Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent buzzing coming from my front right dash speaker. I have an appointment for my dealer to check it out next Wed., but the problem is that I can't consistently re-produce the problem on demand. It isn't reception related, as it is only from that one speaker and occurs during CD playback as well. Any ideas?

Can someone with the manual post up the pages that tell how to access and/or troubleshoot that speaker? I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Does the buzzing sound seem like it is coming from car vibration, distortion (like a cracked speaker), engine noise, or other electrical component noise? The manual lists some possible causes for some of these cases. I'll keep poking around and see what else I find. Here are the removal instructions:

Removal and Installation for Instrument Speaker

REMOVAL

1. Remove grille from instrument panel.
2. Remove screws (4) and disconnect connector.
3. Remove instrument speaker.

INSTALLATION
Install in the reverse order of removal.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man; looks like access is easier than I had hoped! I didn't dare to hope that those grills popped out that easily.

The noise is an intermittant crackling/popping/buzzing coming from the speaker itself. When it does it, the volume of the noise corresponds to the volume of the speaker, so it's deffinitely speaker related and not a rattle. Sometimes it will be fine and not do it at all and other times it will be quite pronounced. It is not related to movement or engine speed at all and only comes from that one speaker. I don't abuse my stereo at all, so it's not blown; kinda sounds like there's a short or loose connection someplace, so I figure best place to start checking is the connections to the speaker itself.

If you've got any other ideas, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Found this in the manual (though they don't seem to apply to you):

Noise Inspection

The vehicle itself can be a source of noise if noise prevention parts or electrical equipment is malfunction.

Check if noise is caused and/or changed by engine speed, ignition switch turned to each position, and operation of each piece of electrical equipment, and determine the cause.

NOTE:

The source of the noise can be found easily by listening to the noise while removing the fuses of electrical components, one by one.

TYPE OF NOISE AND POSSIBLE CAUSE

Occurs only when engine is ON.

A continuous growling noise occurs. The speed of the noise varies with changes in the engine speed.

Possible cause: Ignition condenser

A whistling noise occurs while the engine speed is high. A booming noise occurs while the engine is running and the lighting switch is ON.

Possible cause: Alternator

The occurrence of the noise is linked with the operation of the fuel pump.

Possible cause: Fuel pump condenser

Noise only occurs when various electrical components are operating.

A cracking or snapping sound occurs with the operation of various switches.

Possible cause: Relay malfunction, radio malfunction

The noise occurs when various motors are operating.

Possible cause: Motor case ground
Possible cause: Motor

The noise occurs constantly, not just under certain conditions.

Possible cause: Rear window defogger coil malfunction
Possible cause: Open circuit in printed heater
Possible cause: Poor ground of antenna amplifier or antenna feeder line
Possible cause: Mirror type film is attached on the rear window glass
Possible cause: After-market TV antenna and/or electrical accessories such as radio are attached on the rear window glass.

A cracking or snapping sound occurs while the vehicle is being driven, especially when it is vibrating excessively.

Possible cause: Poor ground of audio parts.
Possible cause: Poor ground due to incorrect installation of parts.
Possible cause: Poor wiring connections or a short circuit.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard telling. If it's anything more that what I can check right at the speaker, I'll just let the dealer figure it out; I just hope it will reproduce the noise when they try it. We shall see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:eek: Hey guys this is a great forum!! Planning on replacing all my factory speakers - just hate these paper wizzer cones!!

Anyway... anyone have any instructions for access to the remaining speakers? The 4 door speakers, how do you correctly remove the door panels? Can you get access to the speakers without removing the entire door panel, or are the door grills permanently mounted to the panels?

How about getting to the rear tweeters?

Thanks in advance... I've got Boston Acoustic separates I plan on using, is there room under the dash speakers for a crossover?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mustgofastr...
Just yesterday this started to happen to me, on the same speaker! I do however, crank the stereo up pretty loud, and when i noticed it - it was after doing so.
That could be my problem..
But ive cranked it louder than it was, and i often do...

Did you get this fixed? What happened?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had the dealer look at it yet; I am currently on vacation. I'll have it checked out later this month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts