Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mulling over my new car purchase decision... I love the FX, but there are some other really great cars that I'm seriously considering. I know with this being an FX forum that I'm likely to get pro-FX responses, but that's okay, because I'm really leaning that way and would really like a nudge over the edge.

Background on me - I'm a big guy, 6'/275lbs. Had a Z3 Coupe two cars back, and sold it because it was just too small for me and I had enough. And I really over-compensated, buying Tahoe. Huge.

Anyway, I love the Tahoe, but I'm looking for something more sporty. And if I can keep a healthy dose of utility, well that helps, too.

Here are the cars I'm considering, and some thoughts on each:

Subaru WRX STi
Pros - Stupid fast.
Cons - Kinda small, potential for warranty voiding, scoops/wings too boyracer for me.

Chrysler 300C
Pros - Roomy, great styling, Hemi fast.
Cons - Chrysler reliability?, not an SUV.

FX35 AWD
Pros - Big and useful, still very sporty (as compared to the Tahoe)
Cons - Not nearly as fast as the other two options, dealer issues?

I know that an FX45 would alleviate a lot of the cons I project on the FX, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. I see the three choices as kind of a progression away from sportyness towards utility. The Subaru is all sporty, pretty much no utility. FX is still sporty (especially compared to my Tahoe), but adds a lot more utility. The Chrysler pretty much splits the difference.

I guess I'd just like to hear some opinions from those out there that have been in similar situations - and especially from those that have had first hand experience with any of the other two options. I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
aside from the FX, i would definately try the 300C for a test drive. people seem to like these cars. the STi kicks ass but not sure of the size for you. as far as SUVs go, there isnt a lot out there where you can get room, performance, styling, and a good price. porshe, toureg, BMWX5, etc.. are nice, but very costly for what you get.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, it looks like your criteria are pretty heavily waited on speed. How fast do you really want to go? The FX35 and FX45 are awesome sport SUV’s. Although, they are considered extremely fast for an SUV’s, there are many cars (some priced much less) that will be much faster then the FX. If you want Subaru WRX fast, the FX won’t fit the bill. I understand your dilemma; I was looking at an e46 M3 before I bought my FX45. I can honestly say I have no regrets going with the FX. A close friend has a M3, and we have on more then a few occasions done the car swap. I love the speed, and the handling of the M. After a full day of “boy racer mode”, I am ready to go back to my FX. The key is balance. The FX is part SUV, luxury sedan, and part sports car. I can go to The Home Depot, and flip down the back seats and load her up. I can drive 4 people (including myself) in relative comfort to dinner. Finally, I can get on an onramp like a bat out of ****. For me it was all about the balance.

Your best bet is to take some pretty extensive test drives in all the cars you are considering. Take all the information you can from the different forums, and make the decision for yourself. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If You're gonna do an FX (4300lbs.) A 35 WON'T Cut it for you :shock: get a 45 (used/new) or the 300c HEMI - or the new 400+ HP version.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm 'bout your size - give or take a few lb - and I gotta tell you that squeezing behind the wheel of an STi literally turned out to be a pain in the ass. The shifter was still vague and rubbery, even though it's supposed to have been an improvement over stock model's. Build quality just okay, rear seat a joke, and the trunk small. Winter tires are a must for that car, and the cost of replacing Brembos is likely to be obscene. BTW, in the UK this car is in the same insurance group $$$$$ as Ferrari. Otherwise, it has cool exhaust and - of course - offers haul-ass thrust.
The 300C has tranny, AWD and rear suspension lifted from previous gen M-B E-class. Again, assembly quality is nothing to get excited about. Visibility from behind the wheel not that great since the hood is tall and doesn't slope. So parking in those tight supermarket lots might become tricky. Hemi motor gives performance similiar to '05 G35 which is a V6. From what I know waiting time for models with 4Matic stretches well into late March. Lastly, Chrysler products aren't unknown for piss-poor reliablity and equally crappy sales/service.
The FX35 can spank most SUVs packing V8. If I had a nickel for every X5/M-Class that tried to bait me :roll: . For a vehicle of such size and heft the on-the-roll acceleration can be plain stupid. Once the VQ hit the sweet spot - it's watch-the-#$?!-out time 8) . Plus, it won't sniff out every gas station in the neighborhood. Basically it boils down to how " fast " is fast in your book.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback - so quick, too. Anyway, just to clarify some things and respond to some of the points made...

I'm not sold on used cars. I know most of them are perfectly good, and you get someone else to eat the initial depreciation and all that... But there are too many unknows for my taste. I'm gonna stick with new, and that puts the FX45 just out of the range I'd want to pay. Also, I'm not very fond of FWD cars, so as nice as the TL is, it's not really on the list, either.

The big question I'm wrestling with is just how much sport/speed I want, and how much comfort/utility I'm willing to sacrifice to get it. hombogero, you pretty much hit that nail on the head.

The WRX STi is out there... To be honest, it just barely makes the list. It is kinda small, and there are big question marks about the warranty. While Subaru isn't quite as bad as Mitsubishi on voiding warranties (read any Lancer EVO forum for all kinds of horror stories), that still is a big concern. It's just so hard to ignore the bang for the buck it offers, and that's why I can't shake it off. But it's in solid third place, well back of the other two.

I haven't driven a 300C yet. That's something I plan to do shortly. I've sat in one, and it fits me nicely and has great looks, both inside and out. I just wonder how much MB DNA is in these cars... Chrysler quality/reliability isn't exactly the best. This is probably the biggest competitor to the FX in my eyes.

The SRT8 version would be great, and if the estimates on price are correct, it would be in the ballpark of what I'm willing to spend. I don't think they're out yet, though, are they? I'll be sure to ask the dealer when I test drive the "regular" C model. The other strike against it is that I'm sure dealers will be wanting to get some markup beyond sticker for it, and I just don't play that game.

I have test driven an FX35AWD. Very nice car. Great build quality, great looks, much sportier than what I'm driving currently. I'm just about sold on it - about 95% there.

I guess I'll go back and take last looks at the WRX STi and 300C, more to rule them out than anything else. The WRX STi is only hanging on by a thread as it is... We'll see about the 300C. Does anyone here have any firsthand (or secondhand) experience with these cars? Any good forums for them out there?

Thanks again for all your feedback, it's much appreciated.

Matthew

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
krzys4 said:
How about Acura TL as an alternative?
If he's a true enthusiast, Honda's exclusive use of Wrong-Wheel Drive won't cut it for him.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Why not compare the Dodge Magnum instead of the 300C? Being a wagon, it would have more utility. I believe it is built on the same platform as the 300C, including the hemi and AWD.

Of course, the FX is **MUCH** better looking than any of the other cars you've listed...

-Andy

·
Registered
597 Posts
The SRT-8 would retail for a hair under $40K. It'll do 0-60 in high 4s and run 13 sec 1/4 mile. After the Hemi was enlarged they had to let go of the cylinder shut-off function which in conventional application reduced gas consumption by about 20%. So now expect schoolbus fuel economy. DC plans to produce 10K copies per year. From here figure out the possible mark-ups sleaze ball dealers may command.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I drove back-2-back Forester T and Outback with boxer 6. The Forester had the kind of suspension that would make Dodge Neon owner gag :roll: . Outback, on the other hand, felt almost like a Jag in comparison.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bigmatt, as a recent purchaser of a new FX45 and a big guy (6'4", 235lbs.) I would offer a little advice. Get a dealer or FX owner to let you drive one for an extended period of time (if you lived in Phoenix we would drive mine to lunch in Sedona). Make sure you can get comfortable in the drivers seat for extended drive times. If you're going to drive an expensive car, make sure you are comfortable. There are many on this forum that are tired of hearing FX owers complain about the uncomfortable seat, but some guys simply have an anatomy incompatible with the seats. A short test drive is insufficient to make a decision on this critical issue, I don't care how much fun the FX is to drive. I found out after my purchase that the seat was a problem (I didn't know about this forum or I would have paid more attention). I spent $250 the first week to have an excellent shop rebuild the seat cushion including cutting out some side bolster and adding a carefully cut 1" of padding to lift me out of the hole and even things out. The controls on the right side really are a stupid location, but more important, it really does get uncomfortable for big guys.

I wouldn't bring this up if you said you were 6'0" and 190 lbs. but you're not and you probably don't want to change your size to fit the seat. Leg room won't be a problem (FX has more leg room than your Tahoe, I also have a Tahoe LS), girth very well could be a problem. This is a fantastic car and I was more than willing to pay the $$ to get the seat right for me, it was worth it, but buyer beware. If you decide you are comfortable, the FX is the car for you. Best value, and kick in the a$$ to drive.

Good luck. 8)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am 6'4'' and 240, and my new FX (4 days old) is the most comfortable car Ive owned. camaro, civic, durango, tacoma, accord 330Ci, and now this. It is awesome for comfort, you feel as if your part of the seat. I went away from my 3 series because it was too much upkeep in West Virginia to have the bottom spoiler repainted every few months....too many hills. FX is an awesome blend of sport and size, and comfort. Also I think my FX45 can take 360 degree offramps at 70 mph a lot better than my 330Ci

·
Registered
509 Posts
bjividen said:
I am 6'4'' and 240, and my new FX (4 days old) is the most comfortable car Ive owned.
bjividen, welcome to the family. You're clearly having as much fun as I am. It's funny how some our size have seat issues and some don't. The seat back is perfect for me, just had to adjust the bottom. Give us details about your new ride (35 or 45), color, options, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the FX35 is a great car for the money. Look very closely to the comfort of the suspension. If you plan to drink a coffee on a bumpy road you will have a big surprise. I personally do not complain about the seats. there is no compromise between sport and comfort. this car is 100% sport suspension oriented (even without the sport package). Some peoples like it some not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big Matt, have you tried the RWD FX35. During my test drives the RWD model seemed significantly quicker than the AWD, plus it would save you a little money. My RWD 35 is almost as quick as my wifes new Maxima. Plus I'm getting 18mpg in the city and 21 and even 22 on road trips.

I would drive it for an extended period if you can. I find myself leaning to the left to escape the rock hard seat controls!! I believe my outer thigh is developing a calous though, so I shouldn't feel it much longer. (6'2" - 270lbs) .....I guess our group would make a nice Defensive Line!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good points all around. I have to agree that the seat controls are possibly the single dumbest thing I've ever seen in any car. WTF were they thinking?

My test drive wasn't *that* long - maybe 30-45 mins - but I didn't notice anything bad about the seats. In fact, I kinda liked them, as I recall.

Anyway, time for sleep. The roads didn't get hit here too bad, so when I wake up, I'm gonna go see if I can't scam a test drive in a 300C. I'll report my findings.

Matthew

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.