Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my FX45 a month ago (slightly used '04) and want to change the oil. I don't know what type of oil the previous owner used. I stopped by the local Infiniti dealer and they told me they use a blend of regular oil and synthetic. I called them back a week later to check prices on an oil change and asked what type of oil they used and was told regular Penzoil 5w-30 (do you ever get the same answer twice?).

I've read that once you go with synthetic, you shouldn't go back to regular oil. I have never used synthetic oil. Is there a way to tell the difference between synthetic and regular motor oil?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Oh yeah, boy do I love this car!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Provided you completely drain the old oil, I see no reason why you can't safely exchange synthetic for dino and vice versa. I'd stick with synthetic since the engine is already broken in. The thing you don't want to do is mix the oils due to different additives and viscosity ratings.

·
Registered
882 Posts
also, once you go synthetic you want to stay with syn. You don't want to switch between syn and regular.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Shouldn't the dealer be able to look up the vehicle by VIN and see what services were performed on it before? Unless, of course, it wasn't serviced at any dealer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
kxfx45:

Here's a thread where synthetic oils, benefits and service grade/ratings properties were discussed. Just more information for your reference. There should be no reason why you can't use synthetic oil on such a late model FX, regardless of whether the previous owner used mineral-based oil or full synthetic. Synthetic oil is best after the engine is broken-in though. Most high-end sportscars use Mobil 1 Synthetic as factory OEM right from the start (MB AMGS, Corvette Z06, Porsches, Cobra SVTs?, etc.). The high tolerances, reliability and service periods of sports vehicles today far exceed those of the 90's and switching between the two types of oils is not an issue as they used to be (ring seals/gaskets leaking, high oil consumption {eg 1 quart every 800 miles}, etc. etc.)

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... hetic+oils

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Synth and reg oil can be mixed in any ratio with no problems. That's what synthetic blend is; they are completely compatible. If still in doubt, simply decide what you want and buy your own oil and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replys.

I sent a letter (snail mail) to the person that I believe to be the original owner. He lives about 75 miles from Knoxville and did not have the vehicle serviced at the dealer. Hopefully, I will hear something from him.

From the above posts, it sounds like I could do just about anything that I want to. I will probably go synthetic.

Another question, I saw on Grubbs website a 15k mile maint. pkg. It included 4 oil filters, 1 engine air filter, and one of the micro filters for about $55. Is this is good deal? Does anybody go this route? Any alternatives other than just getting highend filters at the store?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Synth and reg oil can be mixed in any ratio with no problems. That's what synthetic blend is; they are completely compatible. If still in doubt, simply decide what you want and buy your own oil and take it to the dealer.
I have yet to do an oil service on the FX, however I have had my local Acura dealership service the three previous Acura's I have owned over the past 4 years and they always use a Quaker State blend. They use Quaker State 4x4 Blend for all MDXs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts