Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all my fellow FXers in the North East. How do you think your FX handled?

I had a wedding to go to last night and purposely left later in the day so I sould test the FX in the worst conditions. The drive is usually 25 min and the roads were terrible. I must admit I was not impressed with the handling of the FX and honestly am pretty dissappointed. I got stuck on a hill that even my old Mercedes c240 4matic had no problem tackling in a lot of snow and had trouble getting out of the parking spot at the hotel.

I wish I had snow tires but don't have any room in my apt. What a storm we got. This morning went to a parking lot and had a little fun :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our FX did great, being how it has been with us only 2 days I decided to find out how good (or bad) the 20" tire were. I parked it just off the driveway on the grass, then last night and this morning when I used the snowblower on the pavement I further buried the FX.

We had about 12"-14" of drifting snow plus my burry job left snow high, that covered all the wheels. On driver side (non-blown) side the door would not open the snow had drifted. The front of the FX would also have to plow though snow that was up to the hood for about 2-3ft in from of the FX.

Shoveled just enough to get the door open, reached in started her up, after a few minutes of warming up presto "Stuck".

Put it in "Snow" mode and it immediately came out.

Conclusion, there is likely no situation that we will encounter on the road that would be more stranded inducing than my home burry job. I am very impressed with the AWD/20" wheel/tire snow combo capabilities

·
Registered
599 Posts
After shoveling for about 2 hours I managed to get my FX out of my parking spot.

With 37000 miles on my tires and not much tread left I really didn't have much traction at all. Plus the snow was packed higher than the clearance of the FX. I did manage to get out, but after rocking forward and back everytime I got stuck.

The FX will get stuck when the snow rides up higher than the truck's clearance and you have old tires.

Anyways I didn't have to get out of the car after I shoveled much of the snow though. And I could still control the car.

So it's not a jeep in the snow... but at the same time it's better than a lot of cars.

I'll be getting new tires soon. AND I probably will NOT be lowering my car now...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
just to make you guys feel better, i decided to take my dirtbike out in the snow yesterday to see how those tires would hook up......yeah i know.....probably not the smartest thing to do, but i never claimed to be smart 8)

in deeper snow where the surface was offroad underneath it did well, but driving on the plowed streets to get to the dirt was ridiculous :lol: not only does the back tire wander wildly as you would expect, but the front tire does as well. its a balancing act like no other (probably good training for riding in mud).

in the end, im actually amazed that i could balance this 300lb bike at all on a sheet of ice. ....going back to the FX with bald tires was like a traction dream :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the FX does average to below average in the white stuff. You have to take it slow. With the 18" Potenzas I generally have no issues getting going but stopping is HORRIBLE!!! These tires are closely related to skis. I only have 5k miles on mine so tread depth is not the issue. The tires plain SUCK in snow and are average in everything else. It's a shame that there are no good all season choices for us in the stock 18" size. Winter tires aren't worth the hassle for the handful of days we have to drive in snow where I am.

One other important note; anything other than feathering the brake pedal causes the anti lock brakes to go haywire. I can stop in shorter distances feathering the brake or downshifting into 1 and braking which means the anti lock brake system needs some work... thanks Infiniti!

For reference, my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with Toyo A/Ts was many times as capable as this vehicle in snow.

The FX is an awesome vehicle that does many things great...snow handling isn't one of them. Better tires will no doub help but the stock 18" choice is garbage. I should not have to replace new tires due to Infiniti's compromises.

From what I remember in my 98 GTP, the Goodyear RSAs are a better tire in the snow. I know because I replaced the GYs with Potenza RE950s (which also were all season skis) I now have Sumitomo HTR+s on the GTP and can stop in the snow. Braking distances in the same exact snow conditions are easily half those of the FX's. (I did a lot of testing this weekend :))

Be safe,

Jerry

·
Registered
848 Posts
xmonger said:
I think the FX does average to below average in the white stuff. You have to take it slow. With the 18" Potenzas I generally have no issues getting going but stopping is HORRIBLE!!! These tires are closely related to skis. I only have 5k miles on mine so tread depth is not the issue. The tires plain SUCK in snow and are average in everything else. It's a shame that there are no good all season choices for us in the stock 18" size. Winter tires aren't worth the hassle for the handful of days we have to drive in snow where I am.

One other important note; anything other than feathering the brake pedal causes the anti lock brakes to go haywire. I can stop in shorter distances feathering the brake or downshifting into 1 and braking which means the anti lock brake system needs some work... thanks Infiniti!

For reference, my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with Toyo A/Ts was many times as capable as this vehicle in snow.

The FX is an awesome vehicle that does many things great...snow handling isn't one of them. Better tires will no doub help but the stock 18" choice is garbage. I should not have to replace new tires due to Infiniti's compromises.

From what I remember in my 98 GTP, the Goodyear RSAs are a better tire in the snow. I know because I replaced the GYs with Potenza RE950s (which also were all season skis) I now have Sumitomo HTR+s on the GTP and can stop in the snow. Braking distances in the same exact snow conditions are easily half those of the FX's. (I did a lot of testing this weekend :))

Be safe,

Jerry
The FX is certainly no Jeep (thank God!). My wife and I also own a pair of GTPs (98 & 99) with GYs, which handle ok on the snow...the FX is much better! I was out driving around in the little 2" that we got yesterday with no problem...23k miles on the original GY tires. And when I say no problem, I mean that I take it easy with both pedals.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We got 7 inches of snow here in northern MD for comparison.

The VDC, AWD, and higher ground clearance make the FX a much better vehicle getting going and driving than the GTP...no question about it. The tires, lower weight, and better antilock brake system make the GTP a much better stopper in the bad conditions.

I think the 20" RSAs make up the difference for you :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Chicago

We had pretty good amount of snow here in the Chicago area, and my FX handled great, I mean, is not like driving on dry pavement, but Its actually fun, fishtailing while still haveing control of the car. I took my parents '03 MB SL 500 like an hour ago, and its the worst thing I've driven in snow, Rear-Wheel drive + High-Performance Tires + Snow = Not Good. It took me a great amount of work to even get out my driveway, when my FX just goes right out, even if its got 20 inch. When my lease is over I really want a smaller car, but If I do have to buy an SUV, it'll probably be teh Toureg V-10 Diesel. I love Diesel engines

·
Registered
185 Posts
the FX is actually great in the snow, with Blizzaks, as good as my previous ride the Audi S4 with snows, anybody who say this car is not good in the snow is driving the stock 4 seasons= not good for snow. Living up north country side help me to know a bit about the subject :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
FYI everyone...
FX was buried under 3 ft plus of snow which included snow from my snowblowing. The snow was up past the doors and managed to clear off enough snow just to get into it by the passenger side due to more clearance from that side.
I threw her into reverse and voila...out she came! Not a problem.
Even with the drop and spacers she didn't have a problem with the snow. I would rather have snow tires, but the big 20's with stock rubber still handled fine. I have just over 16K on them. It is a '03, if anyone is wondering...no snow mode, but AWD lock.

I will be getting either better all seasons next year or maybe 18's w/winter tires.

I love this vehicle! 8)

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Well can't really comment, as the stock goodyear 20's are pretty much done. But it sure is a lotta fun doin donuts with this vehicle! We have almost 2 feet of snow and It's not too bad (considering not much tread depth). But that ABS and VDC sure is eager to come on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
fx45, 20 IN STOCK TIRES, snow = TROUBLE.

TURNING IS A BIG PROBLEM......

I got my 45 in Feb last year and it scared S^&* outta me.

This year,got 4 18 stock rims plus DM Blizzaks........... this is now a very confident vehicle in snow :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
We got 12"+ inches of snow with lots of drifts, and it was my first real test of the FX35 w/AWD on stock 18s. I wanted to see how the the stocks drove before I invested $1k+ on snows. Previously, I'd driven a Montero that was awesome for snow driving -- however, mine didn't have ABS.

I really enjoyed driving the FX in the snow. Indeed, while all cars will fish-tail on corners (given enough speed) I felt the FX did really well in getting the right amount of power to the correct wheel which made the fish tail short and predictable.

The Snow mode is really interesting, and I'd compare it to driving around with a trailer full of cement. I wish the switch was easier to flip on and off, though, as while snow mode is helpful on sidestreets with lots of snow, when you get to a main street with no snow, you really want to turn the sucker off, as it's like driving a totally different, really sloggy car.

I didn't have any stopping issues where I "needed" the ABS .. I did find it relatively irritating to have the ABS kick in at <5 mph, when I really didn't need it but the computer thought I did.

Also .. wow is the ABS loud when it kicks in.

So .. I think I've decided snow tires aren't really necessary. Would they help? Sure, but not so much it'd make that big a difference if you're any good at snow driving.

·
Registered
662 Posts
tazdevl said:
Anyone have Proxes on? How did they do? Eyeing those as a potential next tire.
Not bad on snow. It took two hours the other day to come home from Chicago downtown and on toll way, FX did pretty good job. I liked SNOW feature a lot since it did smooth out throttle delivery nicely. On highway, I leave VDC on but on local didn't like VDC's electronic intervention.

BTW, you're in Arizona, right? If I were you, I'd go with BFG for summer tire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting thread as I am getting ready to sell my 98 GrandPrix GTP/GTX for an FX45.

I am however, going to get 18" Blizzaks for the winter months. I think it's just plain suicide to try going through the snow on 265/50R20 tires.

That and the fact that GoodYear RSA tires on any vehicle (I've had them on three and my father-in-law on two), are absolutely horrible in the snow. And in the rain they just hydroplane like crazy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stock 20" RSA's with only 2700 on them, had to drive through a sidewalk with about 13+ inches of snow for about 30 feet(don't ask, a bus depot is near my office and all the buses were blocking the entire road).

The snow was more than the clearance of my FX and it did manage to bog down and get stuck, but nothing that going in reverse for a few feet and going forward again couldn't fix 8)

Drove it around town on unplowed roads and it is not too bad, braking is a whole nother story, ABS kicks in all the time and the car just glides to a noisy stop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stock tire sucks...

I took the car out on sat night to see how FX will handle in the snow. With the 20" Goodyear RSA the problem is with the tire not the car itself. I was all over the road on the highway but other cars has same problem. The theater I went to was closed so I decided to go nuts around the empty lot which was not plowed with approximately 12” of snow on the ground. The car handled well except on 2 occasions I had to reverse and step on the gas few times but had no problem doing donuts. Overall traction on the highway sucked but with 12” of fresh snow I didn’t have much problem :D .

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm from Houston TX and I have never experienced this much of sliding, please educate me. How can I get out of some thing like this? Will our FX's wheels be locking up on me like these cars?
http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=2098

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.