Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just wanted to introduce myself I am Carlos Ramirez. I have just traded in my Infiniti G35 Coupe which I just loved for an FX35 Tech, Premium, Sport, and etc. I have had the vehicle for only a few days and really love it as well if not more. Infiniti of Gwinnett treated me well on 2nd purchase from them and I recommend you talk to Boyce if you guys need anything.

I will probably be modding it as I can't seem to leave things well off alone for some reason and like to get some my performance back as well :) I am part of Anderson Audio & Performance and we did a Greddy TT kit on Conv that did 351RWHP @ 5 Psi, and 445RWHP @ 9 PSI so that may also have to do with it.

Once I break in the motor I will start my mod process :) I am excited to have a new toy to play with.

I am in the Suwanee, Ga area so if there is anything going on in that area I am interested.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Welcome to the board! Make sure to browse the FX35 mods section to see what's available and what's been done already.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
welcome!!

you have definately coime to the right place (the above poster is my mod mentor!!)

there's a PLENTY of goodies foir the almighty VQ............

right now, im sitting on a mountain of em......... :D

BTW, I sold my fx for the g35 coupe.....

interesting turn of events.... maybe you can PM me with some secrets!

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Welcome :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
wat up :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the family! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the good welcome.

esemes.. There is only one mod you need its a supercharger or a turbo kit. Everything else doesn't seem to provide good results.

Here is my mod list I will be doing in order

1) Z-Tube + JWT intake
2) High Flow cats
3) UR pulley kit
4) Technosqaure ECU
5) Supercharger or turbo kit. Most likely either greddy kit or Dreamworks SC.
6) Stillen exhaust

I am going to add right the AV Electronics DVD player to view on my NAV screen and see if I can grab signal from the DVD player from the back.

If I don't do the SC or Turbo kit I am going to do the Tomei 270 cams :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
esemes.. There is only one mod you need its a supercharger or a turbo kit. Everything else doesn't seem to provide good results.
In that case it looks like esemes is all SET! :)

Welcome! I can't wait to read up on your modding. Sounds like we're going to have to appoint a mod-king in this forum (do we have one? MGFR? maybe it's esemes right now, although he cheats with his G35. hehe lol.)

Anyways again, welcome!

-Ak1nza

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mod king.. Does it count if its customers cars?

Check this modded 350Z Conv that we did (we did the performance another shop did the car audio).

Sorry for all the pics..

ADMIN.. Please let me know if I should remove the pics I don't want to cause you guys any problems with me posting this stuff.

Carlos

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
carlosrg said:
Here is my mod list I will be doing in order

1) Z-Tube + JWT intake
2) High Flow cats
3) UR pulley kit
4) Technosqaure ECU
5) Supercharger or turbo kit. Most likely either greddy kit or Dreamworks SC.
6) Stillen exhaust
1. good choice
2. I'd recomend Crawford
3. Just get the crank pulley; the other two are just eye candy
4. My source tells me they currently are not doing FXs; I'm sure they could, they just haven't tried it. The only way would be if you were in their area and worked with them to develop an FX specific flash.
5. Greddy would require quite a bit of mounting and piping modification. Dreamworkes.... when???? I'd recommend the Stillen kit; it's available now in an FX specific kit.
6. very loud. Not sure about that on an FX. The Borla sounds pretty good.
7. you forgot the Crawford plenum (if you stayed NA, of course, but that applies to the Z tube and intake as well).

I am going to add right the AV Electronics DVD player to view on my NAV screen and see if I can grab signal from the DVD player from the back.
Been there, done that. Works great.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Orange suede :shock:

Still cant get pass the orange suede

·
Registered
882 Posts
That has got to be one of the Nastiest interiors I have ever seen.
Why not put purple velvet and some feather frills in there while your at it and of course don't forget the dice :twisted:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't quite buy into the crawford plenum. The tapered designed of the intake manifold is designed for a reason. I have seen some flow numbers on factory intake manifold and I have yet to have anyone dare to show me some numbers on the crawford plenum.

Now there is maybe some validity to crawford plenum as intake volume of an intake plenum is recommend to be 1.5 X displacement which would make it to be 5.25L which is quite a bit.

We are a technosquare dealer and they don't really do to much in house as far as developement goes it is usually sent to japan to have a program developed over there. But the basic ECU functions are still there. The memory space for ignition and fuel trims are still in the location some of the other accessories that maybe an issue.

On the superchargers the stilllen does work will but if you really want to call a king for mods look at this dyno chart.

Its s Greddy TTkit at 5PSI at 8.5:1 compression.

Loud is relative some think the borla is too quite. Tho I would tend to agree that the Injen exhaust is very loud. Exhaust systems are tunable with resonators. However I think Borla is probably best buy available so I agree its a great exhaust.

I am not be arguementative :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
that a/f is nutz!!!!

it dropss off the charts!!

12.5 is ideal at redline, with that little bit of boost (IMK)

im excited to see ya posting stuff that i have been slaving over lately.....

as for the crawdaddie, the flow tested it, and found that (oem) starves the front 2 cyl's by 30% over the rear cyl's.... with the v2 craw, they got within 5% of flow...

heres a dyno, BY crawford (take it or leave it, you know!!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes that dyno was 5PSI on factory ecu and 550 injectors. The car was still going thru breakin at the time.

Here is a chart a 9PSI.. A/F was around 11 - 11.5 still a bit rich..

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
carlosrg said:
The tapered designed of the intake manifold is designed for a reason. I have seen some flow numbers on factory intake manifold and I have yet to have anyone dare to show me some numbers on the crawford plenum.
Yep, the reason was so it would fit under th hood of the Z, plain and simple. The Crawford plenum is a proven mod and you can find numbers and dynos as well as scores of testimonials (mine included) all over My350Z. It works; take it or leave it.

Not arguing on the Technosquare issue, just saying they haven't done any for the FX, so you'd likely have to be local for them to try it out, test it on your car, tweak it if neccessary, etc.

No argument the greddy is a great kit, but it's also quite a bit more expensive and complicated than a supercharger. I'm honestly a bit torn on mods of that caliber for the FX. It's not a sports car after all, and to safely be able to utilize all of that power, you'd need significant mods in the suspension and braking dept. as well. and possibly the tranny. Sure, it's be cool, but a Z06 would still stomp you and you could have bought one of those with change to spare for what it would cost for an FX modded out like that. The FX is a great performing vehicle for what it is, but I've given in to the fact that no matter what I do to it, it's never going to be a race car, so I'm just going to stick with the reletively inexpensive NA mods and save up for a weekend toy on the side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
actually plenums that are tapered are designed to balance air flow. If you notice the crawford fits the 350Z so it was not about fitting a 350Z.

As air is travels thru a contained body it will follow the path of least resistance mainly the the back cylinders. Thus the back cylinders will usually run leaner because they receive more air.

On Supra and Nissans which have non tapered plenums usually the last cylinder is the one to detonate. If you do some searching on aftermarket plenums that are made from scratch not just some plate built up on top of the factory one you will find that most are tapered.

Like I said the I don't disagree that the crawford won't power and probably need look again at the crawford and possibly just flow bench it myself but I still think there is a better approach. I talked to Mike Smith from MS performance and he was working on a spacer that would actually more effectively increase the volume of the intake plenum and maintain the taper of the plenum.

Also while dyno numbers do show results it does not show how well the plenum would work if you increased the volume and maintained the taper. I will call crawford and ask them for some flow numbers on their plenum I will post if I get any numbers from them.

The Greddy Kit can be had for 5K brand new, all the super charger kits are the same cost. How is it more expensive? The Procharger and the Vortech are the same price point. The stillen is actually around the same price in its stage 2 and 3 variations.

The Greddy FMIC does cost extra but it is not needed to produce the same numbers the others do with there intercoolers.

Very valid point the Greddy is more troublesome to put on as you have to remove the exhaust headers and oil pan and etc. But I think that it gives you the option to grow the vehicle for more power in the future and does not necessary eat up gas all the time or have a whine that Super chargers do.

Actually turbos act as a 1/3 muffler so cars equiped turbos are actually quiter by design not that most people don't put loud exhaust on them anyways and cancel that feature out.

Damm you got me on your last pharagraph Z06 will stop beat an FX even if only slightly modded (well it would be close a greddy kit putting down 400RWHP on race gas ) but you can always go home and get your fast car instead. And remember you are really comparing apples to oranges here Z06 versus FX not a fare comparison maybe versus a Porsche Cayenne or Dinan X5 :)

I know I should be grown up about my cars and stuff but **** thats just not any fun :)

I apologize to you guys for ranting on I am car nut and get carried away some times. MustGoFastR keep bringing it on and never grow up and give up hope on what you want to do. We have done some cool things to some odd cars for example we put a single turbo kit on a Mercury marauder that made 525RWHP which will spank a Z06 in a straight line, we put twin turbos on Lexus SC430 that is currently putting down 500RWHP on mid boost on a built tranny, so my final point sure you can beat a Z06 when your FX it will be more troubles to take the beaten path but at the end of the day to watch that Z06 owner face to know he got beat by a FX would be priceless :)

Here is an example one of our customers dreams .. This a twin turbo widebody with custom interior and stereo we have done.

http://www.anderson-audio.com/sc430/Sc430-roll.AVI

All sorts of more pics and stuff here

http://www.anderson-audio.com/sc430/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts