or experience more service repairs, because you elected to buy a cheap filter. (If anyone disagrees, feel free to do so.) I personally buy the middle-priced filter, including FRAM which usually gets the worst reviews.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to change the oil based totally at 3000 mile intervals until I switched to the 100% fully synthetic Mobil-1. After having an oil cooler line blow out on me about 20 years ago in a GM car with a big V-8 and I had been using the fully synthetic Mobil-1 and I basically drove about 4 miles with the crankcase empty and that engine had no issues, I decided to use the fully synthetic Mobil-1 in everything that I owned since then. Since the Mobil-1 bottles say 12 months or 12,000 miles and the Extended Performance Mobil-1 oil filters say that they filter for up to 20,000 miles, the oil now gets changed every 7500 miles. If I'm using Mobil-1 Extended Performance or the premium Purolater, I don't know what qualifies as a "cheaper" filter. Anyway, cheaper or expensive oil filters seems to be "off topic".

I have NEVER seen a filter from any manufacturer that was for a specific engine application that wasn't the same size as every other filter for that same engine. If I take a Nissan, Mobil-1, Purolator, or whatever filter for a 2007 FX35 AWD with the 3.5L V6, the filters have all been the same diameter and height. This NAPA Platinum filter is shorter. That makes me uncomfortable. I think that I'm going to try to return it and exchange it for a filter for one of my other cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using mostly Purolator PL14612 or Mobil M1-108A oil filters and Mobil-1 fully synthetic oil in my 2007 FX35 since buying it in 2009.

The other day, I saw an ad from the local NAPA store that they had a sale. Buy a 5 quart jug of fully synthetic oil and get a free NAPA Platinum oil filter free. The guy at the parts counter looked up the car and gave me a 41358 filter and 5w-30 oil. I brought it home and I still had 1 M1-108A filter sitting on the shelf. The NAPA 41358 filter is about ¼ inch shorter than the M1-108A! I went on-line and entered the car's information and the NAPA website said that their 41358 filter is the correct filter for a 2007 FX35.

Why would the filter be shorter than any other filter that I have ever used but be the "correct" filter?

Has anyone ever seen this before? I would think that an oil filter that is not the right "volume" could result in a higher pressure in the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Google Wix oil filters, there better than Purolator filters, Amsoil were is at, research it. Best in the biz

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 FX35,I bought a Invidia cat back exhaust system, it is hitting or vibrating, the exhaust is tight, I think it's hitting the W sub-frame, I'm guessing, this is typical? I need help, stop the madness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts