Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little off topic, but with the wealth of knowledge on this site I guess it can't hurt to ask.

I'm in the market for a new computer and am looking for suggestions. What I really want to do with it is edit my home movies. I've checked on cnet and they have recommendations, but am looking for opinions here as well. Not looking to spend a ton of money - less than $1000 for the box itself - monitor extra.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Gateway has set up shop in the People's Republic of C and now sells thru its dealers pretty powerful PCs that're priced @ 30% less than what a comparable model would set you back when purchased directly from Gateway. ( Don't ask what kind of marketing genius is behind this :roll: . ) As far as video editing programs, you're always better off buying one over the counter. Stuff that PC makers throw in for free is usually cheap crap.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
As far as software goes, Adobe Premier or Apple Final Cut Pro are good packages that are easy enough for beginners but powerful enough that even people in the editing business use.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i am not a MAC guy, but i always her how great they are for movie editing, etc.... any MAC folks here that care to explain if/why this is so? i would think that its just software and that the platfrom should not matter much.... :?:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mac!

I would go with a Mac, specially for video editing, its just soo easy to edit it, and burn it to a DVD. Also the whole Mac OS X is more stable and doesn't crash as often as Windows does. Also, with Mac, forget about pop-ups, spyware, or any virus. Just my own opinion!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
you got a good point there about windows ;)

i only use it for basic applications like word, ppt, visio, etc as i deal mostly with solaris and AIX systems at work.

i hear a lot of great things about OS X......my next personal machine might be a MAC or image my laptop with linux.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Computer

Thanks for all the info so far... Let me narrow the search saying that my wife works for IBM - no Mac's are allowed in the house. Even my Dell work laptop is frowned upon.

Any specific specs I should look for? Anything (software or hardware) to stay away from?

Thanks again for all the info - keep it coming!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: New Computer

GTFX35 said:
Let me narrow the search saying that my wife works for IBM
IBM employees and family can receive 35% off of many IBM PCs and Thinkpads. I use a T40 50 hours a week and they are very capable. I have a faster, custom-built PC at my house, but I use the thinkpad most of the time anyway.

If you want a desktop "replacement" notebook, make sure you get the 7200RPM 60GB harddrive, and a DVD-RW drive. I'm not sure if you can find firewire integrated.

If you really want a desktop, take a look at the Shuttle micro tower at your local Best Buy. Price is ~$999

·
Registered
220 Posts
I buy PCs at work all the time, and typically build my own PCs for my home, but every time someone asks me, I recommend buying a Dell. Quality PCs, good service.

Usually, I tell people to buy the cheapest Dell possible, as even the crappiest one has more power than the average user will ever need. You mentioned that you were going to do video editing, which indeed has higher requirements. I do video editing at home, and have a pretty good feel for what's needed.

Here's my recommendation ..I just config'd a Dell that'd meet your needs. $985. Dell 4700 w/2.8 Pentium, 512 Megs of Ram, 160 gig drive, Firewire/1394 card, 17" basic monitor, speakers, mouse, DVD burner, a spindle of DVDs, and some burning software. -- Although I did not add video editing software .. I use Pinnacle 9, which is pretty decent, maybe $60 option.

I suggest the extra RAM and large drive because you'll need it for video editing. Each hour of raw video takes about 12 gigs, plus or minus. A 30 minute project, with rendering and burning, can take good 20-40 gigs in total with all the temp files, etc.

As for the debate of Mac vs. PC .. that's just total bunk. Years ago, indeed, Macs had an edge and some killer graphical / video apps that were ahead of what PC software makers had. This is no longer true, and nearly every Mac software has a PC equivalent that's equal or better.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have a Dell XPS, totally satisfied with it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
mac vs PC

Well, I would have to disagree slightly on the "same thing these days" comment as there is still a lot to be said for an integrated OS, app and hardware that exists on a mac but is patchwork on the PCs for the most part. I have a Media Center PC with video editing (yeah - I work for a PC company, but if could make sense of it, I'd still buy a mac for personal use), and bought more software as well, but none of it really integrates or works as well as any mac I ever had did when trying to work across all your apps.

As for the IBM comment, your Dell is a more foreign machine than a Mac ever will be. At least IBM produces the PowerPC processor used in the Mac, so they get a good chunk of revenue. They get squat from Dell and Microsoft on your laptop, or any other PS brand. And now that IBM has chosen to exit the PC side, what loyalty is there in supporting Lenovo? Also, in a bit of irony, since IBM stated they were losing money on each box, you are doing them a favor not buying one because you would just drain them even more :) by doing so. At least IBM Microelectronics will make a profit on the Mac sale. (in case you really WANT to go mac and need a reason)

Otherwise, good luck on the PC side and make sure you see stuff working the way you want it before you spend lots of $$$ trying to patch things together that may or may not achieve what you want. Just a couple of fun thoughts. Stop by an apple store and play, and then stop at some PC store to try the same thing. Of course the one thing you will miss out on is the sheer joy of the software installations.... :p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ok, here is my question.

I'm not a computer expert like some of you are and have never bought a DELL or built a computer myself.

For ave. Joe like me, what would be the best "out of box"unit? SONY, HP, Gateway or other units you can pick up from BestBuy, Circuit City.

·
Registered
220 Posts
topguy said:
For ave. Joe like me, what would be the best "out of box"unit? SONY, HP, Gateway or other units you can pick up from BestBuy, Circuit City.
Personally, I advise people to stick with big brands, like Dell and Gateway. They have 24/7 support and at least try to keep customers happy. BestBuy/CC don't sell their own brands, of course, and sell eMachines, Sony, and HP, which have their own lines of support.

Dell consistently is a top performer in support and reliability. .. Here, read this article on PCMag's website -- 2004 Satisfaction survey: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1623706,00.asp

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
My company bought a lot of Dell and Gateway computers a while back and today the Gateways are pretty much extinct (they died for a variety of reasons). I also have two Dells at home (which run 24/7) and they have been very reliable.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Companies I have consulted for and worked for over the past 5-7 years have bought pretty much nothing but Dells. Generally speaking, most "in-same-class" computers will perform more or less the same when running correctly, it's when you have a problem or require an update that you find the value in the manufcaturer you chose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would buy the cheap $400 dell, then add your own cheap upgrades:
- add in another 512mb ram (less than $80)
- add in dvd +- burner (less than $80)
- add in an ATI All-in-wonder 9800 pro card
(will provide video capture from various sources)
(will cost you some bucks ~$300, but worth it)
- add in another 100+gb hard drive (less than $80)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have nothing but bad experience with Dell. Why would you want to buy a computer that is put together from parts that are manufactured by some unknown company? This is what Dell is doing. They have contracts with small companies who manufacture computer parts but in order to sell these, they put a Dell name on it....
I would rather spend more money and put a computer together myself with trusted parts... My $0.02.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree and disagree. When I want a PC for myself, indeed, I buy quality parts and roll my own. But when I recommend PCs to average users, as requested above, I go with Dell.

I would say I am surprised with your problems with Dell PCs, as we buy about 20-30 PCs from them each year and have had zero problems. That, plus the satisfaction survey ranking them best PC manufacturer, I feel pretty comfortable recommending them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
...plus I hate the fact that they load PCs with "useless software." I had to re-format my fiance's harddrive (Dell computer) to get it into a "correct" state.
In case if you have not noticed from this post, I am a neat-freak. I hate mess therefore my computer (and my fiance's by default) only runs software I approve and need! :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.