Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 sport that is getting unstable suspension wise. I changed the struts and shocks but not much improvement. When you hit some bumps it feels like all 4 tires lose traction momentarily but then grab again and do a bouncing around number before settling back in. It used to be very stable but now it’s not. What happened?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bad bushings. I replaced all of mine at 200k miles with polyurethane bushings except the rear subframe and it rides like new.
I have a 2005 fx35. Thinking of replacing all my bushings with polyurethane. Do you have any link to a complete polyurethane kit for the fx35 ?. Have already purchased the "ENERGY SUSPENSION STEERING RACK BUSHING KIT -INFINITI (FX35 / FX45)" link. https://www.nedautoparts.com/produc...nfiniti-fx35-fx45?_pos=1&_sid=a355dc8f6&_ss=r I live in Norway so these Fx35 car are very rare to see here.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
152 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2004 Infiniti FX45 (115,000 miles) and my tires are bouncing all over the place (front and rear tires) when I hit all kinds of "small bumps" in succession. I thought it my be struts and shocks, but these parts appear to be only 3-5 years old (if that). And my car has relatively new brakes. So it looks like the previous owner went this route and then gave up!

So, this thread brings a huge smile to my face!

However, I'm a bit confused.

"Draja"...Are you saying you fixed your tire bounce by changing out $22.54 Ebay pair of Siberian "Polyurethane sway bar bushings for the front suspension" on this website: https://siberianbushing.com/catalog/INFINITI/USA/FX45/S50/2004 (See picture below.)

This is different than the Steering Rack Suspension bushings pointed out by "Micanfx35" as show on this website by Energy Suspension: https://www.nedautoparts.com/produc...nfiniti-fx35-fx45?_pos=1&_sid=a355dc8f6&_ss=r

So if one or both of you can comment further, what are ALL the bushings I should replaced? ...And do I need a wheel alignment after I change the steering bushings?

Thanks! I'm going to work on this project this week so your feed back is very much appreciated!

Tire Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Product Font Yellow Rectangle Line

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
152 Posts
Follow up comments....
Today I slapped some new 255/55R20, Michelin Primacy AS-LX, V-rated, 45,000 mile tires on my 2004 Infiniti FX45 and this did the trick! I am so happy. Here's the upside:

* My wheel bounce is virtually gone! (Note: All my suspension bushings looked good at 115,000 miles, but I was ready to replace the sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings as suggested above.)

* This Primacy tire is slightly narrower than my OEM 265/50R/20 tires and about 1/2" taller. ...And immediately I can see the tire took up a little bit more space in the wheel-well. This look was reinforced by the slightly higher feel getting into the car set, but none of this matters to me. ...And I like being up a little higher.

* Immediately, the tire noise was reduced compared my my worn-out old tires.

* Immediately, I now feel the steering is about 10-15% lighter. This is probably do to using narrower tire vs. OEM, and I am sure some credit goes to Michelin's Primacy tire construction too. Overall, this lighter steering is a major improvement as far as I am concerned.

Note: You FX35 owners already have a taller sidewall, and narrower tire, so you guys and gals may not know what us FX45 owners complain about when we say our ride is "too stiff." So I'm saying, you can solve this and your tire-bounce concerns by changing to a 255/55R20 tire.

* My ride is quieter too and I don't here the tire-hum I was getting from my old, 7 year old tires that were reaching their end-of-life.

5-thumbs up for Michelin Primacy. However, if you want a longer life tire, you might try the new Bridgestone Alenza AS AS Ultra that is rated for 85,000 miles and is supposed to be quiet too. This is an "H" rated tire, but that's probably fine if you don't speed past 90 MPH and I don't do that any more.

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
152 Posts
Note: You may not be able to install these tires at Costco or Firestone or Midas. This is because these "big-box" stores will only install the tire specified for your vehicle, which in my case the FX45 calls for 265/50R20. However, I did find Costco will install the Michelin Primacy 255/55R20 AS-XL on a FX45, because this tire comes in a "V" speed rating, which is what the OEM tire call out, and it is within 3% circumference. So you maybe able to haggle and get them to install the Primacy. However, this argument would not apply to the Bridgstone AS Ultra since it's a "H" rated tire.

. However, I opted to buy my Primacy 255/55r20 off Amazon for $166 each and I had them shipped to my local alignment shop, and they installed them with out any concern. So I would say, if you want a 85,000 mile tire, try the Bridgestone and see how you like it? ...My guess is that 90% of us will. ...I only went with Michelin, because I am biased.

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
152 Posts
I'm still interested to know if changing out the sway bars links will make a difference when it comes to fixing "tire bounce" on a bumpy road; or if changing the steering rack bushings makes a bigger difference?

For me, buying new Michelin Primacy tires with a taller sidewall (vs. OEM) proved to be very beneficial.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts