Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of the FX's have a limited slip diff., do they? We all have an electronic "brake LSD" right? I', trying to figure out if it's posible to replace our rear diff with the stock viscous LSD from a G35 or 350Z, but need to know the specs from the service manual.

Here are the specs from the G35c and 350Z auto diff:
model- R200V
Gear ratio- 3.357
# of teeth (ring gear/drive pinion)- 47/14
Oil capacity- 1.4L

Do the FX's diff specs match up? (non-LSD model should be R200)

Next, I really have no idea how a "brake LSD" works. Is it simply a function of the trac. control/VDC? Are there some electronic systems involved that would have to be taken into consideration when replacing the diff with a mechanical LSD?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sure you can swap to mechanical LSDs. Its a common practice in japan on highly tuned nissans running Attesa ETS/or PRo version. Just make sure you get the correct ratios to match the front diff. Mind you I'm not too sure what a brake LDS is?

May I ask why you are considering such a modification? In my experience most aftermarket LSDs are really noisy...so its a good idea like you say to go with OEM Z33 or G35 ones

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have RWD, so front diff is not a consideration.

Better cornering performance; why else would I consider it? :D

I'm hoping to pick up a used stock unit from a Z owner that's gone aftermarket (they're very expensive new >1k), but I don't know that many have; esp. auto owners. The 6MT Z's diff has a bit different gearing for some reason (but not the 6MT G35c). I saw on the Z board that Quaife might be coming out with a unit that's supposed to be quiet; not an aggressive racing diff.

The FX has an open diff (non-LSD); brake LSD uses the ABS to brake the slipping wheel, thereby sort of acting like a LSD. At least that's how it's stated in the brochure.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's teh excerpt from the brochure re: Brake LSD:

Integrated with the Atesa E-TS and VDC system, traction control with Active Brake Limited-Slip Differential senses wheelspin while accelerating, and automatically reduces engine output (YUK!) and brakes a slipping wheel(s) (read: slows you down), diverting power toward the wheels with greater traction. A computer algorithm estimates brake temperature, and responds accordingly, to decrease the chance of brake overheating. For stability, Active Brake Limited-Slip Differential is only operable at speeds below 50MPH (read: totally useless during high speed cornering.).
Now see why it'd be nice to upgrade? It also would appear that the brake LSD would be non-functional with VDC off. I don't know if it would interfere with the operation of a mechanical LSD if left on, since they both operate upon the detection of wheelspin. However, if the brake LSD is inoperable above 50MPH, that would help and leave the job to the mechanical LSD; otherwise, just turn off the VDC and you should be good to go.

So, can someone with the FX service manual check thase specs for me?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks; I'll take that into consideration. I still need to know if the gearing is the same on the FX as the G35, though.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! YES! It matches up perfectly for the RWD FX35. Now I just need to find someone with an auto Z that has upgraded to an aftermarket diff.; they are $1272.94 new @ Infiniti-parts.com. Ouch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Thanks! YES! It matches up perfectly for the RWD FX35. Now I just need to find someone with an auto Z that has upgraded to an aftermarket diff.; they are $1272.94 new @ Infiniti-parts.com. Ouch.
It is more likely you will find one on a totalled 350Z. Does anyone know where to find salvaged parts?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
dinofx35 said:
It is more likely you will find one on a totalled 350Z. Does anyone know where to find salvaged parts?
A google search yielded quite a few possibilities. Here are a couple:

junkyarddog.com - Does not list 350Z but you can probably describe what you want anyway.
autoguide.net - Lots of links to salvagers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts