Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Philly rocks!
I dust 4.6 bimmers,don't even look at them anymore.
Level 10 can give you the part #,talk to Sam or Pat(the owner).It is modular and therefore much better than a moded stock converter,and capable of changes later
Inside the trans is a black box which has the delay feature on the shifts.They copied the box and put straight wire in it...on demand shifting!!!I am not Michael Schu,but it is just a flick of the wrist
On power,all it takes is a diff muffler or intake and claim a hp difference,When the motor and ECU are virtually the same!

Blue route,do not use it much,I have a relationship with Philly police and state police and they leave me alone,Delaware County is a diff story.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Inside the trans is a black box which has the delay feature on the shifts. They copied the box and put straight wire in it- on demand shifting!!
Can you get your guys to give up EXACTLY what they've done? Nobody else can get this unless we know what's going on- and in fact, I could probably make one of these myself (I'm a EE) but I'd hate to have to reinvent the wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fake black box is camoflague...it is straight wire,inside,I was told,you or a good trans shop could do it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
The fake black box is camoflage- it is straight wire inside I was told- you or a good trans shop could do it.
Cool. Where is it and I assume that it's description is somewhere in the service manual? (P.S. - if you don't have a copy of the service manual, drop me a PM).

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drop the pan,its right there!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Drop the pan, it's right there!
****, I was afraid of that. So you'll need to flush/fill the transmission, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup!,messy
Should not have to flush,but will need to fill
I will talk to Pat today/tomorrow to double check
Competent shop should do t in an hourunless you need the copy

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, please let us know and also if this will work the same on the '35. If we DO need the dummy unit, perhaps the place you had it done would be willing to sell the units w/ instructions to DIYers?

Couple questions:
-does this hurt the tranny/longevity in any way?
-how does this affect shifting in Auto mode and the adaptive trans?
-this mod work just as well with stock TQ converter?

FYI: Since this is not on the subject of the original topic of this thread, I'll likely split it off into it's own thread soon to draw more attention. If it's relatively as simple as you say and has no downside, this could be a very popular mod!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does not effect trans in any other way!
Does not effect auto mode!
I did this almost a year ago and just did the converter...to race you need this level of control

When Pat came back from the mid east, where he works on some of these Nissan trucks,he had some other mods for mine.that's when I said let's do the converter too(since other mods were so slow for the 45"s and I was getting bored with the wait).That was this summer.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Staring to drooool...

PLease get us that additional info. ASAP! :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
so what you are saying is that the manu-shift lag is "built in"?

what is the reasoning for that?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YES!It is 300-700 sloppy based on my experience which is just enough impercision to stop you from racing or pushing the rev limit..corrected it shifts immediately and you can push it 100rpm short of shift.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, not being a pesimist, but if this were really that simple and no down side, why haven't the Z guys been all over this? Makes me wonder if it's not the same for the '35 (but I hope it is; I thought both the '35 and '45 used the same tranny?).

Also, when you say run a straight wire in place of the box (or inside a dummy box), what kind of wiring and connections are we talking here?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to Level 10 this afternoon.G35.FX35,Fx45 have same trans.

Is it that simple,yes.People who rac e always look at the trans for major gains.As I said to you on a PM,the computer drops 3 cyclinders on shifts to reduce torque load on the trans(it a fraction of a second and you do not feel it).One drive with a trans interactive devise will tell you that.Did they know that!

So those 350/35 guys never checked it out...that is on them.
Level 10 will decide how they want to address this,the info is there for any competent trans shop.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
That mean they're not sharing? This anything we can figure out from the manual info?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Looks like , in time, WE may have something to share with Z & G gang. (only because their mods usually revolve around stick not auto.) - Y E AAAA for us! :roll:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Doesn't it seem a bit odd that Nissan would put an electronic transmission control module INSIDE the transmission? How do they keep the trans fluid from entering inside the black box? There has to be wires going into and out of the box, so I can't picture a perfect seal for this thing.

I know automanufacturers do some bone-headed moves, but placing an electric module inside a fluid filled cavity is insane. That's like placing the ECU of the car inside the oil pan. Why?

Did you see the original box when they dropped the trans pan? Where you present when they opened up this box? I'm no EE, but what would you use to 'slow' down the electric response of the sport shift?

I don't want it to seem as though I'm calling you out about this brnjugfx45, but all the cars that I know of that has an electronically controlled tranny has its module located outside of the tranny. Maybe by dropping the pan, you meant the undercover of the engine area??

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Level 10 will decide what they want to market!I will share that.I will continue to share how it works and kcrudup willshare schematics so I hope to be able to map this for the DIY group.As I have said any good trans shop can figure this out too!

When I joined in March everyone complained about this,I had already addressed it and posted the fix.Now there is some interest and I am still sharing what I shared in March...not a big deal!Level 10 is a business

PS There are a bunch of electrical connections in our trans and yes I saw them and the box.I do not know how that works with the fluid,but it does!The ECU monitors line pressures and shift points and yes those electrcals are "wet"

There is no calling out,drop your pan and see the same.I do not build them.

PPS Nis/Inf are not alone with elect in trans fluid

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
mhgsx said:
but placing an electric module inside a fluid filled cavity is insane.
Not necessarily; as an example, oil-cooled transformers and resistors aren't uncommon in high-wattage applications (there's probably one sitting on a power pole near you somewhere). However, that circuit must be bone-simple (probably just a simple R/C delay) if they're not worried about R-and-R on it w/o having to drop the entire pan.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe that answers that!When I hear from Level 10 I will post.When Kcrudup has schematics we will add that

1 - 20 of 91 Posts