Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought me a nice 2003 FX45 with 200K miles a few weeks ago from a good member of this site. I bought it knowingly smoking like it was running on straight oil. I decided to pull her apart to see what the deal is with these things as it seems all to uncommon. ( oil burner )
My first job was to undo the wiring drop the motor as i doubt you could get it to come out from the top.

Dropping the motor down is a real tease.. It only takes about 3 hours or so..

Let me tell you this is not for the faint of heart.. If you not ready to take a trip on the wild side with the tiny cluster of nonsense Nissan calls a engine turn your head now.

Now it was time to take off the gloves and dig in deep, swearing the whole time trying to figure out if this was designed to be a "total mess" or a "good design" Both ways there horrible. Its about 8-10 HOURS or removing parts just to get to the point where you can see the internals. You will have piles of parts laying around you. I would highly suggest a first timer takes lots of pics and labels baggies with the bolts on them

After a good nights sleep you should be ready for yet another day of play with your 4.5 V8. After 2 more hours i finally had the pan off this thing.. ( thanks Nissan for putting the front diff on and through the oil pan!)

Now when i got inside i honestly expected to see mass scars and carnage to the cylinder walls. To my surprise the wear on the walls was VERY light. There is no measurable wear on the bore and its still 100% round believe it or not.

It looks like a 50K mile motor. The cams looked brand new even the timing chain and other " high wear " items had no visible wear even the rod bearings looked nearly new.

Now, I was able to pull a piston. Thinking to my self that the piston rings would be hair thin and nearly no tension left to them with a HUGE ring gap, I was wrong again.
The piston ring still had a OK ring gap in the bore. I thought to my self oh no, The rings are not the issue however the blow-by down the piston tells a different tale.

The piston has coked carbon and oil all between the rings and the oil ring was full of it. My best take of what has happening with these motors burning oil is that it starts out as very light and slowly starts chocking the rings in the piston no longer allowing the rings to " float " as they need to thus making a oil burner as we had here..

My suggestion to the oil burners is before tearing it down take a product called sea-foam and poor in two full cans at the next oil change ( not adding the equivalent amount of oil that the sea foam take up ) and try this for a few hundred miles and do it again a few times. (making sure to change oil filter also ) I almost guarantee that this will eat the coke and carbon off the ring lands and get the rings to float again as they should.

On my rebuild i will be simply breaking the wall glaze with a fine hone and re-ringing this motor.. There is absolutely nothing else that needs done.. The valves still were in spec.

If anyone has question or if the past owner would like to speak up and tell what kind of oil he used that would be great. I believe this is a factory design flaw. running 100% full synthetic oil might prolong this from happening but its a matter of time with this factory ring/piston setup.. (Very loose to make fuel mileage and HP at the expense of reliability )

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Re: New FX owner, SHE SMOKES LIKE NOTHING ELESE! TIME 4 REB

I assume you bought Dallace's (who happens to be the site owner here) FX? I'm sure he will chime in, but he probably used mobil1. Most of us do.

Good info too. My 45 is getting up there (130k) and i'll probably have it til 200k so something to look into. Keep us up on how the rebuild goes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yup, it's his but I didn't know how he would feel toward me naming him directly.
I'll keep you guys up dated and she goes back together.

The current mobil1 oil is not 100% syn as most assume. It's now just a blend. There are only a few real syn oils. Amsoil makes 1 of them. Full syn will not coke up as seen like that.

BTW, My back ground is Mechanical Engineering for cummins so on paper I know what I'm doing.. Lmao.

·
Registered
470 Posts

good to see your getting down and dirty with the v8 tell us how the rebuild goes, from the looks that is a solid engine minus the oil burning..

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts

i am impressed!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

Wow! That's REALLY cool!

Wonder if you can get new pistons / rings from COSWORTH... they make parts for the VQ and apparently don't make VK parts but wonder if they have something that you could use in your rebuild... probably WAY better than what's in there right now... or are you just gonna get OEM parts to rebuild it with?

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

Pretty cool to see the progress on this FX. From one member it passes on to another.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, I'll be using OEM as that is the only thing I could find after a month if honest digging.
Lots of places list the parts but when it comes time to order there always " no longer able to order them" I ran into this 5-6 times..

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts

Welcome aboard, and glad to see you making progress. I'd be curious to know (if we could reverse time) of something like a seafoam bath could have uncoked that piston. I would be surprised if it could manage to undo that mess... But who knows.

We ran a Mobil One blend most of the cars life. Mobil Extended Mileage (5k or 7500 mile Mobil) since we were putting so many miles on it at the time (80+ a day). I got tired of changing the oil :)

However, now its a little sad knowing that it was possibly avoidable by using non blended oil...

Definitely keep us posted, and please if you get a chance we left a few things in/on the car. If you could mail them back it would be great.

-The Plate of course (as we talked about)
-Wife says there's probably 5-6 CD's in the radio
-Registration/insurance in the glove box.

None of these are critical, but it would be nice to have them back. I like to keep the License plates for the garage of all our previous cars/places.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yea, I can hook u up with that stuff.. As soon as I can get to it I'll get it. You'll have to wait till I put it back together so I can put the battery forthe CDs though

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts

It's really nice to see somebody new to the site working on the FX that started it all. And documented so well too. Great thread.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

IlovemyFX said:
It's really nice to see somebody new to the site working on the FX that started it all. And documented so well too. Great thread.
Good point. That FX should have an engraved plate on the dash that reads "InfinitiFX.org No. 0001/8087"

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts

Great post! Something to keep in mind for my VK down the line too.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts

nice work - keep the pics coming

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I finally got around to working on her. I got my new rings and gaskets.
I'll take some pics very soon..

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

black_pearl said:
I'll take some pics very soon..
Awesome! I was hoping that you were still working on her and sharing with us! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

All Right guys hope i haven't put u guys to sleep. Its been just a little wile as this was NO easy feat. It took approximately 30 hours or solid labor to rebuild her with my buddy stooping by to slow things down : )
Here's what she got he got all new Nissan OEM parts, STD piston Rings, head bolts,new timing chains and guides, full gasket kit, main bearings, rod bearings, front and rear mains, full tune up, transmission flush and a new filter, Parts cost roughly 1100.00 my cost but was well worth it in the end.

The current production rings aren't the same or in the same place as ones that came in this 2003. They are different.. for the good. There designed completely different with a scraper ring at the top and compression in the middle for some strange reason :lol:...(oil control )
Otherwise these engines are nice motors.. There was NO measurable wear on pistons, cams, crank or the timing. The bores were less than .001 out at the top..Not bad for a aluminum block with 193K huh?

Here's some photos as you all want, Sorry there is not a bunch as its a PITA to stop and take pics with a Iphone and greasy hands.
The last pic is a video i took. Hopefully the old owner will post his old smokey video.. That would be fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here's a short clip of it running now... I sear its the same one
Please click on it and it will direct you to my photo bucket

1 - 20 of 40 Posts