Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys look at this pic and see if anything looks like its screwed up? There isn't a engine cover but not sure if there needs to be anything else like that replaced? Or maybe nothing needs to be done? Thanks

[attachment=0:m4x7rivh]1.JPG[/attachment:m4x7rivh]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes youre missing the engine cover. Cant see much else since the pic is a bit small...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Looks like the former owner painted it some weirdo gold color, and put in an aftermarket intake tube and intake. Weird that they took the cover off- maybe for air circulation?

You will need to make sure to clean the air filter properly...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you make the pics bigger. said 125kbs for max.. I made it into 100 kbs..

Not sure about painting it gold but the cover is definately missing. Looks like some other plastic air flow parts near the fan are missing??.. I would assume I can put another cover on it and not have troubles with the intake connection. Suggestions for FX45 aftermarket covers? I saw one for the 35 that was sweet but not for the 45.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
dtdsmh said:
How do you make the pics bigger. said 125kbs for max.. I made it into 100 kbs..
You can keep the size bigger like 640x480 or 800x600 or even a tad bigger with a photo program if you have one, just compress the jpg more to fit under the constraints. A few attempts and you can figure out the best way.

dtdsmh said:
Looks like some other plastic air flow parts near the fan are missing??..
Yea the stock air box is missing it seems, but you wouldnt need that with that intake on there.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Kidding about the gold...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
dtdsmh said:
Can you guys look at this pic and see if anything looks like its screwed up? There isn't a engine cover but not sure if there needs to be anything else like that replaced? Or maybe nothing needs to be done? Thanks
Aw crap dude - you're missing the squirrel cage with the hamster...it goes on the passenger side near the front of the engine. Too bad - those things are ridiculously expensive and you lose all that low-end torque.
:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Use a site to host your images like IMAGESHACK... that way you can make the pictures however big you like...

BTW, don't bother going back to a stock air intake... the 45's run MUCH better when allowed to breath better... most have also seen a 1-2 INCREASE in mileage with aftermarket intakes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
psychopike said:
dtdsmh said:
Aw crap dude - you're missing the squirrel cage with the hamster...it goes on the passenger side near the front of the engine. Too bad - those things are ridiculously expensive and you lose all that low-end torque.
:lol: :lol:

Thats a wonderful idea! Hey do you like your Yoko Parada Spec-X's?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
dtdsmh said:
Thats a wonderful idea! Hey do you like your Yoko Parada Spec-X's?
Yes I do - good all season traction, quiet on the highway, and they seem to be wearing quite well. I've got about 30K on them and there is still a lot of tread left. I'll definitely buy them again.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I was aware of only one other air intake that moved the MAF closer to the throttle blades.It will promote turbulance and yield a less than accurate A/f ratio.That one tended to bog off idle when WOTTED.
Without the engine cover the intake air should run 5 degrees cooler

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brnjug said:
I was aware of only one other air intake that moved the MAF closer to the throttle blades.It will promote turbulance and yield a less than accurate A/f ratio.That one tended to bog off idle when WOTTED.
Without the engine cover the intake air should run 5 degrees cooler

Cool, so I guess don't put the cover back on..

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Don't need the cover. My has been cover-less for 6yrs, like brnjug said it will run cooler.
All looks in good shape to me.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You have lost the cool air feed in the fan shroud...easily replaced with an behind bumper and under filter feed tube

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Mods/changes that I notice:

1) Engine cover obviously missing. I would get another one if it were me, just looks cleaner.
2) Aftermarket intake, not sure what brand but looks custom.
3) Throttle body spacer
4) Something looks out of place with the fan shroud. I think brnjug is correct that the cool air feed was removed with the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
3) Throttle body spacer
Never understood the reasoning for that... it's not like it's gonna help add air or anything... just makes the plumbing to the plenum longer doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
DatMan said:
GixxerSteve said:
3) Throttle body spacer
Never understood the reasoning for that... it's not like it's gonna help add air or anything... just makes the plumbing to the plenum longer doesn't it?
Funny you should ask that. I actually bought a TB spacer for my Titan because I thought it would look cool and give me some more power. But then I did some research on the Titan forums and most people said it was snake oil and that it did little to nothing. TB spacers were actually designed for engines with carburetors, where the fuel and air mix before the TB. A spacer gives more time for the air/fuel to mix. Most spacers today have spiral rings inside to "spin" the air, and they claim this helps create a vortex that moves air through the intake faster. But on today's fuel injected engines, the fuel and air are mixed after the TB, so there is really no need to mix up the air. One side effect of the TB spacers was that it makes a whistling noise upon higher revs -- some people liked it. I sold the TBS to another member because I thought the whistling noise was cheesy.

Video of TB spacer whistle ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mNo9_hzQ4

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
brnjug said:
You have lost the cool air feed in the fan shroud...easily replaced with an behind bumper and under filter feed tube
Looks like an LMS intake on there...they've stopped manufacturing for Nissan/Infiniti but you can still find a few around. Brnjug, I'm interested in your "easily replaced with a behind bumper and under filter feed tube" phrase. Can you elaborate a bit on that? Or guide me to a thread in which it is illustrated?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts