Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I now know what everyone talks about in keeping a black car clean, LOL!

I've had my FX for 3 weeks now, and it's right in the way of our automatic sprinklers that go off every 3rd day. So, I got my official welcome to water spots.

When shopping for parts for our 74 Nova at a local Pep Boys store, I saw that Mr. Clean car wash kit. I figured for 20 bucks, what the heck -- i'd try it.

Washed the car in 15 minutes and NO water spots. Seriously.

This thing is fantastic! It has an attachment w/soap and a filter that attaches to a hose. The trick is in the setting when you do your final rinse. The water is filtered and there is no need to dry the car. It dried by itself w/ no spots.

Just thought I'd pass this info on for folks like me who don' t have a lot of time to spend cleaning their FXs. If nothing else, I think it's a great solution for those in-between detailed washes and waxes.

Take care,

go6car

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, a few of us have tried it (myself included); IMHO, it's just OK. The first thing you'll notice is the filter doesn't last very long on a car that big and secondly, if the weather is warm or sunny, you'll still get minute water spots if you look close. I still had to go over the whole car with Z6 and a microfiber towel to get it perfect. Also, I don't really care for the soap. For Heaven's sake, don't let any of it seep out and sit anywhere for any length of time; it dries into this epoxy-tough goo (I got some on my work bench and had to chisel it off with a metal putty knife). Anymore, I just hand wash with my Zaino soap and use the Mr. Cleen unit for a final filtered rinse only, blow the main water off the car with a leaf blower (the less you touch black paint, the better), then wipe the remainder with a waffle-weave microfiber towel. Doesn't really take any longer than anything else and I maintain the cars' cleanliness with a CA Car Duster and Z6 so I only ever have to wash if I drive in the rain (helps to have a garage and a car cover). If I were you, I'd find a different spot to park or invest in the factory car cover. If you do get sprinkler spots, though, just use some quick detail spray and a good quality cloth; you'll be able to go between washes much longer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I've been out there before work every morning wiping off the spots, LOL! I'm OBSESSED with this car!

Thanks,

go6car

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
w/w MF towels are not only fabulous for drying your car, but one of the many uses noted on waynestowels.com was for yourself after a shower. Nahh, thats crazy - while watching the olympics, i noticed swimers and many others were using them. Hey @ 9 for $75 i figured i give 'em a try - Excellant! - Don't call me nuts until you try them for yourself.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Is that what they were using at the Olympics this year? I noticed they were all using The Absorber towels at the last olympics. I deffinitely agree that waffle weave MF towels are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Put a little white vinegar in your wash bucket. It helps with the water spots.

If you notice spots after you dry and Z6 does not work, use the white vinegar again there.

Does the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts