Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 15k miles and time for service. I vowed never to go back to my dealer due to previous service issues. The interval calls for air filter, oil and oil filter change; tire balance/rotation. I cetainly wasn't willing to pay the $380 for this service so I figured I'd get it done myself.

An oil change is an oil change. So I went to WallyWorld. Had them put in Mobil 1 oil and filter. Showed them how to remove the bellypan. I was even at the pit watching the guy perform the oil change. No problem right? Wrong!! When I got home, I noticed the bellypan bolts weren't on tight. So I go back to WallyWorld and they tighten it up. All is well, I think. A few hours later I get in the FX to run an errand. And as I pull out of the driveway, I notice a small pool of OIL!!! I go back to WallyWorld and they find that they didn't tighten the oil filter fully. I only drove a minimum of 10 miles throught this whole episode. I figured no harm done. WallyWorld re-did the oil change. All is well now.

Tire rotation/balance is next. WallyWorld refused to do it because they weren't confident their equipment could handle the 20s. That should have been my clue.

Purchased K&N air filter and did that myself. Easy install.

BTW, cost = $90 so far. Balance/rotate shouldn't be that much more.

I'm calm now. Thanks for putting up with the rant.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't go to the dealer for my oil change and I also have installed the mobil 1 ...the filter I use is the one from infinity...so just in case there is a problem I am using there filter....I would rather go to a reputable mechanic and give him your oil and just pay for his labor... don't like those quick oil change places...I have friends that are in the buisness so they work on my car...
Phil

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do oil changes yourself...very easy and only takes 30 min.
I use Mobile 1 5w-30 and Amsoil filter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I never do my own oil changes. Time and money are > than the effort for those routine tasks. Im sure someone will make argument for pros and cons... :roll:

I had Grubbs do the first one, declined the wash. Had no problems and it was only $30. I have a good relation ship with the Kwik Kar around the corner as the lead mechanic and ASE guy are the only two I allow to work on my other vehicles (the kiddos can clean/vacumm etc..ONLY).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Thousand Oaks Infiniti put me on their VIP program; 3.75K oil changes are free and I only pay for 7.5K service intervals (which is more than an oil change, it's tire rotation and rebalance, too). I used to do my own oil changes (as well as every other single piece of maintenance and repair) on my cars for almost 15 years- now I'm bloody sick of the "dos and hows" and just glad I can afford to pay someone else to do it. :)

(I have to admit a part of me somewhat misses it, then I do something like have to take most of the **** '45s air-system out to just put in a K&N, all the while sweating in my hot-ass parking garage like R. Kelly at Junior High recess- and remember how I got in that frame of mind!)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LeonPhelps said:
Seriously why would you bring a luxury car like an Infiniti to Wally World [-X
i would have done it myself but no ramps and i was on the lazy side that day. oil changes are no brainers so i figured i'd give them a shot. lesson learned. i just hope i don't get excommunicated from this forum!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
finsfx said:
LeonPhelps said:
Seriously why would you bring a luxury car like an Infiniti to Wally World [-X
i would have done it myself but no ramps and i was on the lazy side that day. oil changes are no brainers so i figured i'd give them a shot. lesson learned. i just hope i don't get excommunicated from this forum!!
You need ramps to change oil? I was under the impression that the ground clearance was enough to drain the oil without jacking up the car. I'm barely over the 1k mileage mark on mine and haven't had the need to change the oil yet. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think the FX is just low enough to make the oil change difficult without the ramp. the belly pan also needs to be removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts