Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After came back from a week vacation, My 09Fx35 Awd with 196k miles recently having issues; it doesn't crank, just a single click noise even with battery is connected to a jumper. And the i-key was insterted into the slot under the dashboard

Prior to that, the car throwing a lot of codes for a while that caused Abs,brake, Awd, Ses warning light to lite up:
1. P0500
2. P02A00
3. P02A03
4. P0024

May i know where is the location of vss/speed sensor that caused p0500/vehicle speed sensor A? Is it in the tranny or which wheels?

Regarding p02A00 and p02A03: will replacing 2 o2 sensor located before catalytic solve this issue?

Regarding p0024: do i need to replace the magnet retarder on the driver side?

Any suggestion is appreciates. Thank you

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine runs fine, and tranny shifting fine. But speedometer and odometer isnt working. Although when i turn it on, both of them went to max and back to 0. However i need to resolve these pop up codes to pass calif smog test

thx

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
Per the above link: The P0500 is a speed senor malfunction. However, I would think you have to do a throttle relearn first. Is your idle RPM at 650 or higher?
  • Search for how to do a throttle relearn and other relearn steps too for your BCM.
  • If you still have problems, then maybe you have "wonky" ECM. If so, do a search on one of my threads on how to repair a common diode that causes you ECM to overheat.
I'm not sure where the FX speed sensor is located or if the crank position sensor accomplishes the same task?

How many sensors did you replace? I have a FX45 so my V8 maybe different, but I think the Crank Sensor is the tranny is the same. IDK. If you did not change this, try cleaning the connector first or securing it with a zip tie so it does not move.

Anyway, this is what the above like says about the DTC P0500... it is set when a vehicle’s ECM/PCM detects a loss of signal, or the erratic delivery of a signal, from a vehicle’s speed sensor. In most cases, this speed sensor is seated within the tail shaft of a vehicle’s transmission.

A transmission-mounted vehicle speed sensor determines approximate vehicle speed by counting the individual revolutions of a vehicle’s transmission tail shaft. This is accomplished by counting pulses produced by the teeth of a specialty designed tone ring, as they pass before a speed sensor’s receiver.

This tone ring is mounted to a transmission’s tail shaft and typically features a “toothed” outer edge. As the teeth of a transmission’s tone ring circulate in front of a speed sensor, individual pulses are created, most commonly in the form of a sine or square wave.

The faster a vehicle’s speed, the quicker the succession of these pulses. Therefore, a vehicle’s ECM can use such data as a reliable indicator of vehicle speed.

Note: This thread talks about a "No Start" problem, and more importantly you said you heard a single click!

This thread talks about a "No Start" problem, and more importantly you said you heard a single click!

In my case, this turned out to be BCM related. So I think you need to separate these other DTC problems from your original complaint. You also replaced a lot of sensors, which is a good idea anytime you have more than 125,000 miles, but these are not related to the click or the BCM condition you probably still have.

Suggestions:

• Search my thread on how to clean your fuses;
• And look for information what an Air Conditioning Applifier (AC Amplifier - located under your radio in the dash).
Note: The BCM receives and provides an "ok signal" from several systems in order for your ECM to send a signal to the starter relay which enables you to crank-over your engine.

One possible problem is that when the AC-Amplifier gets old it sinks current away from the BCM (especially in cold weather)... and then the BCM can not tell the ECM it is okay to start your engine. So you hear a single clicking sound when you turn the key -- and your engine will not start.
The cold weather symptom suggests you have a "cracked" or "cold" soldier joint in the AC-Amplifier which is easy to repair if you can open up. Just like most old PC boards including the ECM. So that's what I would do. Or you can bring the board to a radio or satellite tech shop to fix it for you in the $50 range.

Note: In my case, when I hear (heard) a click, I first attached a Lithium Jump Starter Pack to the battery and the engine starts. ==> But the good news is that I fixed this problem (1 year now) by cleaning my fuses next to the emergency brake. However, other owners who live in cold weather report they fixed their no start problem by replacing the AC-Amplifier. (Probably because they did not think they can fix it and/or your local shop does not do board level repair which is too bad.)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your response.

After new starter, and coils and plugs, the car starts ok now. It drive and shifting very smoothly. But speedometer still not working and p0500 p0507 p02A00 are still there along with Abs Brake Awd Slip Vdc lights.

I checked the tranny, there is only 1 connector at the passanger top side. But that one is the main connector that goes to ecu.

i dont think the 09 fx35 us the gear speed sensor anymore.

thanks again and if you have any suggestion/thought, please let me know.

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
I found this reference in my library, but it may not apply to your/our FX models. This video suggests some Nissan cars have a way to verify that your instrument cluster (speedometer and odometer) are working properly. If it is then the video suggests to investigate the speed sensor. However, as Vstar pointed out, he thinks our FX models use the ABS sensors to accomplish this task. (At least I think that is what he said in a previous post?)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that cluster diagnostic and everything works. Whenever i press trip/odo button, the tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge and temp gauge moves up.
This p0500 is really a mystery

Despite Abs warning light lite up, the Abs is working. I did tested it on the wet road.

now i only have 2 codes:p0500 and p02a00

ant thoughts / suggestions are welcome. Thanks

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
Did you clean your fuses?
Then would be cleaning your connectors with electric cleaner (one at a time).
If this does not work, then I would look at adding some ground wires to the BCM and ECM as signal noise is often a weak or bad ground problem.
Then I would access your AC-Amplifier and clean that connector. And if still no joy, I would take the AC-Amplifier out... open it up... and look for cracked solder joints under a magnifying glass. Then fix, and spend some time telling us (in detail) what you did to fix it. Good luck. I'm tapped-out.

REGARDING P02A00:
Did you replace your O2 sensors with Hitachi (OEM TYPE) or NGK? Or did you get some other brand on Amazon, which I don't recommend for an Infiniti.

P2A00 O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Article by Stephen Darby ASE Certified Technician O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 What does that mean? This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to all 1996-newer vehicles (Nissan, Honda, Infiniti, Ford, Dodge, Acura, Toyota, etc.). Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model. In my experience, when an OBD-II equipped vehicle has stored a P2A00 code, it means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a malfunction in the upstream (or pre catalytic converter) oxygen (O2) sensor or circuit. Bank 1 denotes the bank of the engine that contains the number one cylinder and Sensor 1 indicates that the malfunction is related to the upstream sensor.

Read more at: P2A00 O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
Are you saying your OBDII will not connect?

Next, here's a video on how to test your IBDM. Let us know if if works, because I personally have not tried it:

Next, If found this video that suggests... if your OBDII will not connect then you might need to check/clean or replace fuses inside your IPDM.

This cat complained his car would not start and the engine fans came on when he pressed his start button. Then he replaced his IPDM and everything worked. Apparently, the IPDM... powers-up the ECM.

So a bad IPDM will not enable the ECM to work right.

I suggest you buy-pass the first 3:50 seconds of the video and just watch the last parts.

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
This person fixed his P0500 code by replacing a $16 wheel speed sensor in his FX35:

After you solve your P0500 problem, please post a new thread describing your fix. Thank you!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did change all 4 wheel sensors. Then i rescanned it using advance scanner and now i got:
P0500
P02A00
U1000
U1001
P1721
P1574
P1212

however the car drive very smoothly and tranny shifts smoothly, car start on single crank.
Appreciate any suggestion

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
AC Amplifier? Clean your connections? Weak ground? IDK. I'm not a professional mechanic so when in doubt start with the easiest and cheapest. Did you clean the oxidation of your fuses located nest to your emergency brake? I keep asking, because this solves a few of my odd ball problems.

As for all those codes, please give us a short description and maybe someone else will see a pattern/solution that will help.

· Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
186 Posts
My friend, you are now in new territory I have not traveled, because my no-start symptoms went away after I cleaned my fuses next to emergency brake.

For reference to others, this website shows all the fuses locations and descriptions on my Gen1, 2004 FX45: Fuse Box Diagram Infiniti FX35/FX45 (S50; 2003-2008)

Note: Other owners have found that fuse block to the battery is suspect, and one way to troubleshoot it is simple: Just remove it and see if your codes change.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Office equipment

1 - 20 of 21 Posts