Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished with fixing the faded window trim on my 03 45. I did this for the first time about a year ago and it needed to be repeated again today. Anyway I thought someone might benifit from this tip. You need some Bondo restore black and a scratch remover paste like '3m scratch remover'. Also get some latex gloves and a microfiber polishing towel. Put multiple dabs of the Bondo on your gloved pointer finger and put a light even coating on the top window trim. The back small window trim should not be faded so don't put it there. Get any excess off your paint with a rag and water. Let it dry for around 20 min. At this point it looks like **** and you will think you fff up. Now get the scratch remover and microfiber rag and start to polish the trim to a dark mirror finish...This takes a lot of elbow grease to produce the heat needed to smooth out the high spots. Do not do this in direct sunlight. You will need to look at the trim at different angles to see places on the trim that need more buffing BY HAND. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Looks really nice!
I was using Vinylex on mine, for the same areas and all other plastic areas if needed - that seemed to work great as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for this. Will try soon. I'd heard that most of these products work for about two weeks, but after that they're worse. I had a detailer try out some new product that was supposed to do better. If I remember he just did a spot for me, just to show me. I think it worked okay, but I never made it back before I moved. I finished the job with some "Back to Black" (I think it's called - I don't have it with me) but it went south quickly. It's been pretty bad since, but I haven't done anything about it. I was about to just use the same stuff again, but I'll try your products and method and report back, Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I got slightly impatient not being able to find your suggested products and had what I thought might be essentially the same products on hand. I won't know how we'll it lasts for some time, but the initial results looked similar to yours and have already outlasted anything else i've seen. I substituted the Mother's Back to Black for your Bondo product and already had some 3M Rubbing Compound instead of the Scratch Remover. My "theory" of what you're presenting is that the basic Back-to-Black-type product is a coarser polish that only does part of the job. This is why it turns hazy. With the Scratch Remover you're providing that finer, harder polished finish that should last. Extending the theory a bit, I also had some 3M Synthetic Wax left over from my Headlight Restoration Kit that I added for (hopefully) some extra UV and other mechanical protection. I'll try to keep you posted as time passes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That looks really good compared to Back to Black or a Black Wax that I have tried. I even thought about wrapping them in black glossy vinyl to cover up the hazing. May have to go this route. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Window trim removal?

The window trim on my '04 FX35 started to crack and peel up. I started removing the vinyl from the window frame, but it is really hard to remove. I tried to use a heat gun to loosen it up, but it only activated the glue and made it messier to remove. Any suggestions on an effective way to remove the vinyl ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most polish and wax should restore these window trims. Tire dressing is best for lower body trim restoring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great, tip - thank you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
After reading through numerous message about how to clean/refresh the black plastic trim on my FX35 (after years of neglect), I set out this weekend to refresh it. First, I washed the vehicle with Dawn dish soap to get all grime/grease off, then used Rubbing Alcohol to further clean the black plastic trim as the trim around the bottom of the vehicle and bumpers were pretty bad. Then I used Mother's Back to Black per instructions. Because I'd not done this in many years, some of the trim took several liberal coats to bring back the shine. Below are Before and After photos.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Before and After photos didn't post on the previous message because of size; I've reduced, so hopefully these will upload now.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts