Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay..........

in theory, this item can/will be a very effective safeguard for your upper end of the motor/intake (especially the new crawdaddie enroute to yers truely)...

now, to explain::::

the rear intake tube (aka Z-tube) has an inlet hose (15mm i think??) that is a rubber ventilation hose, stemming from a barb on the crankcase...... this vent actually helps to remove hot gasses in the crank (and by venting to the intake system on the motor, a minor vacuum pressure is present)...

this is done for two (main) reasons::::

1) emissions..... by reburning gasses, the exhaust will be cleaner
2) crank pressure contamination........ removing hot oily gas helps the crank spin better...

so............

should this be the solution??? to act as an intermediate in the crankcase hose and the throttle body??? where to mount this also??

questions, questions, questions.............

now i need advice.......

Brand New. Reservoir Tank is made from 6061 T6 lightweight aircraft grade billet aluminum cylinders.

Oil Catch Tanks collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and engine to keep them clean even under the hardest driving conditions. An Oil Catch tank is also an excellent engine dress up item that will give your car the race car look

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
How much is that thing? There are quite a few Z guys running a catch can and it's not a bad idea at all, but there are likely cheaper ones than that. I know Greddy makes one. Search around the Z forum for info and pics of it installed. I've seen most of them installed off to the right of the intake tube on the strut bulkhead.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
That LoOks CooL!!!
Hmmm... I see where indeed... it shur is pretty I'd want to see it all the time :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree, it sure is purdy

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You probably wouldnt need it unless you auto x or drive like you stole the car all the time.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ujmot said:
You probably wouldnt need it unless you auto x or drive like you stole the car all the time.
With everything he's putting in this car, would you expect anything less of him? :D

I aggree that from what I've read, it is really only benneficial if you are FI or do a lot of top end driving, but it is a fairly cheap mod and good eye candy. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have one.

BTW, is that one a genuine Nismo product? Doesn't really look like it from the logo font and packaging design.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MustGoFastR said:
BTW, is that one a genuine Nismo product? Doesn't really look like it from the logo font and packaging design.
i was wondering the same......

its a phoney, "nismo-like" product....

i think the nismo one is almost 3X the cost, and looks identical.....

i think i'll bite on it, from what you guys have said.....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
How much are they asking for it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Searched at ebay and they run for around $70

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'd be interested if there's a discount involved.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well if you could post some on how much the price would be reduced via group buy I may be interested. It's really only for dress-up.

I took apart my PopCharger and Z-tube and looked inside the tube and all and there was no oil residue. Meaning that no oil came up thru the vacuum tube. Took a clean cloth and wiped the inside and it came back out clean too. :p

Popcharger does it's job filtering! Also no oil coming from the vacuum tube!

So that just shows that the above would be for engine dress-up.

Es, it would come in handy for you with your vortech coming in though! :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Ak1nza said:
Well if you could post some on how much the price would be reduced via group buy I may be interested. It's really only for dress-up.

I took apart my PopCharger and Z-tube and looked inside the tube and all and there was no oil residue. Meaning that no oil came up thru the vacuum tube. Took a clean cloth and wiped the inside and it came back out clean too. :p

Popcharger does it's job filtering! Also no oil coming from the vacuum tube!

So that just shows that the above would be for engine dress-up.

Es, it would come in handy for you with your vortech coming in though! :)
You're looking in the wrong place. The oil blow-by would accumulate under the plenum (it come's through the tube on the underside of the Z-tube, which is after the filter, so that filter itself really has nothing to do with it). I noticed a very small amount on the underside of my plenum when I put on the Crawford; nothing to worry about, but there really shouldn't be any and I only had about 4000 miles at the time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Exactly, good places to check are inside the intake tube after the vent tube connection, the throttle body plate and inside the plenum.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Some interesting info. in this thread: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... adid=51064
See Skidazzle's posts. I'm not really understanding his logic, though; he confirms that oil is getting into the plenum, but decided not to put in a catch can? It looks as if the oil is really coming from the PCV hose on the pass side, NOT the hose connected to the intake tube. Still can't figure out why he didn't want to put one on that side, though. Anyway, it's late, I'm tired; somebody else figure it out.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
djlfx said:
Oil definitely comes out of the PVC valve and is being sucked into the plenum. I have a home made catch filter installed in-line between the PVC valve and plenum intake, it has been collecting oil for the past 2000 miles. I'll post a picture later. I'm not sure if there are any other paths that the oil could take to make its way into the the intake, need to read the service manual.

DJL
djl-

id love to see a pic of your install, WITHOUT the heat hat ( i mean engine cover) installed......

i am waiting to hear back from the above mentioned catch can to see the price structuring for group buys......

-sms

·
Registered
599 Posts
My mistake. I always thought that the it was that vacuum tube that connects to the intake tube that sucked in the oil. :p

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Ak1nza said:
My mistake. I always thought that the it was that vacuum tube that connects to the intake tube that sucked in the oil. :p
So do most other people and that's where the majority of them mount it. I'm not saying for sure that what I sated above is the absolute case in all situations; I just happened to find that thread where a couple of people actually tested it to see where they were getting oil. Skidazzle has one of the most heavily modded street Zs out there 400RWHP custom turbo set-up), so I tend to believe what he says and he's not using a catch can at all.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts