Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have the FX being looked at by the dealership fpr a number of issues (in dash CD player, blinking airbag light), and was told that my front struts are leaking and worn (114k miles), they have never been replaced. Also was told that both front lower control arms have torn bushings and need to be replaced. Cost of parts and labor for the struts quoted at $812 (seems way high) and for the control arms $834. Talked to my local shop and they can do it for $1400 total, but that still seems high. Am I missing something here, I feel like that is excessive. Would it be worth looking at KYB as a replacement, looks like some folks have had good things to say about those as an alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
edub said:
Currently have the FX being looked at by the dealership fpr a number of issues (in dash CD player, blinking airbag light), and was told that my front struts are leaking and worn (114k miles), they have never been replaced. Also was told that both front lower control arms have torn bushings and need to be replaced. Cost of parts and labor for the struts quoted at $812 (seems way high) and for the control arms $834. Talked to my local shop and they can do it for $1400 total, but that still seems high. Am I missing something here, I feel like that is excessive. Would it be worth looking at KYB as a replacement, looks like some folks have had good things to say about those as an alternative.
1) My front struts lasted 100k miles, so 114k miles sounds about right. KYB is the OEM maker. Therefore, OEM nissan struts and shocks for the FX35/45 are just KYB's rebranded to Nissan. So yes, get KYB as they are cheaper and ---- the same thing.

2) Bushing on front lower control arms -- that price is right for OEM control arms (they are expensive). The bushings are on the control arm so no way to just replace the bushing, unfortunately you have to replace the entire control arm. I have a set of aftermarket control arms if you want to buy them from me (BECK/ARNLEY) or you can just buy them from RockAuto, they are much cheaper than OEM and from what I can tell, look just as good (I have them in my basement).

I just never used them because just so happens that ALL other bushings failed EXCEPT the lower control arms (go figure). Might be cheaper to buy from RockAuto since they will have discounted shipping (these things are MASSIVE).

3) You can get coilovers that replace all the front and rear suspension for about a $1,000 (not the control arms).

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chedman13 said:
edub said:
Currently have the FX being looked at by the dealership fpr a number of issues (in dash CD player, blinking airbag light), and was told that my front struts are leaking and worn (114k miles), they have never been replaced. Also was told that both front lower control arms have torn bushings and need to be replaced. Cost of parts and labor for the struts quoted at $812 (seems way high) and for the control arms $834. Talked to my local shop and they can do it for $1400 total, but that still seems high. Am I missing something here, I feel like that is excessive. Would it be worth looking at KYB as a replacement, looks like some folks have had good things to say about those as an alternative.
1) My front struts lasted 100k miles, so 114k miles sounds about right. KYB is the OEM maker. Therefore, OEM nissan struts and shocks for the FX35/45 are just KYB's rebranded to Nissan. So yes, get KYB as they are cheaper and ---- the same thing.

2) Bushing on front lower control arms -- that price is right for OEM control arms (they are expensive). The bushings are on the control arm so no way to just replace the bushing, unfortunately you have to replace the entire control arm. I have a set of aftermarket control arms if you want to buy them from me (BECK/ARNLEY) or you can just buy them from RockAuto, they are much cheaper than OEM and from what I can tell, look just as good (I have them in my basement).

I just never used them because just so happens that ALL other bushings failed EXCEPT the lower control arms (go figure). Might be cheaper to buy from RockAuto since they will have discounted shipping (these things are MASSIVE).

3) You can get coilovers that replace all the front and rear suspension for about a $1,000 (not the control arms).

Good luck.
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I need to do a little research. I did not know that KYB actually manufactured our OEM struts, just thought they were an option as an aftermarket OEM replacement. Looks like those run about half the cost of the Infiniti branded version. Also, I checked RockAuto and can have both control arms shipped to me for a total of $303.80 (why would the left be $20 more then the right?), which is a little over a $130 cheaper than ordering stock from Infiniti Parts USA ($436). All parts ordered from InfinitaPartsUSA come out of Infiniti of Scottsdale, so go figure that it costs $40 to ship from Scottsdale AZ to Chandler AZ (about 20 miles)! I called and they won't let me pick up the parts. Looks like I should give Joe a call, maybe he can help. I have been talking with my local shop where I have taken the vehicle before, he can definitely get it done for less and I am thinking lower then the previously quoted $1400, which included $265/control arm. Not sure why the local shop was getting quoted for MSRP when I can buy it online for $198.

I have read that the ride on coilovers is a big improvement over Eibach or H&R springs, but those are folks that are lowered. I am not lowered and have never really thought about it since I run a 285/40 tire and don't have a large wheel gap. I have been fine with the ride quality and performance of the stock suspension, but for the money I am about to spend on new front struts, maybe there would be a benefit to install coilovers for someone in my situation if the ride is that good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,995 Posts
edub said:
I have read that the ride on coilovers is a big improvement over Eibach or H&R springs, but those are folks that are lowered. I am not lowered and have never really thought about it since I run a 285/40 tire and don't have a large wheel gap. I have been fine with the ride quality and performance of the stock suspension, but for the money I am about to spend on new front struts, maybe there would be a benefit to install coilovers for someone in my situation if the ride is that good.
Coilovers have adjustable height AND dampening... so you can stay at OEM height, drop your FX, or even raise it... and the adjustable dampening... you can float like an old Cadillac or be as stiff as a race car... there are 32 points for adjustment if I'm not mistaken...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input fellas, but I am probably just going to replace with OEM struts and OEM control arms. I will be getting all the parts through Infinitipartsusa which will save me a little and having the work done at my local shop will save some in labor. Also, as for the coilovers, I have been looking more and more for an FX45 to replace my FX35, so I am not planning on putting to much money into this FX right now, at least more then just routine maintenance, maybe sometime down the road for my next vehicle. I really want a DG with Espresso interior, but they are tough to come by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
edub said:
Thanks for all the input fellas, but I am probably just going to replace with OEM struts and OEM control arms. I will be getting all the parts through Infinitipartsusa which will save me a little and having the work done at my local shop will save some in labor. Also, as for the coilovers, I have been looking more and more for an FX45 to replace my FX35, so I am not planning on putting to much money into this FX right now, at least more then just routine maintenance, maybe sometime down the road for my next vehicle. I really want a DG with Espresso interior, but they are tough to come by.
Just noticed you have a rare caskyline grille, dibs if you ever sell it=)

My thread might help you:
http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/show ... php?t=9197
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chedman13 said:
edub said:
Thanks for all the input fellas, but I am probably just going to replace with OEM struts and OEM control arms. I will be getting all the parts through Infinitipartsusa which will save me a little and having the work done at my local shop will save some in labor. Also, as for the coilovers, I have been looking more and more for an FX45 to replace my FX35, so I am not planning on putting to much money into this FX right now, at least more then just routine maintenance, maybe sometime down the road for my next vehicle. I really want a DG with Espresso interior, but they are tough to come by.
Just noticed you have a rare caskyline grille, dibs if you ever sell it=)

My thread might help you:
http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/show ... php?t=9197
Thanks for the link to your thread, might come in handy. And yeah I have had the Caskyline grille since Oct '06, got in touch with Randy right after I saw the one he did for Rookie. Kind of glad I did, he didn't make very many. Looks like there are some one-offs on Ebay that look pretty good though. Mine needs to be sanded and repainted, maybe this spring. I will PM you if I ever decide to part with it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
edub said:
Chedman13 said:
edub said:
Thanks for all the input fellas, but I am probably just going to replace with OEM struts and OEM control arms. I will be getting all the parts through Infinitipartsusa which will save me a little and having the work done at my local shop will save some in labor. Also, as for the coilovers, I have been looking more and more for an FX45 to replace my FX35, so I am not planning on putting to much money into this FX right now, at least more then just routine maintenance, maybe sometime down the road for my next vehicle. I really want a DG with Espresso interior, but they are tough to come by.
Just noticed you have a rare caskyline grille, dibs if you ever sell it=)

My thread might help you:
http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/show ... php?t=9197
Thanks for the link to your thread, might come in handy. And yeah I have had the Caskyline grille since Oct '06, got in touch with Randy right after I saw the one he did for Rookie. Kind of glad I did, he didn't make very many. Looks like there are some one-offs on Ebay that look pretty good though. Mine needs to be sanded and repainted, maybe this spring. I will PM you if I ever decide to part with it. :)
Ya, he hurt his back from what I hear and decided to stop making them. Yours will fit a 2003-2005 btw, 2006-2008 are different mounting points.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top