Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the part number is for the Nismo exhaust? I did a search which appeared to bring up the stillen exhaust part number. I have a local dealer that can usually get me pretty good deals on Nissan parts so I want to research that avenue a bit more but need to find the part number. I'm going to keep searching but this slow computer is killing me!!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wait, where is Kieran? I know he's not modding a fx:)

Lance must have gotten to you...

Product SKU: 20100-RSZ35. Nismo S-tune.

Sounds amazing...

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original exhaust is shot. It started shortly before Christmas and it's finally now cracked at the weld into the can. Or out... I don't really remember. I always forget when I'm away and then remember when I get back home. I had hoped that one of the options was a simple bolt-on but it sounds like there is no such thing :( I do prefer the sound of the Nismo from what I've heard in the various sound clips.

Who is this "Lance" you speak of? ;)

Thanks for the p/n

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Sorry to hear your exhaust is on it's way out...but glad to hear you are joining the Nismo family!

·
Registered
942 Posts
kieranlavin said:
My original exhaust is shot. It started shortly before Christmas and it's finally now cracked at the weld into the can. Or out... I don't really remember. I always forget when I'm away and then remember when I get back home. I had hoped that one of the options was a simple bolt-on but it sounds like there is no such thing :( I do prefer the sound of the Nismo from what I've heard in the various sound clips.

Who is this "Lance" you speak of? ;)

Thanks for the p/n
Why not HKS? http://www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/products/Pid=1996.html

Did you want a y-pipe, mid section and rear section? If so you need a kakumei Y pipe, HKS part number 32018-BN001 plus two polyurethane exhaust hangers to avoid a rattle. 100% bolt-on with the parts listed.

If you just need the rear section muffler, HKS part number 34005-BN002. 100% bolt-on.

I run the full cat-back HKS.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HKS lists up to 2006 so it would SEEM that I would have to modify it for the longer cat the same as the others. Personally speaking (and things are always SO much different in person) in terms of sound ONLY I like the Nismo, Invidia, then HKS.

Now cost and figment/modification need to make it into the mix as well when I make a decision. Thanks for giving me some more information and giving me a third option to consider.

·
Registered
942 Posts
kieranlavin said:
HKS lists up to 2006 so it would SEEM that I would have to modify it for the longer cat the same as the others. Personally speaking (and things are always SO much different in person) in terms of sound ONLY I like the Nismo, Invidia, then HKS.

Now cost and figment/modification need to make it into the mix as well when I make a decision. Thanks for giving me some more information and giving me a third option to consider.
Invidia has a bolt-on for 06-08 as Lance was the guinea pig on that one... good for you, bad for lance=)

I like Stillen sound the best, but that requires modification and uses cheaper stainless. I think you've seen John's.

I think you can do just a rear section exhaust HKS and it will bolt-up to the OEM mid pipe.

You know for Nismo, since you have longer cats, you no longer need g35 extensions. It will clear the transfer case. All you need is to extend the tips.

I'd talk to Lance again on this one, he has WAY too much knowledge on this...

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I need to do some more research and e-mailing and calling. I've been too busy trying to figure out what I'm spending my bonus money on for my track car. Finally putting that car on jack stands and tearing into it next week :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
kieranlavin said:
Sounds like I need to do some more research and e-mailing and calling. I've been too busy trying to figure out what I'm spending my bonus money on for my track car. Finally putting that car on jack stands and tearing into it next week :)
Yeah, what's rusted out on the OEM?

HKS and NISMO will last you the lifetime of the car. Invidia has rusted through on Lance's and a few others that I've known, but Gordon here sends free replacements quick from what I've heard.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't even really remember. I think it was either where the pipe comes into or out of the can. It's the weld that's not necessarily rusted through but at least broken the bead. I could do a fix but it's probably not worth it. I want a more permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the sake of helping others, here is what I've found and some of this comes down to personal opinion.

In terms of sound, I personally like the exhausts in the following order: 1. Nismo, 2. Invidia, 3. HKS. This probably helped sway my decision as well.

For price, IN GENERAL, materials look to be $1,200-$1,300 for the Nismo and $900ish for the Invidia or HKS.

All of them seem to need work. I'm not terribly familiar with the HKS since I didn't research and/or ask many questions after I ruled it out due to sound (and I've had a slighly negative experience with the company in a prior lifetime).

For those that want to know more, Lance is "Logan" ....

For the Invidia, he tells me that you'll need to remove 2.5" at the midpipe front of the flex. He also told me that, going back, he'd have adjusted the tip length back *IN* slightly (1/2" or so). He also suggested an additional middle hanger. I'm not seeing it in his pictures but I'm assuming it'd be pretty obvious at the time of install what needs to be done. All-in-all, you're talking about some fabricationg and welding. Slightly substantial but nothing crazy.

For the Nismo (back to my original question) you'll need part number 20100-RSZ35 from a Nissan dealer (I have a hookup so I'm extremely pleased with the cost and willing to spend some money to do the fab). What I will be needing to do is to take the mysterious G35 extension piece (http://mynismo.com/images/?id=4405) and adjust it to 5" long (I think they're 6" to begin with). In addition, I'll need to cut/extend the tips to extend beyond the rear bumper.

What made me make that decision was that, in talking to Lance, he told me that he found that the Invidia drones and I DO NOT want that. I have a track car with no radio and bone-jarring suspension/motor mounts to have the droning exhaust on. On my daily driver/street car, I do NOT want to deal with that! Better safe than sorry so I will go for the extra money and get myself the Nismo (like I said, the sound probably swayed me a little too)

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Strange... I thought the current sets that INVIDIA sold were straight bolt-ons... I heard that Lance was the first Guinea Pig for the exhausts and maybe that's why some fab work needed to be done for his set up?

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I know that they talked about mods for the 06-08 45's because of Lance, but not sure if they actually produced the new version.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, I contacted Gordon from Invidia who told me that work was still required to make them fit. Aside from that, and I know it's a subjective thing, I would DEFINITELY not want a bolt-on that would drone. Even the CHANCE of droning.

I tend to think that I do NOT have sensitive hearing. However, I went nuts when the OEM started to leak. Aside from hearing a different tone from the car under load under only certain conditions, I noticed shift points in the transmission, holding gears when decelerating, and gas mileage. I am CONVINCED that back pressure is directly linked to shift points both accelerating and decelerating and I'll confirm that when I get the new exhaust. Back to my hearing though... I was hearing an exhaust leak for a good 3-4 weeks before I was able to finally find a small gap at the bead weld where the pipe goes into the muffler (can't remember front or back... I've driven my car 300 miles in the past 4 months) I could not duplicate what I was hearing revving in the driveway, under overpasses, having someone else rev while I was under the car, etc, etc. If my NON-sensitive ears are annoyed with that slight noise, I DEFINITELY do not want to take a chance with droning.

I've ordered the extender piece, have the welder set up, and am just waiting on my parts guy to call me when he gets in since I sent him an e-mail late last night and don't know what time he comes in

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
K, I just had the welder extend the arms of the Nismo y pipe to clear the AWD transfer case...didn't need the extension piece.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too late now.... but another option, thanks. Not thrilled about spending the money that I COULD be spending on the other car but excited nonetheless. When'm I going to see you back at the track Rich?!? :)

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exhaust is at the dealer. I'm flying home this afternoon and will probably pick it up tomorrow morning after I pick up the power steering pump from a junkyard that needs to be installed in the wife's Maxima. Not looking forward to that :(

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They got started on my FX this morning. Problem being now I won't be home for two weeks. I may get just a little anxious between now and then. And with the typical flight delays I've been experiencing, getting home that Friday night will make matters worse!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts