Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I scheduled my 15k service and while I was asking what all the did, my service advisor mentioned they put in an oil addative at this interval. They use Berryman B-12 CHEMTOOL® TOTAL ENGINE OIL BOOSTER. Should I let them put this in? I use Mobil1 5W-30 on 5k intervals (having my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs this time as well to see how it's doing). Switched to Mobil1 at 6k, changed at 10k, now at 15k and every 5k after. Isn't there some blurb in the owners manual recommending against any kind of oil addative? Pros/cons? Do all dealers do this? Anyway, need opinions before my 4pm appt. tomorrow. Product info can be found here: http://www.berrymanproducts.com/default.htm
You'll find it under a "by product type" search for "pour-in".

They also put Berryman B-12 CHEMTOOL® TOTAL FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN-UP (T.F.S.C.) in the tank, which is no big deal (I run Chevron 93 w/ Techron exclusively, BTW). It's the oil addative I'm most concerned about.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Is this an Infiniti Corporate recommendation or the dealership service department recommendation? I would be more "comfortable" if it was Corpaorate as opposed to an individual dealership.

Which dealership is it?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's part of what I'm asking here. This is at Clear Lake Infiniti. SW will be the same (same ownership).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
That's part of what I'm asking here.
My guess is that this is a local dealership policy - one way to find out would be to call other dealerships (different owners) and inquire about their 15K Service details. I do know that individual local dealerships have a variety of options; e.g. the Acura dealership I use has a contract with Quaker State for their oil supply (but Acura corporate does not mandate a particular brand).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, from the owner's manual:

Oil additives
INFINITI does not recommend the use of oil
additives.
The use of an oil additive is not
necessary when the proper oil type is used
and maintenance intervals are followed.
Given this, it's interesting any dealership would do this at all. :?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Hmm, from the owner's manual:

Oil additives
INFINITI does not recommend the use of oil
additives.
The use of an oil additive is not
necessary when the proper oil type is used
and maintenance intervals are followed.
Given this, it's interesting any dealership would do this at all. :?
Hmmmm, I wonder what this does to the warranty? Probably nothing, unless additives are actually prohibited.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to skip the addative. I don't really have anything against them, but don't feel it's neccessary at my milage and given that I already use Mobil1. I pointed out the owner's manual blurb to my service advisor; he didn't know about it and brought it to the attention of the service manager, who said that using addatives or not was discresionary on a dealer to dealer basis (they use it every 15k miles). If you have any personal preferences on the matter, it'd be a good idea to ask exactly what is done at your servicings. My advisor also said they were going to be changing to synthetic blend oil for all of their oil changes in the near future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my dealer puts "BG" addative..... the same people own virtully every dealer in the area, and they used the same stuff for my acura also... but they do it on ALL oil changes... i never really questioned it, if the car gets screwed up...they will deal with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts