Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First of all, I am a new member of this execllent website and I just got my 04 FX35 for about one week. I woulld like to thank many of you regarding sharing your valuable experiences. I truely enjoy this forums and just want to say "Thank you all". :D

I kind of read many threads regarding "clear bra" but I did not find experiences or opinions about purchasing the kit and do it yourself. Is this process of applying clear bra very difficult? I went to some installer and ask about getting the clear bra done and the price is $1150. I live in San Jose, CA. One person in this forum used the same shop but said the price he paid is $750. I mentioned it to the installer but he dismissed it even I want to install the clear bra for two of my cars. So I search on the internet and find some sites providing step-by-step instructions about installing clear bra. It seems easy. :!: I would like to have your opinions or suggestions on this topic.

Thanks.
David

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your FX purchase!

As for the clear bra, having watched professionals install it on more than one occasion (it takes two people), I know I wouldn't want to try it myself, and I typically do everything to my own vehicle. I believe someone else here has, though, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, the bumper and hood pieces are very large and the bumper piece especially has to conform to various compound surfaces. To watch the pros do it, it doesn't seem that difficult, but I've seen them botch it up as well. All it takes is one mistake and the entire piece is wasted; ok if they're doing it, it's their dime to replace the piece, but if you buy a kit and attempt it yourself and screw up, you're out of luck and more $.

There are cheaper installers to be found, though and hopefully someone else here in your area can point you in the right direction. I got mine done here in Houston for only $395, which included the X-Pel kit covering the bumper, front third of the hood, fender caps, door cups, mirrors and top surface of the rear bumper. I used the same installer (dealt with him directly) that many of the dealerships in town use and charge $700.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is not easy and the results could come out less than satisfactory if you attempt this on your own. If you are good at tinting windows, you might be able to do this on your own, seems like a similar procedure. As mentioned in an earlier posting, the pieces are pretty big and they are not cheap even if you buy them pre-cut as a kit. Two companies that make the kits are http://www.xpel.com and http://www.stongard.com. Choose your installer carefully, If you lived in the NY/NJ tri-state area I could reccomend the installer I used. I used Detailing Dynamics to do the clear bra on my car and am very happy with the results. http://www.detailingdynamics.com. Look at their site to see what is involved in the installation of the clear bra. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Film help

Hey,

Applied the 3M master kit to my wife's FX last summer, and it was not easy. This was the "master" kit though, which I had to get specially cut (it has extra material at the edges so that you can roll--I should say stretch-- the film under the hood, fenders, grill, etc) and it looks great, but it took two days and step by step planning before attempting it.

I had never tinted any windows, but I watched an X-pel tape and, like you, I thought 'that looks easy!' I know that the regular film kits would be a little easier, because you don't have to pull as much. There are several pieces anyone pretty good with their hands could install....the rear bumper, door handles, and fender pieces, and maybe the hood.... all you do is spray the car and the film as you plll it off--once it's on the car it glides around with no problem.

The problem comes with the front bumber piece when you have to attach the film and pull/stretch it to a point on the side and then get it to lay down between these five different points--this was difficult on the hood, but a monster task on the front bumper where the surface is so varied and requires two people at times....although it looks great now to have NO SEEMS, and it feels good when the Infiniti service guys compliment it and I get to tell them I did it, I'm not sure I would do the front bumper again on the FX!!! :)

Oh, and I did have to call the guy I bought the film from twice to ask a question, and even he was surprised I did'nt need extra film. I guess my suggestion would be to get an estimate on part of the job, like say the hood!!, then maybe do the other yourself, but my best advice is plan out every step before you execute it and have an extra set of wet hands ready to help.

I payed $400 for the Master 3M kit
regular 3M kit was ~ $300
installation would have been an extra $1000
Used 3M because it is a little thicker, glossier finish and easier to handle because of the thickness

Hope this helps

Good luck,

Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all. I'm newbie here but have had my FX35 since 2003.

I found a guy in San Jose who put Xpel on my Wife's 2004 Sienna XLE Limited for 650. He covered the front bumper, the hood (almost all of it!), and the mirrors. I had my FX35 done with 3M two years ago but the mirrors' edge peeled a bit and collected some dust, so the guy peeled them off for me and applied the Xpel on them free of charge. Great guy. He does it out of his house and does all the exotics in the area (he has a Testarossa and Lambo in his garage with the Xpel on them). I'm going back to see him a few weeks to have him custom cut the tape for the headlights as manufacturers do not have them pre-cut due to their unusual shape (bulges out).
His name is Greg Simms, and e-mail address is [email protected]
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i ordered a deluxe kit (whole front, part of hood/mirrors/and all left over trimmings from the cuts) plus one of the special "yellow turbo" application squeegees for 185 and will try it out as soon as i get it, will see how it goes and report back...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bay Area Clear Bra

Try Jeremy at Invisiguard. (707) 328-5865. He services entire bay area and does excellent work. Hood, bumper, lights, mirrors, door edges and horizontal on rear bumperfor around 600

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok, installed it over the weekend...

my thoughts: don't attempt unless you have patience, have an eye for detail, and like doing risky stuff :) at least in terms of being able to destroy something very easily (the clear bra part).

i managed to put all the pieces on without serious issues (hood/bumper/mirrors/edge of lights). I think the mirrors were the most annoying in terms of trying to get things to align properly.

also, i had to cut the main bumper piece in half and put both halves on seperately, as it was just way to big for me to try and handle alone. the cut is right in the middle where the license plate holder covers about half of the cut, so only about a 2 inch vertical cut/splice is visible (if you're looking for it).

the stuff stretches rather easily, even when just using the squeege, you have to use just the right amount of pressure to make sure you get the liquid/bubbles out, and yet not so much that you're pulling/stretching the material. plus always have to keep the material wet on the surface, goes on much smoother/easier that way.

in any case, i'm glad i did my own, for the price its great, and quite frankly for my first time i think it looks very very nice.

as for whether i would do it again myself... that would depend on price, if i could get it done for under 400 (for all the pieces above), i would probably have a 'professional' do it, but its highly doubtful that one would do it for that amount (including the material itself).

i have a 1000 mile (round) trip this weekend that will show me how well this thing works :) although with the distance control cruise on, the only thing i should be hitting are those mutant bugs which luckily are squishy and should cause no problems :)

overall i'm very very happy with the results, plus i have a lot of leftover material left to cover other pieces i may want, like inside the door handles perhaps, as well as maybe a door edge guards, rear hatch guard, etc., etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see someone selling kits on ebay for pretty cheap, anyone tried it out. I know that its not 3M but it does sound pretty cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts