Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New FX35 owner (AWD, Dia Graph/Willow Int)....only 200 miles on it. I can't wait to push the RPMs after i break it in....like a 5 yr old waiting to go to Dinseyland :)

Well, it was a tough descision AWD or RWD, especially beacuse I live in San Diego and it's pretty much perfect driving conditions here all the time. However, I was intrigued by the AWD technology on this car and descided to go for it....try something new/different.

Well, the purpose of this post is simply to say "hello" and ask for feedback on the AWD during rain/snow. Praise for AWD? Any difference between AWD and RWD in cornering during dry conditions? I would have asked these questions before my purchase but here I am after the fact.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just wanted to say welcome to the group - I got the RWD so can't help with your question. Being from Houston I don't expect to see any of the icy stuff :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Just wanted to say congrats on your purchase and welcome to the ORG. I have AWD but no snow in Taiwan, but it does handle decently in Typhoon weather that I went through a few months ago.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Just wanted to say welcome to the group - I got the RWD so can't help with your question. Being from Houston I don't expect to see any of the icy stuff :roll:
I'm also in H-town and have one of the few AWD 35s in town. I bought it for the same reason as the original poster alluded to, i.e., intrigued by the technology behind it. Also makes a nice "security blanket" on the wet roads here.

Be prepared for poorer gas mileage though...:cry:

BTW - since the question doesn't involve a "problem" shouldn't it go into the General Chat section? :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
the AWD system is good. But remind you its not a full time AWD. It starts off AWD and then switches the power to the rear tires. But with that being said when the comp feels slippage the AWD system does kick in to the particular wheel.
So far the car is very stable in rain. I was doin 90 in the Rain two weeks ago and the car in front of me hydroed and demolished his vehicle. It was a Pont Grandam "99. I helped him out but the AWD sure gave me peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Personally, I would have gone with RWD in San Diego. I spend quite a bit of time there and the roads and weather conditions are fabulous year round. As stated above, the AWD only kicks in when needed (other than launches), and in adverse weather (rain), the VDC is more than enough to keep you on track. The RWD is lighter, quicker, handles better, gets better gas milage, is cheaper, there's less stuff to break over the long run and as a general rule of thumb: in dry conditions, a RWD car will be quicker around a track than an AWD car.

Like you said, it is after the fact and this is just my .02; You got a great car regardless and I'm sure you'll love it. Welcome to the forum! 8)

Moved by me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
And here comes my standard question: How much under invoice did you pay?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to a elite group. RWD here in DFW. I thought about AWD (just for a second) But, with the one or two days we actually see Black Ice None of my vehicles getout of the garage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So the AWD is the cause for the 13-18 mpg with my 45? I thought it was due to me having too much fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your replies.

Indeed, the RWD would have been the most practical choice for me in San Diego. Regarless, I just read that we may be having an El Nino season late this year and 2005. Perfect timing for an AWD evaluation in Southern Cali. If El Nino does arrive, I'll report my conclusions on the AWD in the rain and snow (snow in Big Bear and Mammoth).

Yes, gas milage sucks but you got to live it up! I knew it would regardless of the RWD or AWD.

Someone had asked about how much I paid....$35,500 (AWD, touring package, splash guards, lock nuts)

·
Registered
46 Posts
AWD FX45 here, wouldn't trade it for anything. I live in florida, every day it's something new.. combination of some form of rain and sun of some sort.

Anyway, I'm sure anyone in the USA heard of our one after another hurricanes in south florida here about 2-3 months ago.. My FX kicked. I actually had to go out in the hurricane (90MPH+ winds, torrential downpour, etc) (dont ask).. drove great, even when blowing sideways across the road.

The day after the hurricane was finally over I had to go out to check on family in "the boonies", the main paved road had been TOTALLY destroyed, all the large trees had fallen into it.. I was able to follow most of the "big boy" trucks (F150, F250, etc) over most of the regular size limbs, and around the muddy sidewalks.. There was a point when the road was completely blocked and you had to take the dirt road for several miles. The road was a mess, the rains had washed it into what could only be described as "slush", but I gave it a run anyway. I must say I was significantly impressed, there was an F250 infront of me that was sliding everywhere, and then a Jeep 4x4.. I had my AWD "locked", and while my ride was _HARD_, the vehicle was VERY controllable and not once had even any indication of even being caught up in the mud, even though the huge-ass 20's are not really designed for muddin'. Regardless, as a whole, I was quite impressed w/ the agility of my FX and glad I didn't still have my GS at the time.. :)

$0.02

·
Registered
471 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
The RWD is lighter, quicker, handles better, gets better gas milage, is cheaper, there's less stuff to break over the long run and as a general rule of thumb: in dry conditions, a RWD car will be quicker around a track than an AWD car.
Do you have any direct experience or information to support this?
The AWD system in the FX is pretty **** good; on paper, better than my Evo's setup (and that car would run circles around 99% of the cars out there)

In the rain, an AWD FX would post better times than RWD. I'm willing to bet a short twisty course would result in the same outcome. Only in wide open tracks with long straightaways would the RWD win.

Since there's great participation in the Houston area, you guys should hit up a local Autocross (Solo II) and see the performance difference between RWD vs AWD.

·
Registered
60 Posts
mhgsx said:
MustGoFastR said:
The RWD is lighter, quicker, handles better, gets better gas milage, is cheaper, there's less stuff to break over the long run and as a general rule of thumb: in dry conditions, a RWD car will be quicker around a track than an AWD car.
Do you have any direct experience or information to support this?
The AWD system in the FX is pretty **** good; on paper, better than my Evo's setup (and that car would run circles around 99% of the cars out there)

In the rain, an AWD FX would post better times than RWD. I'm willing to bet a short twisty course would result in the same outcome. Only in wide open tracks with long straightaways would the RWD win.

Since there's great participation in the Houston area, you guys should hit up a local Autocross (Solo II) and see the performance difference between RWD vs AWD.
Absolutely great point. The whole objective of the original design for the ATTESA system was to improve handling (it was designed to give the GT-R an advantage on the track). Which is why people seem to be confused when trying to compare it to 4WD systems on other SUVs. It was not designed to deal with off road situations where you were trying to ensure that all wheels were capable of getting a bite in poor traction situations. It does provide improvement over non-AWD by allowing distribution of power to the front wheels but it is not a 4WD system.

From a pure straight line performance perspective the added weight and drive train loss will make an AWD vehicle slightly slower than an RWD... but the AWD was not designed to improve straightline performance but improve handling.

Gary...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Info. comes from mag commentary (I forget the article that noted the RWD to be the handling winner based on skidpad #s, slolom speed, emergency lane change speed, etc.) and my own personal experience. The difference in weight and responsiveness is immediately noticable between the two. I doubt the AWD would have the advantage in autoX because of this, and it's a good half second slower to 60 and in 1/4. In wet conditions, of course AWD will have the advantage, but in the real world, you aren't going to be driving your car aggressively in the rain if you have any brains at all. It's kind of like the whole drag strip thing; once you start setting up your car specifically for 1/4 mile runs just to post the best time, you've lost all real world relevance. Same goes for this debate; who really gives a crap which one will do better in specific, controlled racing situations under certain conditions. The RWD feels better to me on the street, the way I drive, so that's all that really counts to me. Plus I have the STB and rear sway bar off an AWD, so my car is tighter than most. Anyway, others may feel differently, so that's why it's up to the individual to try out both and decide what's right for them.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Interesting response,I would add that Audi is consistently factored to more weight or other disadvantage to take away their AWD advantage.I doubt I would go to RWD again.
If handling is your interest,lower it too...beats the other 2 mods I'll bet.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I would imagine so. I've been thinking about springs and spacers lately, but need to sleep on it a bit more.

Also keep in mind that just b/c the FX's AWD is based on the GTR's system, doesn't mean it does the same for the car. The FX doesn't have nearly enough power to make AWD a real performance benefit, like the GTR or, say, a 996 Turbo. It's controlling/putting to the ground massive power in tight manuvering that really warrants AWD in cars like those. The FXs system is biased more toward safety/inclement weather/rough terrian than pure perormance.

I had my heart set on AWD when I went to get the car, but quickly changed my mind after driving them back to back. The RWD just feels better to me and the VDC does more than a good enough job in inclement weather to keep you headed in the right direction. If I lived up north, though, AWD would be a given. Anyway, it's really up to the individual. The AWD can pull you around very sure-footedly, whereas the RWD feels more like a sports car, with the ability to spin the tires a bit and even kick out the rear end. Just depends on what this vehicle is to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts