Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I switch off the vehicle control thing. My car has 16k and the dealer is telling me that the rear brakes are 10% left. They advised me to not use any aftermarket brake pads in the rear, cause they need a soft compound. WTF?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Are you driving so agressively that VDC is kicking in that much (You can always switch it off, but if you are driving that hard, I wouldn't advise it)? Unless you see the slip light on extremely frequently or you have the parking brake stuck partially on, I don't see how your rear brakes would be wearing so fast; the fronts should go long before the rears and nowhere close to such a low milage. That would be considered premature wear and they should be replaced under warranty (even if VDC WAS causing it) and they should be looking into the cause. If your dealer is uncooperative, try another. G35s had this issue, but this is the first I've heard of it on an FX.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. 8)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I think VDC kicks in too soon, too (and I know I'm an aggressive driver). I had 70F/30R in September for the same reason. I also tend to engine brake a lot with the ManuMatic, so I know my fronts don't get used that much.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I changed all my pads at 24k, and the fronts had 33% left on them and the rears were toast. Odd as I figured the fronts would do more of the braking as usual. Some manumatic at times, but VDC always on.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I read somewhere the FX uses the rear brakes as a measure to reduce front end dive. Thats where the wear probably comes from.
I had my new FX for about 5 days and changed them to these:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.j ... ramic+Pads

I wanted to avoid the black break dust from stock pads. I have had zero problems with the new pads. In reference to soft compound for the brakes, Tirerack also states the OE is ceramic.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
kcrudup said:
I think VDC kicks in too soon, too (and I know I'm an aggressive driver). I had 70F/30R in September for the same reason. I also tend to engine brake a lot with the ManuMatic, so I know my fronts don't get used that much.
this is wacky...if anything the front brakes should be worn 70%.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Judge said:
I read somewhere the FX uses the rear brakes as a measure to reduce front end dive. Thats where the wear probably comes from.
I don't buy that. The front doesn't dive (like-wise with the Z and G) because of the FM platform the car is built upon and it's "front mid-engine" layout which puts the weight of the engine behind the front wheels.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, given that, I'll conceed that it's then a combintion of platform architecture and braking, but note it also says "more even brake wear". Bottom line is pads wearing out at 16K (regardless of F/R) is abnormal wear and should be replaced free; this was a big deal on G35 base brakes.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The G and Z have brake pade that seem to dissolve just by looking at them. I couldn't keep the Z's wheels clean for more than 50 miles. It's just the pads that nissan went with.
The FX though is supposed to have stock ceramic pads, which typically last longer..... so, dunno.
Either way it's so easy to change pads by yourself, this is really a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It's an issue if you don't think you should be forking out the $ for new pads that often. I have 17k on my FX and well over 50% pads left all around. Yes, Nissan put super soft pads on the G to get better braking numbers, but they have also been replacing them for free left and right b/c there's just no excuse for pads wearing out that fast on a street car. Just saying it's worth looking into, rather than rolling over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seem strange since I am use to the front brakes stopping the car. Now that brake assist/ emergency thing...I feel like my FX doesn't really stop well at all- since I got the FX. I'm thinking of going with the EBC brake pads. Since this is a lease, I don't want to spend big $ on brake set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts