Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
This is what I have in mind and it's the cheapest way to reduce some back pressure. I can tell you that it will not make lots of noise, just a bit different :p
This project can be done at your local muffler shop, the result is still unknown, open for suggestions.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Interesting idea. I'd think it WOULD make alot of noise as at least half of your exhaust gasses would be bypassing the muffler and going straight out the left tip. I think our muffler flows pretty well; it's been pretty well documented that the most restrictive part of our exhaust is the cats and Y-pipe. The best cat-backs only gain 8 HP or so; hardly enough to be noticable and some cause loss of low end. Primary reason for exhaust mods outside of FI is just for sound. Pretty ballsy if you're thinking about hacking up your exhaust just tp try something different.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MustGoFastR said:
Interesting idea. I'd think it WOULD make alot of noise as at least half of your exhaust gasses would be bypassing the muffler and going straight out the left tip. I think our muffler flows pretty well; it's been pretty well documented that the most restrictive part of our exhaust is the cats and Y-pipe. The best cat-backs only gain 8 HP or so; hardly enough to be noticable and some cause loss of low end. Primary reason for exhaust mods outside of FI is just for sound. Pretty ballsy if you're thinking about hacking up your exhaust just tp try something different.
When I painted my muffler back then, I drove around the neighbor w/o the muffler and I noticed that it wasn't very loud at all but the car lost very much back pressure.
Since the exhaust gasses will escape out ON THE SIDE of the OEM pipe( not at the end/ 90° curve) so that I guess/hope it'll still respons well at low RPM.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, one way to find out! :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MustGoFastR said:
Well, one way to find out! :D
yeah I know, right?
I think since my numbers at the race track are very consistent, I can use that as a reference number which can help me in the future to determine which mod is good /bad. What you think?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sure, but this mod likely wouldn't be easily reversible. Just find a shop with a good welder.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
This bypass mod is very common in Corvette circles. I had it done to my old C5 with great results.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i mentioned this a long ass time ago...not gonna do much..the Corvette guys were the first to try this with some success

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mushutofu said:
i mentioned this a long ass time ago...not gonna do much..the Corvette guys were the first to try this with some success
Hi, please forward the link, I'd like to learn more about it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
MUSH thank you!I knew I had seen this before.
Contrary to popular myths the stock exhaust is super heavy and restrictive,just ask any one who has replaced it and is going faster!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brnjugfx45 said:
MUSH thank you!I knew I had seen this before.
Contrary to popular myths the stock exhaust is super heavy and restrictive,just ask any one who has replaced it and is going faster!
uhhh!!!, that would be you, I see you have 3" pipe with FlowMaster muffler. :p
-I once removed the muffler and supprised it wasn't heavy that I thought it would be compare to its huge size.
-My biggest challenge is how big that connected pipe be, 2" or smaller?
-My most concern is how/where to run a bridge (bypass) and still maintains it a certain pressure in low key and yet at the same time to avoid the distortion if any. I wish I have all the equipt necessary to test this project.
-I have the video clip. will find way to post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts